• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Warm Ups

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Fixtures

September
8th
Bangladesh v Scotland- Centurion
South Africa v Sri Lanka- Potchefstroom
Pakistan v Zimbabwe- Centurion
Australia v New Zealand- Benoni
Kenya v West Indies- Benoni
9th
South Africa v Australia- Centurion
Pakistan v Sri Lanka- Centurion
New Zealand v West Indies- Benoni
Scotland v Zimbabwe- Potchefstroom
Bangladesh v Kenya- Benoni

Pakistan, Bangladesh and Kenya are also scheduled for some earlier prep in a Kenyan hosted 20/20 quadrangular tournament (featuring Uganda).

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Seems madness to have the hosts playing the favourites as a warm-up match. Why do Bangladesh only get to play Scotland and Kenya? Why are Australia also playing New Zealand? And Uganda's batsmen vs Shoaib and Asif could be interesting.

What I find so strange, with cricket and rugby at the moment, is the way before a major championships teams are warming up against teams that they are almost certain to play in the real deal. Football is no problem, there are shedloads of teams around the globe to play before a World Cup. But wouldn't Twenty20 games against South African franchise opposition be a better idea?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What I find so strange, with cricket and rugby at the moment, is the way before a major championships teams are warming up against teams that they are almost certain to play in the real deal. Football is no problem, there are shedloads of teams around the globe to play before a World Cup. But wouldn't Twenty20 games against South African franchise opposition be a better idea?
Indeed, in rugby the reason is because the major teams would totally thrash the clubs and stuff, but cricket isn't like that at all. There are often close games between counties, states or franchises and the international touring team. I for one would like to see some more warmup games against opposition like that, as opposed to other international teams.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Seems madness to have the hosts playing the favourites as a warm-up match. Why do Bangladesh only get to play Scotland and Kenya? Why are Australia also playing New Zealand? And Uganda's batsmen vs Shoaib and Asif could be interesting.

Not necessarily… The South African cricket season hasn’t started yet, which would not only mean the sides would be undercooked but most of the franchise ‘best’ players wouldn’t even be able to play, not because they are representing South Africa but they are still plying their trade in England or in the case of the youngsters partaking in Perth bowling clinics - Jacobs, McKenzie, van Jaarsveld, Goodwin, Benkenstein, Thomas, Amla, Boje, Klusener, Kruger, Henderson, Telemachus and Willoughby would all be unavailable whilst a significant number of cricketers have other commitments at this time of the year from education to work, so their participation could not be guaranteed.

I personally think it’s refreshing to see South Africa want warm up games against the gun sides and at least these fixtures would entice the fans in. Can’t see many being interested in seeing South Africa hand Scotland their asses.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm really looking forward to this now. Thoroughly bored of just watching England play, especially with the grey weather.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Quadrangular Warmup Series, Nairobi

September 1 : Match 1 - Bangladesh Vs Kenya, Match 2 – Pakistan Vs Uganda

September 2 : Match 3 – Kenya Vs Uganda, Match 4 - Bangladesh Vs Pakistan

September 4 : Match 5 – Bangladesh Vs Uganda, Match 6 – Pakistan Vs Kenya

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Quadrangular Warmup Series, Nairobi

September 1 : Match 1 - Bangladesh Vs Kenya, Match 2 – Pakistan Vs Uganda

September 2 : Match 3 – Kenya Vs Uganda, Match 4 - Bangladesh Vs Pakistan

September 4 : Match 5 – Bangladesh Vs Uganda, Match 6 – Pakistan Vs Kenya
If these have been afforded International status, I would say one of the Pakistani Batsmen will get the first ever 20/20 International Century.:laugh:

I would even suggest a possible 20/20 Double Century against Uganda.:laugh:

Perm

If these have been afforded International status, I would say one of the Pakistani Batsmen will get the first ever 20/20 International Century.:laugh:

I would even suggest a possible 20/20 Double Century against Uganda.:laugh:
Don't think that these games do have international status, but I don't fancy the Ugandan batsmans chances against Shoaib.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes the others in the Quad series do, not sure about the others, I assume they would too.

Flem274*

123/5
We know Pakistan are probably going to destroy Uganda but imagine if Uganda caught them on another evrything goes wrong day? That would be more embarrasing for them than the ODI WC. And Akhtar and Asif have to pass their drug tests and not injure themselves before they get a shot at Uganda so you never know.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Even if everything went wrong, its Uganda. I'd be suprised to see them reach the 6 runs an over mark, I'd probably be surprised to see them close to a hundred.

Is Akthar even playing?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Uganda are not as awful as all you think. On 2nd June 2007, they won the ICC World Cricket League Division Three (50 over games) by beating Argentina in the final by 91 runs. It is not much, but shows they are not totally hopeless

Athlai

Not Terrible
Oh definitely, I would rate them as one of the best teams outside of the associates, but they are still just that, outside of the teams which are outside of the best ones. A team behind Canada Netherlands Scotland and Bermuda is just not going to set the world on fire with an upset against Pakistan in 20/20 IMO. It could happen, but I really really doubt it, far less likely than what happened at the WC.

Flem274*

123/5
So if they're in division three, why are they at the top grade 20/20 WC? It's not as though they have any money to buy their way in either.:ph34r:

Do ya reckon if we went and trialled for one of these sorts of teams we'd get in?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
So if they're in division three, why are they at the top grade 20/20 WC? It's not as though they have any money to buy their way in either.:ph34r:

Do ya reckon if we went and trialled for one of these sorts of teams we'd get in?
Lol, it is a baffling choice of team.

Actually they won promotion, so they are now in Division Two;)

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Probably, a trouncing from the three others teams is on the cards. Also, do not be fooled that 90mph will absolutely scare these people, they may be minnows, but they are not babies.

Perm

Probably, a trouncing from the three others teams is on the cards. Also, do not be fooled that 90mph will absolutely scare these people, they may be minnows, but they are not babies.
Bollocks. They will get blown away by the pace, if it's accurate enough.