Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Second Round Group F - Australia, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh

I am certain Jayasuriya has played his last 20/20 for Sri Lanka. (but perhaps a new chapter of 20/20 in ICL or IPL may beckon....)

I am certain his Test career wil finish in Australia in November.... ODIs may be after that ie the Triangular series.....

Vaas will continue ...but perhaps only in Tests after the Triangular series in Australia ....

The trouble is SL doesn't have anyone good enough to take over from Vaas....and it may be Dilhara and Malinga for a while...until someone comes on...

One hopes SL Cricket administrators are working with Trevor Bayliss and some of the domestic coaches in SL in uncovering Talent ....

I remain hope ful that another Vaas and Malinga are only just around the corner...

I even dream that another Murali will soon turn up too....... to take over from the Master .....

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Kudus to Dravid,Tend and Ganguly for opting out of this tour and giving youngsters a chance. Mohd Yousuf & Razzaq should have learnt something from them rather than start acting like cry babies.Anyway full marks to Pak selectors for giving chance to youngsters in this tour.

I'm surprised that Lanka carried such an experianced and aged team in this tour, they should really have tried some youngsters.

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PakPowered View Post
    Kudus to Dravid,Tend and Ganguly for opting out of this tour and giving youngsters a chance. Mohd Yousuf & Razzaq should have learnt something from them rather than start acting like cry babies.Anyway full marks to Pak selectors for giving chance to youngsters in this tour.

I'm surprised that Lanka carried such an experianced and aged team in this tour, they should really have tried some youngsters.
    so should have been AUS
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

I think in Australia's case them sending their usual odi squad to this World T20 was due to the fact that the Australian cricketers hadn't played any international cricket since the World cup final and probably the Australian selectors wanted the players to feel their way back into international cricket before the odi series in India.
    Secondly with an Australian A tour to Pakistan clashing with World T20, more or less all the young players who could have been the part of the Australian T20 were drafted into the Australia A side.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by JASON View Post
    But one only has to look at the Ageing Brigade of Australia and wonder when the change is going to happen there...ie Hayden at 36 Gilchrist at 36 etc...
    I dont think age alone can be a criteria. Hypothetically, if Gilchrist can go on like thgis (performance wise) for another six years, why should we talk of replacing it with a youngster. Youngsters have to earn their place in the side and should not get a reward for being born later.

It changes when a senior players performance starts flagging and the good performances come less and less regularly. If a senior is performing just enough (consistencywise) to maintain a foothold in the side AND there is a good youngster waiting to be picked, sure pick the youngster. Not otherwise.

Thats where I feel Jayasuriya is today. Just performing enough to scotch talks of being past the use by date. We should throw away stuff not always by some prefixed notion of what is the 'use by" date but on the basis of the whiff of 'food going bad".

Australia's 'senior brigade' still smells deliciouly fresh and thats good enough to eat.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Great pear of posts you two.
    Jesus saves

member of Liverpool FC and Melbourne City

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread Information