• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia name 30-man WC squad

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, WTF!!!!. Cameron White one of the most destructive Twenty20 players ain't even included. That's...well unbeliavable to be perfectly honest. The guy averages just about 50 with two hundreds and a strike rate of 166. Have the Aussie selectors never seen him play this version of the game.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
No really young batsmen there, really.

EDIT: Talking about the Australia "A" side.
Yeah, surprised at D Hussey. Not that he's not good enough, just what would he gain from an A-tour? Would have thought sending someone like Cosgrove would be more worthwhile.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, WTF!!!!. Cameron White one of the most destructive Twenty20 players ain't even included. That's...well unbeliavable to be perfectly honest. The guy averages just about 50 with two hundreds and a strike rate of 166. Have the Aussie selectors never seen him play this version of the game.
Yeah, he could have gone instead of Haddin really. Not anyone else he could replace though.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, surprised at D Hussey. Not that he's not good enough, just what would he gain from an A-tour? Would have thought sending someone like Cosgrove would be more worthwhile.
To me it looks like a squad of next-in-line rather than a squad of youth. Given the turnaround that is about to happen and that will happen in the future, the selectors need to know who's ready for the next step. Have a feeling Jaques and Rogers will be in a face-off for the test side if they don't go with Hussey.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Well...Ronchi's a wicket kepper/batsmen and he's 26. Yeah...it is a pretty old squad for an A team tour tbh. I would have thought guys like Shaun Marsh and Travis Birt would possibly have been included.

The X1 should be...

Phil Jaques
Chris Rogers
Adam Voges
David Hussey
Cameron White
Luke Ronchi
James Hopes
Ashley Noffke
Dan Cullen/Andrew McDonald
Ben Hilfenhaus
Stuart MacGill

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
To me it looks like a squad of next-in-line rather than a squad of youth. Given the turnaround that is about to happen and that will happen in the future, the selectors need to know who's ready for the next step. Have a feeling Jaques and Rogers will be in a face-off for the test side if they don't go with Hussey.
Apart from the openers, there isn't a 'next in line' need for batsmen though, they've all got a few years in them.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Potentially, if Hussey does move up the order (either because he'd like to, or because the new combination isn't working) then you're left with:
  • Clarke - settled in the side, but wouldn't call him "entrenched"
  • Hodge - still unproven
  • Watson - unproven
  • Symonds - shown that he will be a rare beast in Test cricket
To cover two or three spots. I think it's also important to reward players, especially those whom haven't ever played for Australia before, for their efforts if they are doing well with an "A" tour spot. Even more-so in the current climate.

And my first remark was more about this: how many young batsmen are actually knocking the door down for a berth? Very few. It's disappointing that the young batsmen aren't doing that year in, year out like we used to see Lehmann, Mark Waugh, etc. doing in their 20s.

Perm

I'm terribly surprised that Cam White didn't make the Twenty20 squad, I thought he'd be one of the first players on the team sheet.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm terribly surprised that Cam White didn't make the Twenty20 squad, I thought he'd be one of the first players on the team sheet.
Not sure who you'd take out though. Thing is, it has to be a batsman really, so who goes? Hussey? Clarke?

Unless, as I said before, they didn't take Haddin.

Fiery

Banned
There must be a reason White wasn't picked. Surely it's not through lack of ability or form. Do any of you Aussie's know whether he's done anything naughty?

Perm

Not sure who you'd take out though. Thing is, it has to be a batsman really, so who goes? Hussey? Clarke?

Unless, as I said before, they didn't take Haddin.
I'd probably let Clarke sit on the sidelines actually, not because he's a poor player, just because White is better in that version of the game. Then again, they could've left Haddin at home and let Hussey play as the backup keeper because I tihnk he's taken the gloves before in domestic cricket.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
There must be a reason White wasn't picked. Surely it's not through lack of ability or form. Do any of you Aussie's know whether he's done anything naughty?
He's from Victoria. :p

Seriously, Haddin's not much worse a Twenty20 World Cup batsman than White anyway, and I guess they'd like the insurance. They probably wouldn't bowl White in Twenty20 anyways, although he is generally good in the field.

And I'm pretty sure that White hasn't done anything "naughty", Fiery. ;)

Fiery

Banned
He's from Victoria. :p

Seriously, Haddin's not much worse a Twenty20 World Cup batsman than White anyway, and I guess they'd like the insurance. They probably wouldn't bowl White in Twenty20 anyways, although he is generally good in the field.

And I'm pretty sure that White hasn't done anything "naughty", Fiery. ;)
Strange decision then

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd take out anyone to get Cameron White in a Twenty20 team tbh.
You really think he's that good? I wouldn't rate him over the players in there. He just heaves the ball at the flattest and best batting track on the county circuit.

And 190 runs at 27.14 with a sr of 137 in 8 matches this summer isn't exactly brilliant.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
You really think he's that good? I wouldn't rate him over the players in there. He just heaves the ball at the flattest and best batting track on the county circuit.

And 190 runs at 27.14 with a sr of 137 in 8 matches this summer isn't exactly brilliant.
Mate, in the English domestic Twenty20 he is unbeliavable. He strikes the ball so cleanly and so hard and has a brilliant record. It baffles me tbh as to why he ain't in.