• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowl-Outs

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
You can't compare a bowl-out to a penalty shoot out. At least in football there is a bloody great ugly gorilla standing in the way trying to put you off and block the shot.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
And really, the emergence of the bowl-out is testament to the poisonous nature of the attitude surrounding 20/20 - that our game is fundamentally dull and must be artifically hyped up to appeal to fans with short attention spans.
Very well said.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I has got an idea for games resulting in ties:

Each team gets one over each. Six different bowlers bowl the six balls. Batting sides can nominate of course who will face the six balls.

Won't take 20 mintues, me thinks.

Your thoughts?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The bowl-out is a foolproof way of ensuring a winner and a loser - and if that's the sole purpose it works well - but there was hardly any need for a winner and a loser here. India and Pakistan had both qualified for the Super Eights by then, and there was little purpose in extending the game further. A match which was a superb - and rare - meaningful contest between bat and ball was in the end reduced into the farce of a bowler bowling at the stumps without a batsman guarding it; even Dhoni wasn't too pleased by the concept. The next step could be batsmen hitting a stationary ball and then measuring the distance travelled. If a decisive result is an absolute must - and only then - should there be a need to resort to such gimmicks. Otherwise, cricket - in any form - is better off without it.

SOURCE OF EXCERPT

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think a catch out would be the way to go. Boundary style catches with some sort of way to get the same trajectory i=on each ball. 5 players from each team, just like soccer shoot outs and then sudden death after that.

I mean imagine having to catch that ball.
Nah, there's no way you could make that certified as fair. No two catches are the same.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's just rubbish. It is absolutely not a test of cricketing skill. There is no part of the game in which bowling and hitting the stumps without a batsman to defend them is required, and in fact the sort of deliveries one might bowl in a bowl off would likely be hit for six under normal circumstances. It really boggles the mind that cricket fans would attempt to defend such a ridiculous concept.

Penalty shootouts are a bad part of football, but they are a necessary evil, and penalty taking is a relevant skill. Bowl offs in cricket are unnecessary, and you may as well decide the game by arm wrestling or a foot race. Both involve abilities which have some connection to being good at cricket, but neither are cricket skills.

And really, the emergence of the bowl-out is testament to the poisonous nature of the attitude surrounding 20/20 - that our game is fundamentally dull and must be artifically hyped up to appeal to fans with short attention spans.
Wow, vintage Fuller. A gem the like of which we've not seen for a while.

Josh

International Regular
Maybe we could decide the game by which side has the more attractive romantic partners??

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
That's just rubbish. It is absolutely not a test of cricketing skill. There is no part of the game in which bowling and hitting the stumps without a batsman to defend them is required, and in fact the sort of deliveries one might bowl in a bowl off would likely be hit for six under normal circumstances. It really boggles the mind that cricket fans would attempt to defend such a ridiculous concept.

Penalty shootouts are a bad part of football, but they are a necessary evil, and penalty taking is a relevant skill. Bowl offs in cricket are unnecessary, and you may as well decide the game by arm wrestling or a foot race. Both involve abilities which have some connection to being good at cricket, but neither are cricket skills.

As I wrote before, they had bowl outs in English domestic cricket (when a knockout tie couldn't be completed because of the weather) 12 years before 20/20 begun here. Still I suppose for a tied knock out game you could use a toss of a coin....

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
As I wrote before, they had bowl outs in English domestic cricket (when a knockout tie couldn't be completed because of the weather) 12 years before 20/20 begun here.
Didn't know that but so what?

Who says stupid concepts dont have a history ? :dry:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Couldn't agree with this more. This is why I hate the introduction of dancers/cheerleaders and any other references to American sports (like the use of the word dugout).

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
How the hell could an International player miss the stumps?

It is such a stupid idea, I can't believe it. I would rather extra time, even if it is just an extra over.

Or they could have a field off similar to donkey, but instead you spell out the word dire...

So a player from team 'A' chooses a place to throw the ball and he has to hit the stumps. if he does and team b misses he is on D and so on. LOL

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Or they could have a field off similar to donkey, but instead you spell out the word dire...

So a player from team 'A' chooses a place to throw the ball and he has to hit the stumps. if he does and team b misses he is on D and so on. LOL
BRILLIANT !!!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Let's try some more ideas. They should be 'entertaining' in keeping with the 'spirit' of T20 .

They could play antakshari ! :)

I am afraid only Indian and Pakistani fans may recognise the word.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Oh, so you don't like that word? ;)
I think it has to do with being a traditionalist, something cricket fans have loved being over time. Things are changing but cricket WAS different in many respects and anything that makes it look as if we are 'apeing' the 'American' way does make many cringe as they do in other areas of life.

It may have something to do with the 'Englishness" of the game. :)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think it has to do with being a traditionalist, something cricket fans have loved being over time. Things are changing but cricket WAS different in many respects and anything that makes it look as if we are 'apeing' the 'American' way does make many cringe as they do in other areas of life.

It may have something to do with the 'Englishness" of the game. :)
Yeah, I agree really. I was just stirring nightprowler up - inside joke. :p

jot1

State Vice-Captain
BRILLIANT !!!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Let's try some more ideas. They should be 'entertaining' in keeping with the 'spirit' of T20 .

They could play antakshari ! :)

I am afraid only Indian and Pakistani fans may recognise the word.
Each side chooses one of the dancing girls to represent their side and let her bowl.:dry:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
How about they get a bowling machine out and 6 batsmen get judged by the 3 umpires on who has the best blocking technique.

The players would be judged out of 10 and the team with the highest score wins.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Drop dead stroke : How about getting five batsmen to block five deliveries by a bowling machine and try to drop them dead. The distance the ball travels for each of the batsmen to be added up and the team with the lower distance wins :)