• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sohail Tanvir replaces Akhtar

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Of those of you who watched the game, how good of a bowler is he?
Was just about to ask the same thing, especially odd selection considering his poor domestic record. Obviously has something that the Pakistan selectors are looking for.

Athlai

Not Terrible
He bowls off the wrong foot, giving him the weirdest action. Left handed, front right foot when he lands. The batsman did look a little troubled by it.
IMO he's no more than average with an interesting angle, but I may be wrong, 4 overs isn't much to judge him by.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just been watching a replay of last nights game, he has a very interesting action, bowling off his wrong foot and with a very quick arm. Nothing too special in the speed department, around 130-135 kph with a good angle, quite slippery off the deck though. Dhoni in particular was struggling with the angle he presented, but he doesn't seem anything more than an average bowler.

Laurrz

International Debutant
just saw the one vid on youtube

obviously its hard to compare after watching 4 overs but how does he compare with Midge

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
He's nothing special, but we haven't seen him bat yet, as he's an allrounder.He he bat's well then he can be a good replacement for Razzaq.

And Rao Anjum should have played the match, he's good in limited over cricket and certainly better than the likes of Arafat, and maybe even better than Gul.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Having Tanvir in the side could be a good move by Pakistan, for his action is so peculiar the batsman has to waste four of five balls just trying to gather what this guy is up to. And time they get over his idiosyncratic action and realise all he does is take the ball away from the right hander, he would have gone for practically nothing.

pasag

RTDAS
Having Tanvir in the side could be a good move by Pakistan, for his action is so peculiar the batsman has to waste four of five balls just trying to gather what this guy is up to. And time they get over his idiosyncratic action and realise all he does is take the ball away from the right hander, he would have gone for practically nothing.
Yeah spot on, enjoyed watching him bowl as well and his facial expressions (or lack thereof) were classic.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Of those of you who watched the game, how good of a bowler is he?
Imagine a right handed in-swing bowler with an open chested action (which is what gives the impression of bowling off the wrong foot) and then imagine a mirror image of this and you have Tanvir.

It is very rare to see left handed bowlers bowling with this action in which the bowling arm comes close to the ear and then instead of coming down acrosss the body on the other side, falls away towards the other side which makes the ball swing.

He was bowling over the wicket to righthanders, from a bit wide of the stumps and the ball was pitched very consistently outside the right handers off stump swinging further away quite a bit. It was clearly going to take a lot of getting used to and the batsmen were repeatedly surprised by this unfamiliar actions. On top of that he was pretty accurate in line and length.

He has a pretty quick arm action. Very interesting to watch. I cant remember any left handed bowler in my over forty years of watching the game who bowled with a similar action. I would love to see him bowling in the longer version of the game.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Imagine a right handed in-swing bowler with an open chested action (which is what gives the impression of bowling off the wrong foot) and then imagine a mirror image of this and you have Tanvir.

It is very rare to see left handed bowlers bowling with this action in which the bowling arm comes close to the ear and then instead of coming down acrosss the body on the other side, falls away towards the other side which makes the ball swing.

He was bowling over the wicket to righthanders, from a bit wide of the stumps and the ball was pitched very consistently outside the right handers off stump swinging further away quite a bit. It was clearly going to take a lot of getting used to and the batsmen were repeatedly surprised by this unfamiliar actions. On top of that he was pretty accurate in line and length.

He has a pretty quick arm action. Very interesting to watch. I cant remember any left handed bowler in my over forty years of watching the game who bowled with a similar action. I would love to see him bowling in the longer version of the game.
Thanks for that description. Will look forward to watching him bowl tomorrow.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes, he's very interesting to watch. If he had a ball that just held its line rather than swinging in with that angle, he'd be quite a handful. I think he'll be found out the more he plays TBH, but he's certainly interesting to watch as he tests the batsman's technique in a totally different way.

Bouncer

State Regular
he is being successful because he keeps the batsmen surprised with delivering the ball of wrong foot.

Speed:
basically 78-84 MPH, not bad can always get better.
LnL: Slightly outside Right handed's off stump, angles across batsmen, length is quite correct for new bowler, slightly short i think but batsmen have not be able to capitilze on (slightly)shortness of bowling coz right now they are trying to figure out his action too much....and are preoccupied with that....

Variety: Not much from what i saw, doonoo if he uses Slow ball or changes length very often....when he went around the wicket in game against SL...surprised batsmen a bit but i think will be lollypop bowler from around the wicket for batsmen as soon as they get over his action...and wait for him to pitch the ball up in attempt to get batsmen out as that will be the only way for him to geta wicket as by bowling around the wicket, with his action, it will bevery hard(nearly impossible) for him to get the ball to move across the batsmen.

What he needs:
needs to develop in-Cutter like Pathan and Vaas....obviously needs to learn reverse swing, but with his action, i dont see him being able to generate reverse........BUT on bright side, if he does get any amount of reverse...that will be lethal....even more than Shoaib akhter's...coz his action is just way too strange one to expect reverse from.

If he helps Pak to T20, i ll be glad....but do not expect this guy in Pak, reversing the ball, gaining pace or developing in cutters like wasim or even Irfan...thats just the reality but i will be glad if he proves me wrong