Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What an awful concept

What an awful concept

Thanks ICC!!!

Just to fill in your coffers you have been able to devise a format where class cricketers like Pollock and Nitini will become a liability for their team and mediocre FTB like Gayle and Kemp will rule the roost..

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    Thanks ICC!!!

Just to fill in your coffers you have been able to devise a format where class cricketers like Pollock and Nitini will become a liability for their team and mediocre FTB like Gayle and Kemp will rule the roost..

Get over it, if you don't like Twenty20 then don't watch it. I beleive there is a whole society where you can moan and whinge all you like.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    Get over it, if you don't like Twenty20 then don't watch it. I beleive there is a whole society where you can moan and whinge all you like.
    Called France. I mean TTIBS
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Called France. I mean TTIBS

TBH, wasn't Ntini fairly hopeless in the real World Cup too.

I did think West Indies terrible performance in the field, did take a bit of gloss off the match. No-one enjoys watching ineptitude in Tests, ODIs or Twenty/20.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    It didn't take as much gloss off it as all the other bull****. Teams play poorly from time to time, and it wasn't that much worse than I've seen the West Indies play at other times.

But yeah, it was kind of dismal seeing Ntini bowl two overs while the mighty Philander sent down the 20th. Says a lot about the format.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad View Post
    But yeah, it was kind of dismal seeing Ntini bowl two overs while the mighty Philander sent down the 20th. Says a lot about the format.
    Philander was bowling better. Obviously he isn't the better bowler, but in terms of Twenty20 and this particular game then I think he is. It does say a lot about the fromat, that you have to have different skills and abilities as you do to be a successful ODI or Test bowler.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Philander was bowling better. Obviously he isn't the better bowler, but in terms of Twenty20 and this particular game then I think he is. It does say a lot about the fromat, that you have to have different skills and abilities as you do to be a successful ODI or Test bowler.
    Didn't you just say he was "obviously" not a better bowler? What you say is true, you do need different skills to be successful in 20/20, but the aims and desired skillset for bowlers in particular is far divorced from what is traditionally considered cricketing skill. Certain moments where that becomes particularly apparent leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Seeing a bowler of Ntini's class first bowl to a completely defensive field with a new ball and then be overlooked in favour of a medium pacer at the death was one of those moments.

That says a lot about this format, it basically encourages rubbish bits n pieces take pace of the ball and then slog like mad cricketers over the more classical ones.

Didn't you just say he was "obviously" not a better bowler? What you say is true, you do need different skills to be successful in 20/20, but the aims and desired skillset for bowlers in particular is far divorced from what is traditionally considered cricketing skill. Certain moments where that becomes particularly apparent leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Seeing a bowler of Ntini's class first bowl to a completely defensive field with a new ball and then be overlooked in favour of a medium pacer at the death was one of those moments.
    AWTA

Understandable, and I certainly see it from your point of view. In the same regard I like to see bowlers who are able to adapt to Twenty20 cricket and who can defeat the batsman, or do the job for their team.

That says a lot about this format, it basically encourages rubbish bits n pieces take pace of the ball and then slog like mad cricketers over the more classical ones.
    Twenty20 isn't Test cricket, so there will be aggressive sloggers who are successful in this format of the game. Equally, we have seen in the past that those players willing to play genuine cricket strokes and ooze aggression can also be successful. You don't have to be a slogger to succeed, you just have to be able to play your shots.

Gayle, of course can make good bowlers look crap in Test cricket too (CT 2004, Hoggard hit for 24 in an over at the Oval in 2004) and no one says Test cricket is crap. If you don't like 20 20 don't watch it (and this is coming from someone who was against it before it started in 2003). It's not Test cricket and one will struggle to remember it a week later but its good fun on the night - and anyway Polock (definately) and Ntini (maybe?) aren't as good as they were...
    Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Brian Laudrup, Gazza and Daniela Hantuchova....a fan of you all FOREVER!!!
    Can't wait to see Australia field a crap leg-spinner like Hollland or Hohns again.....
    Congratulations to Daniela Hantuchova on her 3rd career title....
    Bob Woolmer 1948-2007..farewell to the best coach England never had...
    Arise Sir Beefy....
    Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb...

But yeah, it was kind of dismal seeing Ntini bowl two overs while the mighty Philander sent down the 20th.
    Why would South Africa bowl Ntini at the death considering he doesnít have that responsibly anymore in fifty over cricket? And Philander isnít as slow as you would think, his quickest ball last night was clocked considerably faster than anything Ntini had sent down.

Last nights best bowlers bowled at 90mph plus (Powell, Edwards, Morkel, van der Wath), it was your supposedly 'bits n pieces take the pace of the ball' champions, Dwayne Bravo and Smith who were smashed into Pretoria. Also I canít recall neither Justin Kemp or Gibbs playing too many slogs, Kemp played an aesthetically pleasing innings as did Gayle for that matter.
    Last edited by TT Boy; 12-09-2007 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poker Boy View Post
    Gayle, of course can make good bowlers look crap in Test cricket too (CT 2004, Hoggard hit for 24 in an over at the Oval in 2004) and no one says Test cricket is crap. If you don't like 20 20 don't watch it (and this is coming from someone who was against it before it started in 2003). It's not Test cricket and one will struggle to remember it a week later but its good fun on the night - and anyway Polock (definately) and Ntini (maybe?) aren't as good as they were...
    Precisely.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information