• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Thread

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Taking the pace off the ball is key in twenty/20
Spinners do well but they bowl at the better times for statistics anyway so that helps. The fastest bowlers can be very economical or get blitzed, but generally do well along with the spinners.

Of course given the condition of the ball (new or newish for all of the innings) that will lend itself to certain bowlers anyway. Meaning it's a bit more down to the individual than my general comments.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Spinners do well but they bowl at the better times for statistics anyway so that helps. The fastest bowlers can be very economical or get blitzed, but generally do well along with the spinners.

Of course given the condition of the ball (new or newish for all of the innings) that will lend itself to certain bowlers anyway. Meaning it's a bit more down to the individual than my general comments.
Nah, general comments apply. When the batsman is looking to line a bowler up the pace on the ball helps dramatically. Just get the left leg out of the way and swing through the line.

Its more difficult to put the pace on the ball yourself as a batsman. Many guys who have played twenty/20 talk about the relative ease of facing a med/fast seamer compared to a canny dobber or spinner.

If you look at SA Po-20 this season (where the WC will take place) 5 of the top 7 econ rates were spinners. J Botha, T Tshabalala ,WL Coetsee, PL Harris, N Boje.
Given that there are only 6 Franchises it fair to say that spinners dominated in terms of keeping the scoring rate down.

Of the 20 players with the worst econ rates (min 10 overs for season) only 3 were spinners and of those 3 one was a 19 yr old kid and another was a batsman/bowler.

As I said, taking pace off the ball is key.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

SA aren't great players of spin and as I already said they bowl at the better times for economy rate. It only takes the odd game where a team is consolidating when the spinners come on to greatly improve the ERs - plus most of the seamers will have to bowl in the last couple or so overs which you'd usually be delighted to go for less than 10 an over.

I would also say those statistics you're using are far too small a sample size as well to judge much from.

Against a greater class of batsmen I think spinners will be less effective in the World Cup than they are domestically.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
SA aren't great players of spin and as I already said they bowl at the better times for economy rate. It only takes the odd game where a team is consolidating when the spinners come on to greatly improve the ERs - plus most of the seamers will have to bowl in the last couple or so overs which you'd usually be delighted to go for less than 10 an over.

I would also say those statistics you're using are far too small a sample size as well to judge much from.
Not really. The sample size is a season and it is nearly as simple as spinners at the top and seamers at the bottom.

As for better times to bowl in 20/20. Its pretty much all go dont you think? Field retrictions early and gunning it at the end but its still blast off in the middle.

Scaly piscine

A sample size where players have barely bowled around 10-15 overs isn't sufficient.

It's generally quieter in the middle, it's all relative of course but it's still generally quieter. The wickets play a part in that, obviously at the start they'll be fewer down and batsmen look to exploit the fielding restrictions. If a team takes a few wickets it'll slow the runs down in the overs after that - ie when the spinners are usually on, because they have to take fewer risks. Later on it's then generally back to all out assault.

If spinners were so effective generally you'd see them regularly bowl in the opening 6 and in the last couple or so overs.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
If spinners were so effective generally you'd see them regularly bowl in the opening 6 and in the last couple or so overs.
No issues with them bowling at the end of the innings. I wouldnt have them open as you are then taking the new ball away from the seamers and that is their only real weapon in a bat happy game.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Reckon the side will look something like:

Trescothick
Benning
Pietersen
Flintoff
Collingwood
Bopara
Prior
Dalrymple
Plunkett
Broad
Panesar
Looks pretty sound to me. I'd have Doshi in for Panesar, and someone like Yardy in for Dalrymple. Maybe someone else for Plunkett as well - can't afford to be giving wides away in 20:20.

Chase

Banned
Pretty good side IMO, although instead of Panesar I many consider someone like Yardy/Snape who has done well domestically in 20/20. Don't know if its going to be a 15-man squad like the WC, but if thats the case my other 4 players would be:

Maddy/Loye - both similar type players just depends on who the selectors go for
Mascarenhas - if they don't pick him by then they never will
Jones
Anderson

that what will happen which is a sad occurance.

Chase

Banned
Maybe they should pick bowlers that Richard likes...

Unfortunetly that'll never happen and Ealham and Gough are too old.:laugh:

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Hell yea, how coud i forget about Blackie a good season he should be a must in the side 20/20 would suite him perfectly...
In that you've only got to hide him in the field for 20 overs and put up with a maximum of 4 overs of his god-awful bowling? He's like Cameron White, except fatter, and not as good.

I'm not a fan.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
In that you've only got to hide him in the field for 20 overs and put up with a maximum of 4 overs of his god-awful bowling? He's like Cameron White, except fatter, and not as good.

I'm not a fan.

i take it you haven't seen his odi bowling record then. i'm not saying he is going to be a long term success, but he deserves another run for england in limited overs cricket as the spin option me thinks judging by how he went in the past.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/england/content/player/9117.html

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
i take it you haven't seen his odi bowling record then. i'm not saying he is going to be a long term success, but he deserves another run for england in limited overs cricket as the spin option me thinks judging by how he went in the past.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/england/content/player/9117.html
Fair enough, I may have been a little harsh. I used to post on a forum where some Somerset fan drove me to distraction with his overly effusive praise of 'Blackie' and I've never liked him since. His average isn't bad (although no one would call 36.54 good) and he's probably a better option than Dalrymple, and obviously more suited to the limited overs game than Panesar. I'd rather see Doshi in the 20:20 side though.

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
My X1 would look something like...

Marcus Trescothick
James Benning
Ronnie Irani
Kevin Pietersen
Andrew Flintoff
Paul Nixon
Ravi Bopara
Jeremy Snape
Stuart Broad
Ryan Sidebottom
Nayan Doshi
Pretty much exactly how I would have had it. Apart from Loye in for Irani. Still a very strong line up.

Can't see the side being as far flung from the ODI side as either of these.
Unfortunatly you are right. England won't take the tournement seriously. Wouldn't be surprised to see Cook in the squad.

CricketMan01

Cricket Spectator
Discussion on the possibilities of the composition of the side and indeed England's chances.

Template XI

Maddy
Benning/Loye
Loye/Trott/Sales
KP- Captain
Flintoff
Collingwood/Bopara
Nixon/Prior- Wicket Keeper
Mascarenhas
Napier
Broad
Doshi/Swann/Yardy

Thoughts?
I think Loye will open with Trescothick who will hopefully be back by then and Nixon will be the wicky because of his great form against the West Indies. Collingwood will get the all rounder spot because he is a better bat than Bopara in any form of the game and Colly will also be the captain. Monty Panasar will also be in as the spinner that is if he wants to play international twenty20.

Matteh

Pretty obvious to me that you need Maddy in there. Leicestershire have had lots of success, this season they're dire. Maddy's moved to Warks, who haven't lost a 20/20 game yet.

Benning
Loye
Pietersen
Maddy
Tresco
Flintoff
Trott
Pothas
Yardy
Broad
Panesar

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Not alot of bowlers there mind...and I'd waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy prefer Doshi over Monty. Jeremy Snape should also come in for Yardy imo.

Scaly piscine

Pretty obvious to me that you need Maddy in there. Leicestershire have had lots of success, this season they're dire. Maddy's moved to Warks, who haven't lost a 20/20 game yet.

Benning
Loye
Pietersen
Maddy
Tresco
Flintoff
Trott
Pothas
Yardy
Broad
Panesar

Trott but no Collingwood...