• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

GROUP C - New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Kenya

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Group C - NZ, Sri Lanka, Kenya

Schedule -

Wed 12 September 2nd Match, Group C - Kenya v New Zealand
Kingsmead, Durban

Fri 14 September 8th Match, Group C - Kenya v Sri Lanka
New Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg

Sat 15 September 11th Match, Group C - New Zealand v Sri Lanka
New Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg

Can Kenya get past NZ and SL ...a possibility given they are neighbours to SA and will have greater local support and conditions may be more familiar .

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
New Zealand 20/20 outfit is pretty strong and have a greater experience at 20/20.

I would say they will top this group. SL must beat Kenya to stay on for the next part of the tournament...Some how my intuition tells me Kenya will do well, given they will have great local support (from being neighbours) and conditions will be not too unfamiliar to them.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sri Lanka should dominate this pool, the players with the 'x' factor should feature strongly (Malinga, Jayasuriya, Muralitharan etc) and will carry the team IMO.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ should win the pool and good chance to take out the title. Big-hitters galore.
I agree with this because NZ has greater 20/20 experience and lot of 6 hitters and allrounders...

I hope SL will get past Kenya. Local conditions and support will favour Kenya.

Scaly piscine

NZ should win the pool and good chance to take out the title. Big-hitters galore.
Fleming should do well (your best hope is that he scores a 50/100), McCullum and Styris possibly. It's still not a good limited overs batting lineup because it doesn't have much quality, just because it's Twenty20 doesn't mean that's not important.

Fiery

Banned
Fleming should do well (your best hope is that he scores a 50/100), McCullum and Styris possibly. It's still not a good limited overs batting lineup because it doesn't have much quality, just because it's Twenty20 doesn't mean that's not important.
Doubt Fleming will play in it tbh. Disagree with your comment re quality but we all know your opinions on NZ players

Athlai

Not Terrible
NZ should be favourites going into this, especially if Murali doesn't play, a deep batting line up and more experience at the form of the game. Wouldn't be surprised if my second favourite team (SL) take it out though, either way I'll be pleased. Kenya has no real hope, a couple players may be able to hit but thats about it for them.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ should be favourites going into this, especially if Murali doesn't play, a deep batting line up and more experience at the form of the game. Wouldn't be surprised if my second favourite team (SL) take it out though, either way I'll be pleased. Kenya has no real hope, a couple players may be able to hit but thats about it for them.
NZ clear favourites, but its a bit harsh to say Kenya has no hope, Mate. They are neighbours to SA, they will have lots of support from locals and their fans, they are equal second favourites with SL to go to next stage after NZ, IMHO.

To me this 20/20 is not all that important. SL selectors should send possibly some of the up and comers rather.

I have changed my mind on SL sending the best Team.(since the Groups have been announced) I would rather they send some young guys.

I would select

Warnapura
Tharanga
Atapattu
Kapugedera
Jayawardene
Ian Daniel
Prasanna Jayawardene (keeper)
Kulasekera
Vaas
Amerasinghe
Sujeewa De Silva
Bandara
Lokuaaratchchi

Perm

Crowd support isn't going to win you cricket matches, nor is neighbouring the country that the tournament is being held in.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
NZ clear favourites, but its a bit harsh to say Kenya has no hope, Mate. They are neighbours to SA, they will have lots of support from locals and their fans, they are equal second favourites with SL to go to next stage after NZ, IMHO.

To me this 20/20 is not all that important. SL selectors should send possibly some of the up and comers rather.

I have changed my mind on SL sending the best Team.(since the Groups have been announced) I would rather they send some young guys.

I would select

Warnapura
Tharanga
Atapattu
Kapugedera
Jayawardene
Ian Daniel
Prasanna Jayawardene (keeper)
Kulasekera
Vaas
Amerasinghe
Sujeewa De Silva
Bandara
Lokuaaratchchi
Dire

Also Daniel a long way off the National team and too slow for One Dayers let alone Twenty20. MDK Perera or Utawetta are your best bets as potential opening batting options.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Dire

Also Daniel a long way off the National team and too slow for One Dayers let alone Twenty20. MDK Perera or Utawetta are your best bets as potential opening batting options.
The only reason for that selection (Prasanna) , I really think its best SL send an up and comers Team rather than send Sanga and co. I really think its not all that important to send our best Team for this 20/20 thing. Besides Sanga is contracted to Warwickshire .

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The only reason for that selection (Prasanna) , I really think its best SL send an up and comers Team rather than send Sanga and co. I really think its not all that important to send our best Team for this 20/20 thing. Besides Sanga is contracted to Warwickshire .
Kasual Silva?

Julian87

State Captain
McMillan, Oram, McCullum, Styris, Vincent and Fleming really should mean that NZ win this tournament imo. Not to mention how good Vettori's bowling will be.

Scaly piscine

Doubt Fleming will play in it tbh. Disagree with your comment re quality but we all know your opinions on NZ players
If he doesn't you really are screwed. Where is the quality in NZ's lineup then? Styris will be back to being only reasonable effective (particularly with little time to get in) now he's away from rubbishy slow wickets, there's a few glorified sloggers in there like McMillan and the odd player that would be painfully average even at FC level (Marshal).

Athlai

Not Terrible
If he doesn't you really are screwed. Where is the quality in NZ's lineup then? Styris will be back to being only reasonable effective (particularly with little time to get in) now he's away from rubbishy slow wickets, there's a few glorified sloggers in there like McMillan and the odd player that would be painfully average even at FC level (Marshal).
Lucky its not a FC match then eh? NZ have a pretty good record at 20/20 matches to date, and a recent history against Australia of our lower order scoring fast runs and chasing ridiculous totals. Question the consistensy don't question the fact its even there. These are professional players and they deserve your respect if you have any love of the game.

Critique all you like, yet as a wise man one said.

"Don't be a dick."

Athlai

Not Terrible
Oh I'm quite fond of the Kenyan team, but New Zealand and Sri Lanka are just too good for them, unless one of them completely falls apart in this form of the game, I don't think the Kenyan lineup has the aggression to top that of the very professional Sri Lankan team and the hard hitting Kiwis. If SL do send a younger squad you never know, but I hope and expect teams to send their best line ups, at least for this first 20/20 WC.

Fiery

Banned
Depends on your definition of "quality" in terms of 20/20 cricket really doesn't it? I'll keep your post in mind when the tournament comes around anyway ;)

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
My 20/20 squad

McCullum
Vincent
Fleming
Taylor
Styris
McMillan
Oram
Vettori
Bond