• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC sack World Cup Final Trio

PY

International Coach
ICC slaps suspension on World Cup Final officials

http://www.cricketweb.net/article.php?CategoryIDAuto=1&NewsIDAuto=4080

Don't know if there's a thread on this or whether it should be put in the Twenty20 WC forum but mods can move it if it is.

Bit of the blue for me to read this, it seems that the ICC decided that now was the time to grow a backbone and with one sweep they've suspended their 4 best umpires IMO. :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Yeah, seems a bit random to me, if they were going to suspend them why have they waited until now? And, as you said, they were their best umpires.

Fiery

Banned
Unnecessary finger pointing iyam. I think everyone (apart from the ICC) had forgiven them anyway

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
While I agree that the punishment coming this late seems odd, but regardless, some action needed to be taken. You had 5 highly respected officials officiating the final of Cricket's biggest event. You would expect that between them they would know the proper rules. I realize everyone is capable of making mistakes and that's why this is just a 2 week punishment. They'll be back, hopefully better than ever!

PY

International Coach
The thing that probably annoyed me the most was this bit:

"But the reality is that the playing control team made a serious and fundamental error that caused the final of our flagship event to end in disarray and confusion."

The flagship event was fouled up by your money-grabbing, fixture-cramming antics thank you very much Mr Speed. :dry:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, WTF?

Agree with pretty much everything posted in this thread - really odd to wait this long, smacks of making-a-scapegoat, fair enough it was poor and some reprimand was needed, but they've just knocked-out their best Umpires.

Ah well... if it means the Twenty20 WC is more **** this way it's all good. :D

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very harsh, but I suppose they had to action because of how farcical the final turned out to be.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Haha when do we get the World Cup sent to us...

Interesting personally i think having the World Cup Final at a ground with no lights was just stupid. They spent all that money and on building the ground up why wouldn't you spend a bit extra on lights. Yeah the officials made some poor calls but they really didn't have an environment or situation to make better once considering the pressure they where on. Just looks like scapegoat material here.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I agree with the call, in the biggest cricket event on the calendar, you hope that if the officials stuff up like they did they would be brought to books.. However I hope they get unsuspended immediately after they have done their time... It's not like Pro20 matters a great deal anyway