• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Second Round Group E - South Africa, India, New Zealand, England

anoop4real

U19 12th Man
It was a very good start for India.....but wat to say as usual ruined at the end.....now the things are gonna be tight:unsure:

Days of Grace

International Captain
South Africa. Should be a close match. Crowd reaction when KP comes out to bat will be great. Will be priceless when he trudges back for a first ball duck.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Match result notwithstanding, the Indians have a lot to gain from it. They now know what's working for them, and what isn't.

The Kiwi fielding kept the Indians on a leash for some time, and that just shows how important fielding is in the limited-overs game. That said, the Indians were also very effective on the field, though not as much. This should be noted by the selectors, when they select the next ODI team. Gambhir's outfield stops (although scratchy), Yuvraj's throws to the stumps and Dhoni relaying throws on the stumps have been very effective, even if no treat to watch. With a whole lot of four-balls and six-balls hit off Indian bowlers, the singles have to be cut down to a minimum.

That's the problem- too many four-balls and six-balls. Yuvraj Singh has forgotten to bowl, and another massive over score was made. He should never have been given the ball after Dimi's attack, and the tandem attack by McMillan and Oram proved it. Agarkar, frankly, bowls no better than an extended part-timer, given his consistency and accuracy, and he was found out once more. Both of them (then Sreesanth) bowled the Kiwis back into contention in the final overs- which their Kiwi counterparts didn't.

Sehwag and Gambhir have a lot in common. Both are from Delhi. Both are attacking batsmen, opening an innings. And of course, both have had to take a lot of stick. They responded splendidly, alternating in attack. While Sehwag was more composed and assured, Gambhir was savage. They hit hard, and ran harder. Gambhir's attack on strikers Bond and Vettori (and the partnerships built) should open an option, as a support act for a prolific batsman. It's not so much the scores over 40 (or Gambhir's 51) that count, as much as the partnership.

But the lower order (more so the final few overs order) needs to be changed. Dinesh Karthik is a sitting duck in that stage, when very quick runs are needed. Harder hitters like Yusuf Pathan, Irfan Pathan and Praveen Kumar (where is he?) should come in at that time. Moreover, when wickets in hand are plenty and overs are few, the order should be flexible.

The running between wickets, for the Indians, has been very hard, and has helped a lot in taking the Indians so close to the Kiwi score. The lack of big hits (also too many four-balls and way too many six-balls) kept them short. They have two more matches in Group E, and can make changes where they can afford (or need) to.

They can have Rohit Sharma for Dinesh Karthik and Yusuf Pathan for Agarkar. Rohit Sharma is a gamble, but as a support act, he can't be too bad, and is a better OD/T20 fit than Karthik. Yusuf Pathan for Agarkar is just too obvious a choice, since Yusuf's a far better (and harder-hitting) batsman. Piyush Chawla may also be in the frame, except that his batting isn't as effective as Yusuf's, though his bowling (though six-hit-prone), however, will be a factor. Irfan's bowling needs to be used more than just two overs. The batting order should change with the match situation. Some batsmen need to play the support act to the in-form players and merely turn over or run hard most of the time. With match results often going either way, the performance of the team as a whole should be monitored, and in two matches, they've had a good show.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I know I am a bit late, but I went to sleep right after the game.

India really should've won it, after the opening partnership, players like Uthappa and Yuvraj should've chipped in more. Yuvraj needs to come to the party in the remaining two games. The turning point for me was when Dhoni was run out, really that was quite stupid of him to even think of a run on that. Had Dhoni stayed we would've won this match no doubt. It was only a matter of 10-15 runs. One more thing which really pissed me off, giving Yuvraj that one extra over than needed to be. Yes he's bowling well, but he's a part time bowler damnit, and if you bowl him in the end overs he will be taken apart. We saw it happen in England. Had that over been given to someone else, we also would've been in a better position to win this game.

But India should put this behind and look to win the next two games. Well they have to, in order to make the semis. It'll be hard, but I think they can do it (nothing new I know :p). One thing I was really pleased about India was their fielding and running between wickets, see how much it can improve with younger players and weak links like Munaf, Ganguly, Powar not out there.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
:down:.........:cry:............. :crybaby:
Don't worry bro, we can still do it :D. Have faith. I am more optimistic than usual because there are so many positives India can take from this game. In the end it was only a matter of 10-12 runs. Had something like Dhoni's run out not happened, outcome could very well have been different. Also, Sehwag looking in great form for this format of the game. His style is perfect for it. Make that quick 40-50, take the game away, and get out. So don't worry, I am sure a better performance will be put in against England and RSA.

chalky

International Debutant
2 changes for England Anderson in for Kirtley aand Snape in for Maddy (1 substandard international player for another one).

Collingwood wins the toss and decides to bowl. Seemed aa bit negative at the toss when asked about bowling his answer was that 'South Africa prefer to chase'.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wicket for Broad with his first ball. Wasn't too sure about it myself; looked like the bowler only went up after the keeper.

EDIT: actually looks fair enough on replay. Faint edge.

chalky

International Debutant
Just saw the replay looked to be a bit of daylight between bat & ball.

The pitch seems to have some uneven bounce South Africa may have to adjust any target a bit lower.

chalky

International Debutant
Why the **** do we not have a fine leg to Anderson & Flintoff thats two nudges which should have been singles costing boundries