• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What an awful concept

Xuhaib

International Coach
Thanks ICC!!!

Just to fill in your coffers you have been able to devise a format where class cricketers like Pollock and Nitini will become a liability for their team and mediocre FTB like Gayle and Kemp will rule the roost..

:wallbash: :@

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thanks ICC!!!

Just to fill in your coffers you have been able to devise a format where class cricketers like Pollock and Nitini will become a liability for their team and mediocre FTB like Gayle and Kemp will rule the roost..

:wallbash: :@
Get over it, if you don't like Twenty20 then don't watch it. I beleive there is a whole society where you can moan and whinge all you like.

grecian

Called France. I mean TTIBS
:laugh:

TBH, wasn't Ntini fairly hopeless in the real World Cup too.

I did think West Indies terrible performance in the field, did take a bit of gloss off the match. No-one enjoys watching ineptitude in Tests, ODIs or Twenty/20.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
It didn't take as much gloss off it as all the other bull****. Teams play poorly from time to time, and it wasn't that much worse than I've seen the West Indies play at other times.

But yeah, it was kind of dismal seeing Ntini bowl two overs while the mighty Philander sent down the 20th. Says a lot about the format.

Perm

But yeah, it was kind of dismal seeing Ntini bowl two overs while the mighty Philander sent down the 20th. Says a lot about the format.
Philander was bowling better. Obviously he isn't the better bowler, but in terms of Twenty20 and this particular game then I think he is. It does say a lot about the fromat, that you have to have different skills and abilities as you do to be a successful ODI or Test bowler.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Philander was bowling better. Obviously he isn't the better bowler, but in terms of Twenty20 and this particular game then I think he is. It does say a lot about the fromat, that you have to have different skills and abilities as you do to be a successful ODI or Test bowler.
Didn't you just say he was "obviously" not a better bowler? What you say is true, you do need different skills to be successful in 20/20, but the aims and desired skillset for bowlers in particular is far divorced from what is traditionally considered cricketing skill. Certain moments where that becomes particularly apparent leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Seeing a bowler of Ntini's class first bowl to a completely defensive field with a new ball and then be overlooked in favour of a medium pacer at the death was one of those moments.

Xuhaib

International Coach
That says a lot about this format, it basically encourages rubbish bits n pieces take pace of the ball and then slog like mad cricketers over the more classical ones.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Didn't you just say he was "obviously" not a better bowler? What you say is true, you do need different skills to be successful in 20/20, but the aims and desired skillset for bowlers in particular is far divorced from what is traditionally considered cricketing skill. Certain moments where that becomes particularly apparent leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Seeing a bowler of Ntini's class first bowl to a completely defensive field with a new ball and then be overlooked in favour of a medium pacer at the death was one of those moments.
AWTA

Perm

Understandable, and I certainly see it from your point of view. In the same regard I like to see bowlers who are able to adapt to Twenty20 cricket and who can defeat the batsman, or do the job for their team.

Perm

That says a lot about this format, it basically encourages rubbish bits n pieces take pace of the ball and then slog like mad cricketers over the more classical ones.
Twenty20 isn't Test cricket, so there will be aggressive sloggers who are successful in this format of the game. Equally, we have seen in the past that those players willing to play genuine cricket strokes and ooze aggression can also be successful. You don't have to be a slogger to succeed, you just have to be able to play your shots.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Gayle, of course can make good bowlers look crap in Test cricket too (CT 2004, Hoggard hit for 24 in an over at the Oval in 2004) and no one says Test cricket is crap. If you don't like 20 20 don't watch it (and this is coming from someone who was against it before it started in 2003). It's not Test cricket and one will struggle to remember it a week later but its good fun on the night - and anyway Polock (definately) and Ntini (maybe?) aren't as good as they were...

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
But yeah, it was kind of dismal seeing Ntini bowl two overs while the mighty Philander sent down the 20th.
Why would South Africa bowl Ntini at the death considering he doesn’t have that responsibly anymore in fifty over cricket? And Philander isn’t as slow as you would think, his quickest ball last night was clocked considerably faster than anything Ntini had sent down.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Last nights best bowlers bowled at 90mph plus (Powell, Edwards, Morkel, van der Wath), it was your supposedly 'bits n pieces take the pace of the ball' champions, Dwayne Bravo and Smith who were smashed into Pretoria. Also I can’t recall neither Justin Kemp or Gibbs playing too many slogs, Kemp played an aesthetically pleasing innings as did Gayle for that matter.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Gayle, of course can make good bowlers look crap in Test cricket too (CT 2004, Hoggard hit for 24 in an over at the Oval in 2004) and no one says Test cricket is crap. If you don't like 20 20 don't watch it (and this is coming from someone who was against it before it started in 2003). It's not Test cricket and one will struggle to remember it a week later but its good fun on the night - and anyway Polock (definately) and Ntini (maybe?) aren't as good as they were...
Precisely.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Last nights best bowlers bowled at 90mph plus (Powell, Edwards, Morkel, van der Wath), it was your supposedly 'bits n pieces take the pace of the ball' champions, Dwayne Bravo and Smith who were smashed into Pretoria. Also I can’t recall neither Justin Kemp or Gibbs playing too many slogs, Kemp played an aesthetically pleasing innings as did Gayle for that matter.
Lol, even as a T20IBS member, I disagree with a lot of the criticism that's been in this thread, but if you think Gayle didn't slog, I don't know which game you were watching. Gibbs and Kemp were somewhat fine - I didn't find their innings any less asthetically pleasing than what we usually see in ODIs, as that's going from the president of the Daren Ganga, Boeta Dippenaar, Jacques Kallis and Trevor Gripper fanclub. But Gayle was a poor advertisement for the format, to me anyway.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Lol, even as a T20IBS member, I disagree with a lot of the criticism that's been in this thread, but if you think Gayle didn't slog, I don't know which game you were watching. Gibbs and Kemp were somewhat fine - I didn't find their innings any less asthetically pleasing than what we usually see in ODIs, as that's going from the president of the Daren Ganga, Boeta Dippenaar, Jacques Kallis and Trevor Gripper fanclub. But Gayle was a poor advertisement for the format, to me anyway.
A good game and slogging by my definition is closing ones eye and just swiping across the line. Gayle deposited Ntini clean over his head and his legside flicks were mercurial.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
A good game and slogging by my definition is closing ones eye and just swiping across the line. Gayle deposited Ntini clean over his head and his legside flicks were mercurial.
Gayle swung across the line regularly though, and as soon as I see someone clear their front leg, it's a slog for mine. To be honest though, I'd call what Gayle does in test and ODI cricket slogging most of the time - the problem here is that doing what he does seems to be so effective in Twenty20.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Gayle swung across the line regularly though, and as soon as I see someone clear their front leg, it's a slog for mine. To be honest though, I'd call what Gayle does in test and ODI cricket slogging most of the time - the problem here is that doing what he does seems to be so effective in Twenty20.
I would have fancied Gayle to a hit a ton on this ground regardless of the format (has previous at Jo‘Burg) and the wicket was tailor-made for him. Under lights at Cape Town and then the pressure will be on him and I wouldn’t expect an innings of that magnitude but I gotta praise the man for it was stunning knock and none of his team-mates looked as good or settled.