• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Felt the need to reopen this thread.

My team

Vincent
McCullum
Taylor
Fulton
Hay
Houpapa
Oram
Vettori
Mills
Patel
Bond

IMO Mills is even more important than Bond in this thing. He is our only genuine death bowler and yorkers are what ya need to bowl well in 20/20.
Patel and Bond are both superior death bowlers than Mills.

Natman20

International Debutant
Felt the need to reopen this thread.

My team

Vincent
McCullum
Taylor
Fulton
Hay
Houpapa
Oram
Vettori
Mills
Patel
Bond

IMO Mills is even more important than Bond in this thing. He is our only genuine death bowler and yorkers are what ya need to bowl well in 20/20.
Mills isn't traditionally a death bowler. In fact it is quite often dreaded when he bowls at the death. It used to be almost as bad as sending Franklin in. He is more valuable in ODIs at the beginning and middle of the innings IMO. I don't know if the Twenty/20 will suit him but I guess it is time to get him back in the side. He deffinately should be there ahead of Gillespie and Mason depending on his fitness. I don't know about selecting Houpapa, he only has limited experience and hasn't really scored big all that often but I do understand he can hit the ball pretty well. It would be good to throw Hay onto the international scene early especially with his impressive record so far however from reports heard of him he seems to be more of a person that can stick around not so much score sixes on a regular basis, I completely agree with him being selected for the ODI or possibly Test team though. I personally would like to see Hitchcock and Harris get a go for the world cup and possibly Papps opening with McCullum a possible three? The unfortunate one to miss from your list is Styris who has been in excellent form for the world cup and can hit it quite well.

After that, here is my XI

L Vincent
M Papps
B McCullum (w)
R Taylor
S Styris
C Harris
J Oram
P Hitchcock
D Vettori (c)
K Mills
S Bond

A bit of a strange one but I like it.

Back-ups: P Fulton, C McMillan, M Gillespie, J Patel

Flem274*

123/5
Mills isn't traditionally a death bowler. In fact it is quite often dreaded when he bowls at the death. It used to be almost as bad as sending Franklin in. He is more valuable in ODIs at the beginning and middle of the innings IMO. I don't know if the Twenty/20 will suit him but I guess it is time to get him back in the side. He deffinately should be there ahead of Gillespie and Mason depending on his fitness. I don't know about selecting Houpapa, he only has limited experience and hasn't really scored big all that often but I do understand he can hit the ball pretty well. It would be good to throw Hay onto the international scene early especially with his impressive record so far however from reports heard of him he seems to be more of a person that can stick around not so much score sixes on a regular basis, I completely agree with him being selected for the ODI or possibly Test team though. I personally would like to see Hitchcock and Harris get a go for the world cup and possibly Papps opening with McCullum a possible three? The unfortunate one to miss from your list is Styris who has been in excellent form for the world cup and can hit it quite well.

After that, here is my XI

L Vincent
M Papps
B McCullum (w)
R Taylor
S Styris
C Harris
J Oram
P Hitchcock
D Vettori (c)
K Mills
S Bond

A bit of a strange one but I like it.

Back-ups: P Fulton, C McMillan, M Gillespie, J Patel
I'd like to see Papps open in all forms of the game though traditionally he has been a slow scorer so maybe not a 20/20 man but in ODI's in tests I'd much rather we have someone stick around in the top order as Vincent and Taylor are either little score or big score players. As for Harris I completely agree. In fact I'm amazed he wasn't at the WC. We saw how lethal Styris's bowling was, imagine Harris's. I also agree that McCullum has a future in the top order, he just needs to stop being Gilchrist and be McCullum which is get annoying sneaky runs all around the park and dispatch the pie to the boundary.

i don't know anything about Hitchcock though I have heard good things. What's he like? and is he young or near the end of his career?

Natman20

International Debutant
I'd like to see Papps open in all forms of the game though traditionally he has been a slow scorer so maybe not a 20/20 man but in ODI's in tests I'd much rather we have someone stick around in the top order as Vincent and Taylor are either little score or big score players. As for Harris I completely agree. In fact I'm amazed he wasn't at the WC. We saw how lethal Styris's bowling was, imagine Harris's. I also agree that McCullum has a future in the top order, he just needs to stop being Gilchrist and be McCullum which is get annoying sneaky runs all around the park and dispatch the pie to the boundary.

i don't know anything about Hitchcock though I have heard good things. What's he like? and is he young or near the end of his career?
Hitchcock is a decent all-rounder. He is around 29-30ish I think. Hes had a tiny stint for the blackcaps a while ago but didn't do that well. He has played well at Twenty/20 at fomestic level.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Styris' bowling in the World Cup was lethal because of the rubbish nature of the pitches. Although he's usually decent in Twenty20 he shouldn't be anywhere near as useful as he was in the World Cup.