• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka Thread

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Lets do one better then the real World Cup. :)

Also if Sangakkara is out FFS pick JK Silva, if i ever see another squad with Prassana Jayawardene, im going to support the other team. Im so over that ******, the guy doesn't know which end of the bat to hold. :@

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I expect Kapugedara to be tried again at No 3 and get knocked over cheaply by the swing new ball TBH.
I've only seen a little bit of him and he has generally been batting down the order a bit more, apparently he has potential as a big hitter though.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I've only seen a little bit of him and he has generally been batting down the order a bit more, apparently he has potential as a big hitter though.
I presume the bit you saw was him in the VB series when he batted at 6/7. Since then they have tired him at No 3 and opener and its failed bad. In Tests they have batted him at 5. Really at this stage in his career he shouldn't be batting higher the 6. It seems they all trying everything possible to stuff up a very promising career.

Perm

I presume the bit you saw was him in the VB series when he batted at 6/7. Since then they have tired him at No 3 and opener and its failed bad. In Tests they have batted him at 5. Really at this stage in his career he shouldn't be batting higher the 6. It seems they all trying everything possible to stuff up a very promising career.
Where does he bat in domestic cricket? I was under the impression that he was able to open the batting.

Perm

At Under 19 level yeah he opened the batting, but at domestic level he bats at 5.
I see, so he is obviously destined for the top order as he matures. Personally I would let him open in this Twenty20 World Cup to see how he goes, he has done it in the past and has great potential as a pinch hitter at the top or a decent closer in the lower order in ODI cricket. Allowing him to open will help improve the first skill.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I see, so he is obviously destined for the top order as he matures. Personally I would let him open in this Twenty20 World Cup to see how he goes, he has done it in the past and has great potential as a pinch hitter at the top or a decent closer in the lower order in ODI cricket. Allowing him to open will help improve the first skill.
The thing is their is greater need for lower hitter in the Sri Lankan line up rather then a top order batsmen. The theory of improving faster batting at the top of order was the theory they used against Bangladesh i.e they got crap fast bowler and he dominate, allowing him to mature faster. It backfired and Mortaza and co owned him with the swing ball. Colombo CC (his domestic side) side have had issue in the past at the top of the order but they kept him in the middle as he prefers to bat there. The only reason why he opened the batting at Under 19 level, was cus there was no one else to open who was good enough. As shown in the last Under 19 World Cup.

With Vandort and Muburak expected to bat in the middle order with Kapugedara at Colombo next season. There are limited options now at the top, with Ian Daniel and Mahela Udawatte still not ready. Only Malinda Warnapura and Tharanga Paranavitana look like realistic options to replace Jayasuriya. Warnapura is more of No 3 and Paranavitana has technique issues like Vandort, Muburak, Kapugedara and Udawatte. So unfortunely this might not be the last time we see him tried again at the top of order.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Murali has already expressed his unavailability for 20/20 World Cup.

My SL squad -

Sanath
Tharanga
Warnapura
Sangakkara
Mahela
Chamara Silva
Dilshan
Lokuaarachchi
Maharoof
Vaas
Malinga

Kapugedera
Fernando
Zoysa
Amerasinghe

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon Bandara should atleast be in the squad, even though we are playing in South Africa.
No point having too many spinners in 20/20 , more so given its in South Africa.

Besides there's still Jayasuriya and Dilshan . Those 2 + Lokuaraachchi should be good enough. Lokuaraachchi is picked because he is a genuine slogger and a better bat than Bandara.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
No point having too many spinners in 20/20 , more so given its in South Africa.

Besides there's still Jayasuriya and Dilshan . Those 2 + Lokuaraachchi should be good enough. Lokuaraachchi is picked because he is a genuine slogger and a better bat than Bandara.
Hmm spinners generally are the pick of bowlers in Twenty20, but really i would pick him for his ability to slog down the order.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Murali has already expressed his unavailability for 20/20 World Cup.

My SL squad -

Sanath
Tharanga
Warnapura
Sangakkara
Mahela
Chamara Silva
Dilshan
Lokuaarachchi
Maharoof
Vaas
Malinga

Kapugedera
Fernando
Zoysa
Amerasinghe
I hope Murali changes his mind after his match winning performance for Lancashire v Warwickshire in 20/20 with 4/18 of 4 overs.

If Murali comes in I would drop Maharoof and play Murali in the XI , hoping that Warnapura would bowl 3 overs at least and the rest of the overs by others ie Sanath, Dlishan, Chamara Silva . Van Dort is not suited for ODIs , so I can't see how he could be chosen for 20/20. Bandara seems to have lost the plot - and is becoming too expensive even at ODI level to be considered for 20/20.

Fiery

Banned
I hope Murali changes his mind after his match winning performance for Lancashire v Warwickshire in 20/20 with 4/18 of 4 overs.

If Murali comes in I would drop Maharoof and play Murali in the XI , hoping that Warnapura would bowl 3 overs at least and the rest of the overs by others ie Sanath, Dlishan, Chamara Silva . Van Dort is not suited for ODIs , so I can't see how he could be chosen for 20/20. Bandara seems to have lost the plot - and is becoming too expensive even at ODI level to be considered for 20/20.
Wouldn't Maharoof be handy with his hitting ability?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Wouldn't Maharoof be handy with his hitting ability?
His bowling is too easy even at ODI level...I can imagine the opposition batters lining up to face him at 20/20 ...he will be their dream bowler to face at 20/20.:laugh:

Fiery

Banned
His bowling is too easy even at ODI level...I can imagine the opposition batters lining up to face him at 20/20 ...he will be their dream bowler to face at 20/20.:laugh:
mmm, an OD econ rate of 4.79 is not tooooo bad...and an ave of 25 is good