• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

GROUP A -South Africa, West Indies, Bangladesh

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good question TBH, probably just a result of him batting for so long.

Woodster

International Captain
Gayle did ok, Gibbs innings was not bad, Kemp played a couple of half decent shots down the ground.....BUT WHAT ABOUT THOSE DANCERS!!! THEY WERE FANTASTIC!!!THAT'S WHAT THE TWENTY20'S ALL ABOUT!!! Roll on the next game!

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Have to feel a bit sorry for Gayle after an innings like that.
Indeed but you can’t feel sorry for the West Indian team as a collective for apart from Gayle they were comically inept.

Great game though, pure excitement from start to finish. Gayle played a quite awesome and unforgettable innings whilst Captain Smith batted on adrenaline and deserves huge credit for giving South Africa once again a solid start and the belief to win, in spite of his injury. And perversely aside from Gayle they didn’t bowl that badly, Morne and Johan bowled well and they were terrific in the last five overs. Only downer would be the possible injuries to Smith and Gibbs for if they lose them its goodnight.

Roll on tomorrow!

Chubby Rain

School Boy/Girl Captain
Gayle did ok, Gibbs innings was not bad, Kemp played a couple of half decent shots down the ground.....BUT WHAT ABOUT THOSE DANCERS!!! THEY WERE FANTASTIC!!!THAT'S WHAT THE TWENTY20'S ALL ABOUT!!! Roll on the next game!
Call it a hunch, but something tells me you're probably following the game for the wrong reason. :ph34r:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Good question TBH, probably just a result of him batting for so long.
Gayle has become more of a reluctant bowler of late, hardly bowled himself in England but the word according to most is that the spinners will fly big style on the Highveldt. Also the wickets are awesome and unlike domestic 20/20 cricket they are new and voided of any wear or tear, which the spinner could exploit.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes I have to agree, thought the entertainment was top drawer. At times when you were searching for superlatives for South Africa's chase, you were thinking of the equivalent derogatory terms for West Indies shambolic bowling and fielding.

WI discpline went awol in the second half of the game, and probably only Fidel Edwards comes out of that second half performance with any credit. Gayle not bowling was mystery, unless he has also picked up a little niggle. He couldn't have been tired he only batted for around 15 overs! You cannot drop Gibbs (twice) and Kemp and not expect to be punished, and they duly were.

Credit to SA for a great run chase, and to do it with over 2 overs left, quite remarkable.

Perm

Gayle has become more of a reluctant bowler of late, hardly bowled himself in England but the word according to most is that the spinners will fly big style on the Highveldt. Also the wickets are awesome and unlike domestic 20/20 cricket they are new and voided of any wear or tear, which the spinner could exploit.
Didn't he have some sort of injury in England that meant he couldn't bowl properly? I remember reading about it, and then watching a game where he did bring himself on for an over and his style was very relaxed, far more than usual. Seemed as though he wouldn't be able to put any revolutions on the ball. Given the sucess that spinners have had in Twenty20, I would've thought that Gayle might have rolled the arm over, but as you say, the ground probably had a big part to play in that decision.

Last edited:

Perm

Thats probably a fair comment!:laugh:
The cricket did entertain me sufficiently to be honest. BUT THOSE DANCERS............
:laugh:

pup11

International Coach
Impressive victory by the Proteas but IMO West Indians shouldn't have lost this game, but as we all are aware of South Africa's record while chasing on this ground so i guess can't really blame West Indies for losing this game.
Superb knock by Gibbs yesterday he looked like he was in the same zone that he was in when he scored that 175 in the 438 game against Australia.
In the end poor bowling and unimaginative captaincy from Sarwan cost West Indies the game more than anything else.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Imagine going to watch a game of cricket and having those ****ing dancers in front of you for the whole game. 20/20, bringing in the real fans.

Anyway, good chase from SA, dismal defending. Big disappointment for me personally, I guess I had high hopes, like EWS said on the last page.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Fell asleep in the middle tbh. Don't know what was worse, the dancers or Tony Cozier. I was pretty excited for it as well, but it was all just abit meh in the end.