• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Second Round Group F - Australia, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Odd to think that the loss of Ponting could be beneficial to Australia. :huh:
Hasn't really done that much with the bat in the tournament to date. Will be a big loss in the field. And although I don't really rate his captaincy, I'd rather have him leading the side than Gilchrist or Hussey.

pasag

RTDAS
The loss of Ponting is way more than the batting, it's the fielding and the captaincy loss that will be huge. We always have the headless chicken look when he's not out there.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Odd to think that the loss of Ponting could be beneficial to Australia. :huh:
the 5th bowler in Watto could be very handy... if he just bowls short of a length and mixes his pace ..like he did through the ODI WC

cant be sure tho if its more important than Pontings fielding/captaincy

Julian87

State Captain
If Watto isn't 100%, Haddin is a must imo. We need a hitter after Symonds.

NZ, Pak and RSA all have hitters down the order and they hve been the best three teams in the tournament imo. After Symonds at 4 we don't have any natural hitters at all, besides Lee who is too inconsistent. Watson is not hitter ither.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Awesome contest tomorrow then. Don't rate Gilly's captaincy, hard to get a gist of the game and move your field around and then concentrate on your `keeping when captaining IMO.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
If Watto isn't 100%, Haddin is a must imo. We need a hitter after Symonds.

NZ, Pak and RSA all have hitters down the order and they hve been the best three teams in the tournament imo. After Symonds at 4 we don't have any natural hitters at all, besides Lee who is too inconsistent. Watson is not hitter ither.
What the hell is a "hitter" then? Hodge? Hussey? I'd back them to clear the rope a lot more than Lee.

pup11

International Coach
I don't think Australia needs Haddin they just need to get their problem of the 5th bowling option fixed so Watson would be the obvious pick there, since Hodge is gonna at 3 now the hitting at the end of innings would be upto Hussey, Clarke, Lee and Johnson.
Australia are really gonna miss Ponting's presence on the field and thats not good for Australia, i hope Gilly gets a hang of things quickly because its now or never for Australia now!

readie

State Regular
Awesome contest tomorrow then. Don't rate Gilly's captaincy, hard to get a gist of the game and move your field around and then concentrate on your `keeping when captaining IMO.
just from a fellow keeper's stand point, i find it easier to captain while im keeping because im always in the game, also you get to see the field from a similar perspective as the batsman allowing you to set your field accordingly

on the note of gilly personally i think whilst his captaincy isnt as great as ponting's, id much rather him than hussey imo

Julian87

State Captain
just from a fellow keeper's stand point, i find it easier to captain while im keeping because im always in the game, also you get to see the field from a similar perspective as the batsman allowing you to set your field accordingly
I disagree.

Keepers have a job that needs 100% attention every ball and only see the bowler and batsman throughout the delivery. Yeah you can get the angles, but it is too much to concentrate on both imo. Our keeper is brilliant, but fields when he captains as it is much easier to send messages etc and keep and eye on your field.

pasag

RTDAS
its the first game 10:00 local, 08:00 GMT

it really should have been the second game will miss it since will at work :(
Yeah will miss half of it as well. Shame it has to be at the same time as my only real evening commitment of the week. Anyways, huge match obviously with both sides missing one of their best players (Ponting and Murali) so things have evened out there somewhat. The toss will be vital imo as will be Jayasuriya's early wicket for Australia. Don't think the SL bowling will be too much of an issue for Australia, hopefully they'll show Malinga abit of respect and target everyone else.

Laurrz

International Debutant
i think Fernando has been SL's best bowler surprisingly

he obviously is sometimes hard to face coz hes quick and tall.. but he also has a very very good spilt slower ball

anyways i think Hodge should bat at 3