• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 World Championship vs Cricket World Cup

Which one will have more value in the future:

• Cricket World Cup

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • Twenty20 World Cup

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters

LA ICE-E

State Captain
With both the tournament being next year and as twenty20 become normal part of cricket, consider the following questions: Which one will have more value? How is the twenty20 world championship going to be better then the cricket world cup? How's the cricket world cup better then the tewnty20 championship? What will be better overall?

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cricket World Cup will have more value in the eyes of the players and the proper cricket fans but I think the average person just getting into cricket will probably value Twenty20 more because of the action, pace and lack of one sided games.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Perm said:
Cricket World Cup will have more value in the eyes of the players and the proper cricket fans but I think the average person just getting into cricket will probably value Twenty20 more because of the action, pace and lack of one sided games.
so since 20/20 will genarate more peoples interest shouldn't its championship be the #1 tournament...you know how they say right now the world cup is crickets most valueble trounament and champions trophy is crickets #2 tournament...well should twenty20 be the # tournament or the main one?

dont get me wrong im up for the cricket world cup but all these ICC tournaments for the senior players make things confusing to put it prospective...soccer has 1 fifa tournament the world cup and its most valuable but cricket has it all confusing for just average person

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
For crying out loud.

ODI >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Twenty20

How many different threads are you going to start about Twenty20?

Josh

International Regular
Twenty20 isn't real cricket. It's a game in which you swing from your arse in the hope of scoring runs. I would sure hate to be a bowler playing 20 over cricket. They just get murdered.

Traditional fans are far more important than newcomers to the sport, therefore the ODI World Cup will remain the premier cricketing tournament.

Nishant

International 12th Man
LA ICE-E said:
ah test >>>>>>ODI but ODI is the CRICKET world cup........

Good point. I think the most important tounaments are those that attract the most fans and hence, the players think its important as well. After all, to the players, the most important tournament is the one they are most likely to be congratulated the most about for winning it! I think dat makes sense! 8-)

Nishant

International 12th Man
Josh said:
Twenty20 isn't real cricket. It's a game in which you swing from your arse in the hope of scoring runs. I would sure hate to be a bowler playing 20 over cricket. They just get murdered.

Traditional fans are far more important than newcomers to the sport, therefore the ODI World Cup will remain the premier cricketing tournament.

I personally enjoy test cricket and then One day cricket over 20/20 any day.....its more of a contest between bat and ball.....but i still think that next year, the 20/20 WC will be worth watching. For one, its the first ever one...plus 20/20 is exciting!

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Perm said:
What about Euro? I beleive FIFA host that event aswell.
UEFA host the EURO’s but they part of the continental confederations of FIFA. However it is called the UEFA European Football Championship and they organise it and run it.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
question is what is the ultimate prize going to be for cricket in the future...winning the twenty20 world championship or will it be the same with the cricket world cup and 20/20 being a sub tournament...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nishant said:
But you would still wanna win evry game!
Yea, but I'd go 0-100 in the next 100 ODI if it meant we'd draw every single away test series, and win every single home test series.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Basically what I don't understand is that most us here on CW say that Test cricket is more important than ODI (forget the 20/20 for right now, it's obviously not as important as Test and ODI and is just for entertainment)... but then should we regard the Cricket World Cup very highly, because what's the point if we don't consider ODIs important! I mean FIFA has one major tournament the World Cup and only one format, but us cricket fans are a one confused bunch because we don't know what's more important... A Test Series or the World Cup, and if you say the World Cup then I ask you why you regard Test matches more highly than ODIs?

I really don't get this, seriously!

Perm

silentstriker said:
Hehe, proper cricket fans don't value the ODI game much anyway.
Compared to Twenty20 they do. Anyway why were the South African commentators calling it Pro20?

Perm

Turbinator said:
Basically what I don't understand is that most us here on CW say that Test cricket is more important than ODI (forget the 20/20 for right now, it's obviously not as important as Test and ODI and is just for entertainment)... but then should we regard the Cricket World Cup very highly, because what's the point if we don't consider ODIs important!

I really don't get this, seriously!
The Cricket World Cup is the "pinnacle" of cricket and it gives the players some glory and something to show for if they win it. Plus the fact it only comes around once every 4 years and puts the best nations against each other (excluding the minnows, they are there to make up numbers) whereas in a test series you are playing the same opposition and you could be playing them in another 2 months.