Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Twenty20 World Cup

Twenty20 World Cup

Scheduled for September 2007.

I can't think of anything more...rubbish.

It suits New Zealand to a tee however; with only two tests in the next 17 months, we will eventually forget how to bat for more than 50 overs and employ one-day tactics all the time. Rather than the 'Black Caps', the team will become 'One Day Caps', and so forth.

Its obvious: Martin Sneddon wants us to win the first ever Twenty20 World Cup. The ICC World Cup is simply an annoyance. The real money is in Twenty20 - fast bowlers, fast batsmen and a fast crowd. Everything is just fast. Even the commentators.

(Future bulletin)
    "In sport, the first round of the Twenty20 World Cup was staged today. Ireland beat Australia, Zimbabwe smashed India and New Zealand drew with the USA... The ICC has announced plans to stage a Ten10 World Cup, thinking the intiative would further develop one-day cricket. Furthermore, the ICC has officially cancelled all test match scheduling for the next 10 years. New Zealand was apparently indifferent, mainly because they didn't have any tests scheduled anyway."

Cynicism over.
    Last edited by AndrewM; 16-06-2006 at 05:08 PM.
    "Harmison runs in now....a comical pile of sawdust behind him.."

-Henry Blofield, overheard, 4th Ashes test

After initial dissent, the super-power-play-rules were well received:

"moving the boundaries in to within 25 yards of the pitch, replacing the old fashioned leather balls with attractive pink tennis balls (which don't swing and ruin an otherwise good day's slog-i-mean-batting, and barring fieldsmen have certainly contributed to some fast scoring, which definitely keeps the crowd interested. Replacing the old fashion country based teams with multinational themed squads has also been a positive move in terms of increasing the sponsorship dollar and therefore helping grass roots cricket" said Starbucks Coffee captain Ricky Ponting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

I heard 10,000 people are going to be flocking Federation Square here in Melbourne to watch Australia play.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    My God, naysayers abound! Just about the same stuff was propagated about the death of Test cricket when ODI's came into being. Show a little optimism, guys; I'd watch a 20/20 WC!
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    If it kills off ODIs then I'm all for it. (course, it won't, since we've got the BCCI loving their 8-hour days with ad breaks...)
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    If it kills off ODIs then I'm all for it. (course, it won't, since we've got the BCCI loving their 8-hour days with ad breaks...)
    Yep, and those thrilling 7 ODI series that are usually over after 4-5 games - still they don't have a final as such so that's good for India.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

International Debutant Natman20's Avatar
    I'd rather watch a Test match series than a Twenty20 world cup. I think it appeals a lot to new people interested in cricket and I geuss it has been a success so far but I think it needs a bit more testing done beofre they could announce the World Cup. It better not replace any form of cricket as that would be tragic. ODIs and Tests should be placed first IMO

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    Yep, and those thrilling 7 ODI series that are usually over after 4-5 games - still they don't have a final as such so that's good for India.
    As an English fan, I don't see how you can make mocking comments about the Indian ODI side.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    I could not agree more. Ive often been called a traditionalist but I really enjoy 20/20 cricket. On the other hand I would not walk to the end of my street to watch a ODI. 20/20 and Test cricket are 2 extremes with each having their nuances. ODIs are (IMO) worthless.

Heres to 20/20 killing the ODI.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    If they must have 20/20 fine, but don't call it cricket, it is a ******* child and should not be able to use its fathers name

I have a picture in the latest Aust. Wisden of a player letting the ball go and it hitting his stumps so he could run byes! (he had a free hit). Now that can not be cricket
    You know it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    If they must have 20/20 fine, but don't call it cricket, it is a ******* child and should not be able to use its fathers name

I have a picture in the latest Aust. Wisden of a player letting the ball go and it hitting his stumps so he could run byes! (he had a free hit). Now that can not be cricket
    So you're saying that people exploiting the rules to their full extent isn't cricket?

Wait do the day we have Baseball-style double header's for Twenty20.

A certain Rich Hingston would probably become Kevin Pieterson's number one fan before watching that.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Autobahn
    So you're saying that people exploiting the rules to their full extent isn't cricket?
    I am saying a bowler bowling the ball at the stumps and the batsman letting the ball go deliberatly and being bowled deliberatly is not cricket. Well not the game I have been watching for 35 years

Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    I am saying a bowler bowling the ball at the stumps and the batsman letting the ball go deliberatly and being bowled deliberatly is not cricket. Well not the game I have been watching for 35 years
    So what is it then?

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    As an English fan, I don't see how you can make mocking comments about the Indian ODI side.
    Winning one of those long 5/7 game series is like having the best practice lap time in a Grand Prix - doesn't really tell you anything because there are so many other factors thrown in. With an ODI final they at least mean something because both teams are up for it - if you hardly ever win these then you're not going to do well in a World Cup either when teams are even more up for it and there's yet more pressure.
    Last edited by Scaly piscine; 19-06-2006 at 07:51 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information