• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

GROUP D - India, Pakistan, Scotland

R_D

International Debutant
:)
The tension on Sehwag's face as he came to bowl for the shootout was palpable , no ???
hehe yeah... Sehwag was laughing and all.
I was like get serious man....
Both teams were quite relaxed during the bowl out.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I do feel a bit bad for Pakistan though man, like how they never have won a WC game against us and all!!!

:p:p
Which is amazing but most times when they had a clearly superior side we never faced them at the world cup.

R_D

International Debutant
I do feel a bit bad for Pakistan though man, like how they never have won a WC game against us and all.

:p:p
hahaha you just saying that...... lol you know you don't feel bad.
I was certainly happy they kept that record in tact ;)

did you edit that.. i swear i didn't see the not the first time.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Which is amazing but most times when they had a clearly superior side we never faced them at the world cup.
C'mon let's just focus on rubbing it in while we can ;) .

did you edit that.. i swear i didn't see the not the first time.
Yeah I edited, hehe.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also so that they could decide who should be called D1 and who D2 for this group since that determines who will play who in the next round.
Na the D1 and D2 refer to the pre-tournament seeding, it didn't matter where India or Pakistan finished they would still play at the same sequences of games in the next group stage as long as they qualified. It's so the group stages can have advance sales from fans, same thing happened in the World Cup in West Indies except of course they both got knocked out and their slots were taken by non-seeded countries and lots of Pakistan and India fans then had tickets to see Ireland and Bangladesh instead.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Thats right. My wife was sleeping but I would keep waking her up with a loud YESS!! every now and then as Harbhajan kept Afridi from breaking free. The with three overs left (and some 40 or so runs to go), I told her we are going to keep our undefeated record at World Cup intact.

I shook her up to repeat this when she did not respond first time :)

Then came Harbhajans ;ast two balls and Agarkars next six and I said "Oh Hell !":laugh:

I got up from the bed and moved to the sofa for good luck but Misbah kept hitting those runs and then suddenly when all was lost he missed one ball and then the run out :)

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Na the D1 and D2 refer to the pre-tournament seeding, it didn't matter where India or Pakistan finished they would still play at the same sequences of games in the next group stage as long as they qualified. It's so the group stages can have advance sales from fans, same thing happened in the World Cup in West Indies except of course they both got knocked out and their slots were taken by non-seeded countries and lots of Pakistan and India fans then had tickets to see Ireland and Bangladesh instead.
So India will be playing against C1 on Sunday, am I correct? :unsure:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Thats right. My wife was sleeping but I would keep waking her up with a loud YESS!! every now and then as Harbhajan kept Afridi from breaking free. The with three overs left (and some 40 or so runs to go), I told her we are going to keep our undefeated record at World Cup intact.

I shook her up to repeat this when she did not respond first time :)

Then came Harbhajans ;ast two balls and Agarkars next six and I said "Oh Hell !":laugh:

I got up from the bed and moved to the sofa for good luck but Misbah kept hitting those runs and then suddenly when all was lost he missed one ball and then the run out :)
LOL I was going absolutely nuts as well as I said already. Tbh since I came home I didn't take off my sweater eventhough it was boiling hot in my house, because for some odd reason I kept thinking it was goodluck and I had to keep it on if we were to win. Also, I kept biting my nails which I always do for goodluck. And there are a lot of other small things I kept in check with, to make sure we had all the luck possible.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
This wasn't our best against Pakistan at any world cup though. That has to be the match in which Sachin blasted that 98 in South Africa.

A friend of mine had organised a screening at a HUGE auditorium in a five star hotel in Baroda and invite about 200 friends to see the game and eat and drink. We had flown from Bombay , me and my wife, and it was fabulous.

Exactly the same thing happened in 1983, when a friend of mine in Bombay booked a suite at the Taj and we flew to Bombay (this time from Delhi) and watched the 1983 finals Live though not on a screen :)

What fabulous celeberations we had amidst lots of betting.

R_D

International Debutant
What did everyone think of Pathan's bowling....i thought he bowled pretty well and he bowls with lil bit more of pace. Hopefully his development continues and his batting was handy as well.

R_D

International Debutant
Yeah that 98 was very good win, probaly the best win by india in world cup over pakistan. But can't forget the 96 World cup quarter final match either....... one name V Parsad.
A Jadeja's and Kumble's smacking of Waqar Younis.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
What did everyone think of Pathan's bowling....i thought he bowled pretty well and he bowls with lil bit more of pace. Hopefully his development continues and his batting was handy as well.
He bowled pretty well. I was really worrried because he would have been very fragile and vulnerable mentally. I thought he handled the pressure beautifully.

His batting was as good as I knew it would be. In fact I was upset with him for getting out. He is a much better player than he is givn crdit for. You justwatch he is going to come back make a huge difference to India's ODI side. It will be complete only when he returns. And that isnt that far.

I am worried that we have used the wrong format to rehabilitate him. Hope he has good luck since in this format everyone needs lots of it.

Sehwag's situation is worse. He was fine in test matches but not doing well in odi's but we dropped him from tests too. Now we bring him back in what is , in a way, worse than odi's, for for him. He must be allowed to make a comeback first in tests.

In odi's he puts too much pressure on himself by truing to play even more aggressively than his normal style (in tests). In odi's, I am afraid he will try to do still more and suffer.

umop 3p!sdn

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm not a fan of this whole bowl out fan, I think it should involve more cricketing skill, maybe an extra 3 overs for each team at the end...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
This wasn't our best against Pakistan at any world cup though. That has to be the match in which Sachin blasted that 98 in South Africa.

A friend of mine had organised a screening at a HUGE auditorium in a five star hotel in Baroda and invite about 200 friends to see the game and eat and drink. We had flown from Bombay , me and my wife, and it was fabulous.

Exactly the same thing happened in 1983, when a friend of mine in Bombay booked a suite at the Taj and we flew to Bombay (this time from Delhi) and watched the 1983 finals Live though not on a screen :)

What fabulous celeberations we had amidst lots of betting.
I think the best India-Pak world cup match was in 1996 world cup.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not a fan of this whole bowl out fan, I think it should involve more cricketing skill, ..
I agree.

I think if they want something like this, the bowler should be bowling to batsmen of the other side (also nominated) and runs scored in the five deliveries should decide the winner rather than a plain hitting the unprotected stumps.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Time to C&P my post from PC.

I have said since the first use of bowl-outs in cricket that these things should have no place in this sport, because I don't think they're a fair way to decide a match therefore a tie should be just that, a tie. Regardless of that, Pakistan knew going in to the match or when the last two balls were left that they would be involved in a bowl-out in case of a tie, so its a fair win to India.

Congratulations you [expletives]. It was the best match I could hope for.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, at 78-80mph, the pace is fine. The accuracy and late swing at times was good too, he seemed to be getting some bounce too:-O

I hope the pace can possibly progress to maybe 80-85mph since the pace he bowled today is a tad slow for ODI or Test cricket.

haroon510

International 12th Man
so how come india end up geting the win... it isn't supposed to be tie?? india is with three points they havn't even win a match pakistan with on win and a tie have 2 points only
not fair...

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
so how come india end up geting the win... it isn't supposed to be tie?? india is with three points they havn't even win a match pakistan with on win and a tie have 2 points only
not fair...
India won via bowl out, perfectly fair.

Who cares anyway, both are through and the result does not affect the future rounds.

R_D

International Debutant
not fair...
hehehe.... somwhow i'm not surprised by your post.
In 20/20 cricket if its a tie than they have a bowl out to decide the winner.

Kind of like penalty shoot out in Football and India won that so India won the match.