• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Thread

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Discussion on the possibilities of the composition of the side and indeed England's chances.

Template XI

Maddy
Benning/Loye
Loye/Trott/Sales
KP- Captain
Flintoff
Collingwood/Bopara
Nixon/Prior- Wicket Keeper
Mascarenhas
Napier
Broad
Doshi/Swann/Yardy

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Trescothick would hopefully be back by then so he should open with Benning or Loye. Dunno about the bowling but I wouldn't have Mascarenhas and Napier.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
My X1 would look something like...

Marcus Trescothick
James Benning
Ronnie Irani
Kevin Pietersen
Andrew Flintoff
Paul Nixon
Ravi Bopara
Jeremy Snape
Stuart Broad
Ryan Sidebottom
Nayan Doshi

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah he doesn't bowl and is bollocks in the field but he can bat alright especially in twenty20 cricket. Scored 338 runs @ 42 with 1 century and 3 half centuries.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah he doesn't bowl and is bollocks in the field but he can bat alright especially in twenty20 cricket. Scored 338 runs @ 42 with 1 century and 3 half centuries.
Mmm.

It is all well and good bashing around **** county attacks in Twenty20, and that certainly is a good record, but I would be tempted to go with a player who has proven themselves at International level, or young kids who need International expirience. Exceptions are people like Ali Brown etc.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'd hardly say many international attacks are alot better than county attacks tbh.
Are you seriously trying to say that people like Asif, Malinga, Lee, Tait, Vaas, Muralitharan, Ntini, Pollock.......... are actually better than county trundlers and medium pacers?

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Are you seriously trying to say that people like Asif, Malinga, Lee, Tait, Vaas, Muralitharan, Ntini, Pollock.......... are actually better than county trundlers and medium pacers?
I'm not talking about the very best international bowlers. Just ones who are pretty average and who aren't imo much better than "county trundlers".

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah wouldn't go near Napier tbh, and also, why have you out Yardy/Swann so far at 11?
Why not? Good domestic one day bowler, bowls with a reasonable skiddy lick, can reverse it, hit’s the ball a long way and more significantly his very good in this format. Just a question of what Napier turns up.

And Yardy and Swann are at 11 for Doshi would be my first 'pick'.

Chase

Banned
Discussion on the possibilities of the composition of the side and indeed England's chances.

Template XI

Maddy
Benning/Loye
Loye/Trott/Sales
KP- Captain
Flintoff
Collingwood/Bopara
Mascarenhas
Napier
Broad
Doshi/Swann/Yardy

Thoughts?
Sure he's eliegible. If he is, then I'll have Pothas as another keeper.

cover drive man

International Captain
England have a good chance but I don't think they'll win.

1) They might not take it seriously

2) If Australia and South Africa take it seriously we don't have a chance.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
On England news, our self-proclaimed new bowling coach has declared himself available for the Tournament as a number 3 batsman and opening bowler.

You really couldn't make it up how much he over-rates himself.

steds

Hall of Fame Member

Template XI

Maddy
Benning/Loye
Loye/Trott/Sales
KP- Captain
Flintoff
Collingwood/Bopara
Mascarenhas
Napier
Broad
Doshi/Swann/Yardy

Thoughts?
My X1 would look something like...

Marcus Trescothick
James Benning
Ronnie Irani
Kevin Pietersen
Andrew Flintoff
Paul Nixon
Ravi Bopara
Jeremy Snape
Stuart Broad
Ryan Sidebottom
Nayan Doshi
Can't see the side being as far flung from the ODI side as either of these.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Can't see the side being as far flung from the ODI side as either of these.
Then any hopes we had of scoring at a reasonable rate are gone. Ian Bell, Andrew Strauss and LOL Michael Vaughan playing 20/20, be lucky to get 140.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Reckon the side will look something like:

Trescothick
Benning
Pietersen
Flintoff
Collingwood
Bopara
Prior
Dalrymple
Plunkett
Broad
Panesar

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Reckon the side will look something like:

Trescothick
Benning
Pietersen
Flintoff
Collingwood
Bopara
Prior
Dalrymple
Plunkett
Broad
Panesar
Pretty good side IMO, although instead of Panesar I many consider someone like Yardy/Snape who has done well domestically in 20/20. Don't know if its going to be a 15-man squad like the WC, but if thats the case my other 4 players would be:

Maddy/Loye - both similar type players just depends on who the selectors go for
Mascarenhas - if they don't pick him by then they never will
Jones
Anderson