• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Watson passed fit for World Cup

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Best News :D

Can't wait to see if he can produce performances like those he produced in the West Indies.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Love Watson. Doubt he'll be that well suited to 20/20, but it's nice that he's fit and ready to go at the start of a season for once.

Julian87

State Captain
Probably the worst all rounder Australia could have picked for twenty/20. Hopes, McDonald, Thornely and Marsh would all do a better job with bat and ball imo. Only in this format of the game though.

pup11

International Coach
Really happy for Watto, i think Watto is a highly emotional bloke and it probably would have hurt him badly (mentally) if he would have got sidelined from this tournament due to injury, remember he has set a goal for himself of playing through the next 18 months without suffering from any major injuries.

howardj

International Coach
I still maintain that he's too emotional to have sustained success in International cricket.

Would not mind to be proven wrong though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
In what regard?
Opponents feed off body language, it helps their confidence. Watson shows a lot of negative body language when things aren't going his way. It only makes the job of coming back harder; a "poker face" doesn't give the batsman the psychological advantage of knowing how you are reacting to a tough situation.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Opponents feed off body language, it helps their confidence. Watson shows a lot of negative body language when things aren't going his way. It only makes the job of coming back harder; a "poker face" doesn't give the batsman the psychological advantage of knowing how you are reacting to a tough situation.
You could also say that somebody like Glenn McGrath is very negative with his body language, especially when fielding mistakes occur from his bowling or catches are dropped. I've never really noticed Watson to be particularly negative when playing, although if it is an issue he should really sort it.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, he's certainly very emotive, but he's far from the only one. Really, there's no reason why Watson can't be successful because he's an open book but someone like Donald or Nel or McGrath can be. The only reason people focus on Watson's emotions so much is because a) he's struggled a lot at times early in his career, and b) it suits the macho image of sports culture and sport pundits to criticise a guy for showing his cards like that. That extends (or even stems from IMO, to an extent) to the ghosts and the crying when he got injured and so on as well as what he does on the field. If Watson carried on like a lunatic when things didn't go his way (like Nel, say) instead of just looking frustrated or upset, he wouldn't be criticised for his "mental weakness" like he is.

Now if it seriously effects his performance if his confidence drops (and sometimes it does), that's a totally different issue and he does need to get over it. Showing his frustration is fine if he performs, which is exactly why someone like Donald or McGrath doesn't get criticised for it when they carry on like its the end of the world when they get edged for four.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I still maintain that he's too emotional to have sustained success in International cricket.

Would not mind to be proven wrong though.
I hope that's not true, it's more interesting to watch emotional players. If I wanted to see poker faces sky shows plenty of poker as it is :p

howardj

International Coach
I hope that's not true, it's more interesting to watch emotional players.
For sure. I loved Michael Slater's career for that reason - wore his heart on his sleeve and just rode the rollercoaster. There were tears, despair, exuberance, elation, aggression...and that was off the field!

pup11

International Coach
If i am not wrong didn't Watto go to a body language school :lol: so obviously he is gonna show off whatever he learned at his school.
Anyways i am also big fan of Slats, he was very aggressive and volatile cricketer and i loved that about him obviously its fun to see emotionally charged players as they add spice to the game.