• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa Thread

umop 3p!sdn

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think Kallis should be part of the team. I think he is capable of scoring quickly, and even though 20/20 is very short, you don't need to "slog" from ball one.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Kallis had a better strike rate in the World Cup than Gayle, Hussey, Pietersen, Sangakarra, Jayawardene and everyone barr Aftab Ahmed in the Bangladesh team.

83.91 isn't too bad.

umop 3p!sdn

School Boy/Girl Captain
^ Exactly PheonixFire! the team shouldn't only consist of players who can hit the ball along way, and not only young players, we need some experience.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
According to coach Arthur anyone who is apart of the RSA A tour to Zim is not apart of the 15 and with the quota being at the 7 mark this could realistically be the 15 selected

Smith- Captain
Kallis- Vice
Bosman
Boucher
AB
Gibbs
Kemp
Morne Morkel
Ntini
Peterson
Philander
Pollock
Thomas
Tshabalala
van der Wath

And out of those 15 this would be my eleven

Smith
Bosman
AB- W/K
Gibbs
Kemp
Pollock
Philander
van der Wath
Peterson
Morkel
Tshabalala

Though, with Kallis being vice captain his almost guaranteed to start...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
According to coach Arthur anyone who is apart of the RSA A tour to Zim is not apart of the 15 and with the quota being at the 7 mark this could realistically be the 15 selected

Smith- Captain
Kallis- Vice
Bosman
Boucher
AB
Gibbs
Kemp
Morne Morkel
Ntini
Peterson
Philander
Pollock
Thomas
Tshabalala
van der Wath

And out of those 15 this would be my eleven

Smith
Bosman
AB- W/K
Gibbs
Kemp
Pollock
Philander
van der Wath
Peterson
Morkel
Tshabalala

Though, with Kallis being vice captain his almost guaranteed to start...
along with Boucher & Ntini i would think..

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
along with Boucher & Ntini i would think..
Boucher for Kemp is interchangeable but I would have thought South Africa will be slightly apprehensive in playing Ntini, given that he isn’t the best death bowler and his lack of variety with the ball would be of concern.

Julian87

State Captain
I also remember Kallis throwing his wicket away in the WC semi final to a very stupid, lazy and aggressive shot. Lost the game for RSA imo.

Corli

U19 Cricketer
Here's the squad...no Kallis

Graeme Smith (Captain)
Gulam Bodi
Loots Bosman
Mark Boucher
AB de Villiers
Jean-Paul Duminy
Herschelle Gibbs
Justin Kemp
Albie Morkel
Mornè Morkel
Makhaya Ntini
Vernon Philander
Shaun Pollock
Thandi Tshabalala
Johan van der Wath

Van Wyk unlucky to miss out IMO.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Good squad. Couple of guys I’m not that keen on but it is a bold and brave move in not going with Kallis. Looks like South Africa’s plan will be to bat a very long way down and then just have one or two front line wicket takers.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I just hope we manage to take wickets...who do you reckon will be played at number 3?
Presumably Loots and 'The Witness' are going to open, so AB should be at three, Gibbs at four and then the ‘all-rounders’.

pskov

International 12th Man
Suprised Hall wasn;t picked, he has a pretty decent Twenty20 record at domestic level. 22 with the bat at 128 SR and 22 with the ball at 7,83 econ.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
I'm happy with the team. I would have tried to squeeze Nel in somewhere and even Hall, but there are only so many places to fill. I, of course, agree with leaving Kallis out. I've been advocating that for a while. Only for the 20/20 matches though. I think we've got a good squad. A nice combination of youth and experience, with no one completely inexperienced.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Anyone noticed that Godi is the player who tooks KP's state side spot and led to him moving to England?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Here's the squad...no Kallis

Van Wyk unlucky to miss out IMO.
Agreed. Van Wyk has a better 20/20 highest score, strike rate and average than Bodi as well as a massively superior List A record.

Apart from that Ive no real complaints with the squad. There is so little depth in SA cricket for a number of reasons that there are no real suprises