• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Second Round Group F - Australia, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan's bowling and fielding today was fantastic, as was the middle order batting. Australia weren't too bad with the ball, but ended up short of a winning total because of Pakistan's excellent work in the late overs with the ball.

Really impressive team effort, I never expected them to be so good in 20/20.

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
Bangla 31/4 after 6 overs. Looks like this match has gone down the drain for bangla.Vaas asusual bashing bangla happily.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bangladesh rolled for 83, obviously Australia v SL the crunch game in this group with Pakistan now through and Bangladesh out.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
If Misbah keep on churning out match winning performances then the credibility of this format should seriously be questioned. Misbah is an awfull player his test record proves it, still remember Warney making a fool out of him in the test matches at Sharjah.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Lolz at some of the threads atPakpassion.net
"This is the greatest Pakistan team EVER!!!!"
"Congratulations Pakistan- We whooped Aussie butts!!"

I was seriously hoping Pakistna does badly in this tournament so that the 20/20 bug never catches Pakistani fans but alas its not to be and now we will have to endure this format till it bores us to death.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
If Misbah keep on churning out match winning performances then the credibility of this format should seriously be questioned. Misbah is an awfull player his test record proves it, still remember Warney making a fool out of him in the test matches at Sharjah.
Haha, gay.

Beleg

International Regular
I remember watching Misbah-ul-Haq first in NZ (as part of a new look Pakistani team which, playing with four debutants, including the much-maligned sami, completely surprised the kiwis at Auckland - it was a win orchestrawed by an excellent bowling performance from Saqlain [one of his last match-winning efforts] and Sami, who looked the real deal) and he didn't impress me at all. IIRC, he was drafted in becauase of his heroics in the domestic circuit, more specifically, scoring a tripple century (making him the second, or perhaps third, if my memory serves me correctly, player after Navid Latif to be selected based primary on that particular achievement).

It is possible that he has matured as a cricketer. One can certainly hope so, because with both Inzy and Yousuf out of the fray and Asim Kamal being summarily discarded, not to mention the selectors strange aversion towards blooding younger players, we need somebody to really, really step up and shoulder the weight/steal the limelight - the loss of both, particularly Inzamam [who for all his twattish captaincy, religious zealoticity and oxymoronish rhetoric always led from the front and was the cornerstone for the best pakistani batting performances during the last two decades] will come to haunt us in the near future.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Virtual Quarter Final
6pm Thursday

huge match this...

key will be Jayasuriya i think with the bat..get him out and Lanka won't post a total out of reach...
our openers as well are crucial... Gilly particularly has a liking to Lanka so hopefully he'll do well again

we have lots of problems though

the fielding looks scratchy, Ponting is looking very likely to miss out and so his replacement will be the wonderful Watson! Aussie middle order continues to fail and our 5th bowler in Roy/Pup are struggling

the openers can take apart there bowling though... Fernando can be hit around and same goes with Malinga and Maharoof..Vaas can be predictable and Jayasuriya is no Murali
but if our openers go out early i cant see our other batsmen putting a really good total on, i dunno

also the toss will be crucial.. both the games we've loss have been when we have set a total and we have won all the games chasing a total

dont have the best feeling about this because i know Ponting hasnt done much in this tournament..but we arent Australia without him..
our batting doesnt look that good.. neither does the fielding.. and the captaining as well...

Laurrz

International Debutant
I'd say Watson will come in for Clarke. Clarke might be saved if Ponting is still injured for the next game.
i dunno, for such a big game u dont wanna make too many big changes

Malik has always been a ferocious hitter of the ball against spin bowlers and Clarke in the WC bowled well to the Lankans.. i reckon he has to bowl more skiddy instead of bowling it fast but half volleys or low full tosses... a bit more short is better

Hussey may bat to #3 and Watto slotted at #7 if Ponting isnt playing

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SL without Murali will struggle to beat the Aussies even without Ponting.

Lokuarachchi should be in there to add variety to the bowling and tighten the screws on scoring like the Pak spinners did in the 2 crucial games, but SL unlikely to pick him...Therefore I can't see SL stretching Australia like Pakistan did before they clinched the Nail biter.

Laurrz

International Debutant
yea it looks like he is

'Only hours before Ponting broke down, Kountouris had given Watson the green light to resume playing after the Queenslander passed his final fitness test by sprinting and bowling four overs at 100 per cent.

Watson's inclusion would give Australia five frontline bowlers against Sri Lanka - a bonus considering part-timers Andrew Symonds and Michael Clarke went for 44 runs from 3.1 overs against Pakistan, and have both been hit for nearly 10-an-over during the tournament.'