• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali out of Twenty20 World Cup

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
It doesn't alter Sri Lanka's chances or fortunes at 20/20. Murali is pretty poor when it comes to batting and someone like Lokuaraatchchi who will replace him is a damn good slogger in the limited versions of the game and a very good Bat even in FC Cricket.

I don't think Murali's bowling would make a huge difference in 20/20 . That's just my personal opinion.

Murali is needed for SL tour of Australia which is IMHO the No.1 priority ATM.And everything else is insignificant. Thats my personal opinion.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
It doesn't alter Sri Lanka's chances or fortunes at 20/20. Murali is pretty poor when it comes to batting and someone like Lokuaraatchchi who will replace him is a damn good slogger in the limited versions of the game and a very good Bat even in FC Cricket.

I don't think Murali's bowling would make a huge difference in 20/20 . That's just my personal opinion.
You don't think Murali's bowling would make much impact, despite the fact that he has one of the best Twenty20 records of any spinner in English Twenty20.

In eight games in all Twenty20 cricket, he has 17 wickets - over two a game - at an average of 9.17 and an economy rate of 5.37. They are almost unbelievably good stats. Murali would probably have been the first choice bowler for any side. Players like Lokuarachchi who can offer a bit with the bat won't have as much impact as you expect - Twenty20 games are largely won by the top 4, top 6 at a push.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
You don't think Murali's bowling would make much impact, despite the fact that he has one of the best Twenty20 records of any spinner in English Twenty20.

In eight games in all Twenty20 cricket, he has 17 wickets - over two a game - at an average of 9.17 and an economy rate of 5.37. They are almost unbelievably good stats. Murali would probably have been the first choice bowler for any side. Players like Lokuarachchi who can offer a bit with the bat won't have as much impact as you expect - Twenty20 games are largely won by the top 4, top 6 at a push.
You probably have a point there.....But as a Sri Lankan I really want SL to remain focussed on the Australian Series. I really won't be bothered if SL don't even make it past the Group Stages....:laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Murali can now concentrate on the real stuff in Australia. Blessing in disguise.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

Good job that his in the side for his bowling then... How anyone can suggest that Murali's loss is somehow Sri Lanka's gain in regard to this tournament is gone. His Sri Lanka’s best bowler and has shown (as Jumbo said) in English domestic 20/20 that his mightily affective.

His loss is an absolutely huge blow to Sri Lanka’s chances.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I'd go further and say that if you were picking a world Twenty20 side from scratch, Murali would be my first pick.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd go further and say that if you were picking a world Twenty20 side from scratch, Murali would be my first pick.
Definately be one of the first names on the teamsheet, Sri Lankas chances have definately been dented.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Definately be one of the first names on the teamsheet, Sri Lankas chances have definately been dented.
I am really not disappointed, but rather pleased that he will take the time off and come refreshed against the Aussies where SL really need him.

I am only hoping he is not going to use this to take an extended period off Cricket, under the excuse of "injury" to avoid going to Australia.

Julian87

State Captain
Murali can now concentrate on the real stuff in Australia. Blessing in disguise.
Oh he is actually going to com thi tim is he. I thought he was still protesting about all of us who call out no ball in the middle of his bowling stride.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
If Sri Lanka make it to the last 4 -wouldn't be surprised if Murali's injury makes a miraculous recovery and he gets flown in to SA .:)