• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

GROUP C - New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Kenya

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Vincent's worth a mention too, in the past year he's averaged 39.07, I'm expecting a big knock from him soon.
Scoring the majority of his runs either against minnows or on roads.

Our batting really only holds Vincent, Fulton, Taylor (maybe...), and Styris.
Our batting has Styris, and Fulton at a pinch. Taylor is still quite young, although very talented while Vincent is pretty much a flat track bully.

Styris's lbw decision was the turning point in last nights match for me.
Agree with this, he played a pretty silly shot and then the tide start to turn.

Athlai

Not Terrible
:thumbup1: :goof: :clapping: :jump: :clap: :scooter: :punk: :hug: :rockon:

I thought to myself, how could I display my pleasure that Patel may be included in the side. I came up with the ever useful Smilies. :cool:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
NZ prove that Scaly was right they were just a bunch a medicores :laugh:

Hmm reckon it is time to give Hasantha a game, Weijkoon has been pretty useless. Surprised that Dilhara has been decent in this form. Also the tactics Jayawardene has used with bowling has been right on the money. Would have bowled Dilshan when Weijkoon was getting smashed.
From what I've seen and read of Weijkoon, this is probably the worst format to play him, so I have no idea why he's in this team yet not in the test or ODI setups. I think he'd be worth a go batting #7 in the ODI team if Mubarak continues to be Mubarak and Maharoof continues to disappoint with the bat but his bowling is pretty much cannon fodder in this stuff, unless he got a pitch like the one served up for Australia v Zimbabwe.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Scoring the majority of his runs either against minnows or on roads.
A flat track bully he may be but I disagree with the statement of him only making his runs against minnows, scoring against Australia and England is where Vincent has impressed me.
We have no better options either, if the pitch does something he's not the best (but getting better IMO) if it doesn't then we're in the runs.

I hope to see a bit of decimation against India on his part, or McCullum actually doing more than just getting a start.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A flat track bully he may be but I disagree with the statement of him only making his runs against minnows, scoring against Australia and England is where Vincent has impressed me.
Well his World Cup stats were distorted greatly by his century against Canada, in his other two innings he didn't score a single run. If you look back at the scores he racked up since his comeback into the Black Caps, you'll see that all the games have been very high-scoring, with the exception of the 1st Chappell-Hadlee.

We have no better options either, if the pitch does something he's not the best (but getting better IMO) if it doesn't then we're in the runs.
I'm not saying he shouldn't be in the team, because he's earnt it through putting scores on the board, but it just makes our decision to exclude Stephen Fleming, one of our best ever ODI batsman, even more baffling.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm not saying he shouldn't be in the team, because he's earnt it through putting scores on the board, but it just makes our decision to exclude Stephen Fleming, one of our best ever ODI batsman, even more baffling.
Agreed really, but don't you feel Vincent has improved as a player in comparison to what he was? (High scoring matches or no, runs were still scored on his part)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Vincent is very much a flat-track bully in ODI cricket - well, a fast-bouncy-true-track bully anyway. However, that actually isn't that bad a thing for an opening batsman in ODI cricket as a lot of the wickets are flat anyway. A flat track bully can win you games on flat tracks - and an increasing percentage of total games are on flat tracks. Vincent doesn't have such an issue with the moving ball that he does with slow or low pitches though, I've found, so he's not the traditional flat track bully as such.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
From what I've seen and read of Weijkoon, this is probably the worst format to play him, so I have no idea why he's in this team yet not in the test or ODI setups. I think he'd be worth a go batting #7 in the ODI team if Mubarak continues to be Mubarak and Maharoof continues to disappoint with the bat but his bowling is pretty much cannon fodder in this stuff, unless he got a pitch like the one served up for Australia v Zimbabwe.
The thing with Weijkoon his not really a good enough batsmen at International level to bat at 7, even in Twenty20. He would be as less effective then Mubarak with the bat in ODIs, his got some major techincal issues and never really get found out in domestic cricket. He occassionally gets away with it in List A One Day matches for Sri Lanka A. But the fact his hardly ever scored a run in First Class matches (and is not a first choice player in that format) shows his no where near Test standard to bat at 7.

His bowling is too slow and predictable at Test level, he not really a dominate wicket taker at domestic level compared to other seamers. His made his name as a change bowler bowler that can play as front line batsmen in domestic cricket.

Really Twenty20 is the best format to get most out of his bits and pieces nature at International level. He will get found out a lot more in any other format. Atleast Hasantha is closer to being good enough to play as front line bowler.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ prove that Scaly was right they were just a bunch a medicores :laugh:
Hmm reckon it is time to give Hasantha a game, Weijkoon has been pretty useless. Surprised that Dilhara has been decent in this form. Also the tactics Jayawardene has used with bowling has been right on the money. Would have bowled Dilshan when Weijkoon was getting smashed.
I disagree with that. Styris had an unfortunate decision, and had he got going, they would've got into 5th gear and reached 200 , IMHO. And then Bond and Martin and even Gillespie would have looked different bowlers defending a strong score.

WRT SL bowling, I would play Maharoof in place of Wijekoon and consider Lokuarachchi in place of Mubarak very strongly in crucial matches coming up.

As far as NZ selections, I think Bracewell's decision to keep a guy like Jeetan Patel sitting it out in matches like these where he could have made a difference is inexplicable, IMO.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
I disagree with that. Styris had an unfortunate decision, and had he got going, they would've got into 5th gear and reached 200 , IMHO. And then Bond and Martin and even Gillespie would have looked different bowlers defending a strong score.

WRT SL bowling, I would play Maharoof in place of Wijekoon and consider Lokuarachchi in place of Mubarak very strongly in crucial matches coming up.

As far as NZ selections, I think Bracewell's decision to keep a guy like Jeetan Patel sitting it out in matches like these where he could have made a difference is inexplicable, IMO.
Would have, should have ifs and buts NZ has lost its last 5 games in world tournuments against Sri Lanka, They are just Mediocre, Shane Bond never troubles Sri Lankans on good pitches. So yes i am going to rave on about this till the next Nz Srilanka meeting :laugh: