• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 World Cup

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
Scheduled for September 2007.

I can't think of anything more...rubbish.

It suits New Zealand to a tee however; with only two tests in the next 17 months, we will eventually forget how to bat for more than 50 overs and employ one-day tactics all the time. Rather than the 'Black Caps', the team will become 'One Day Caps', and so forth.

Its obvious: Martin Sneddon wants us to win the first ever Twenty20 World Cup. The ICC World Cup is simply an annoyance. The real money is in Twenty20 - fast bowlers, fast batsmen and a fast crowd. Everything is just fast. Even the commentators.

(Future bulletin)
"In sport, the first round of the Twenty20 World Cup was staged today. Ireland beat Australia, Zimbabwe smashed India and New Zealand drew with the USA... The ICC has announced plans to stage a Ten10 World Cup, thinking the intiative would further develop one-day cricket. Furthermore, the ICC has officially cancelled all test match scheduling for the next 10 years. New Zealand was apparently indifferent, mainly because they didn't have any tests scheduled anyway."

Cynicism over.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
After initial dissent, the super-power-play-rules were well received:

"moving the boundaries in to within 25 yards of the pitch, replacing the old fashioned leather balls with attractive pink tennis balls (which don't swing and ruin an otherwise good day's slog-i-mean-batting, and barring fieldsmen have certainly contributed to some fast scoring, which definitely keeps the crowd interested. Replacing the old fashion country based teams with multinational themed squads has also been a positive move in terms of increasing the sponsorship dollar and therefore helping grass roots cricket" said Starbucks Coffee captain Ricky Ponting.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I heard 10,000 people are going to be flocking Federation Square here in Melbourne to watch Australia play.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My God, naysayers abound! Just about the same stuff was propagated about the death of Test cricket when ODI's came into being. Show a little optimism, guys; I'd watch a 20/20 WC!

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
If it kills off ODIs then I'm all for it. (course, it won't, since we've got the BCCI loving their 8-hour days with ad breaks...)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Samuel_Vimes said:
If it kills off ODIs then I'm all for it. (course, it won't, since we've got the BCCI loving their 8-hour days with ad breaks...)
Yep, and those thrilling 7 ODI series that are usually over after 4-5 games - still they don't have a final as such so that's good for India.

Natman20

International Debutant
I'd rather watch a Test match series than a Twenty20 world cup. I think it appeals a lot to new people interested in cricket and I geuss it has been a success so far but I think it needs a bit more testing done beofre they could announce the World Cup. It better not replace any form of cricket as that would be tragic. ODIs and Tests should be placed first IMO

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
Yep, and those thrilling 7 ODI series that are usually over after 4-5 games - still they don't have a final as such so that's good for India.
As an English fan, I don't see how you can make mocking comments about the Indian ODI side.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
I could not agree more. Ive often been called a traditionalist but I really enjoy 20/20 cricket. On the other hand I would not walk to the end of my street to watch a ODI. 20/20 and Test cricket are 2 extremes with each having their nuances. ODIs are (IMO) worthless.

Heres to 20/20 killing the ODI.

archie mac

International Coach
If they must have 20/20 fine, but don't call it cricket, it is a ******* child and should not be able to use its fathers name:@

I have a picture in the latest Aust. Wisden of a player letting the ball go and it hitting his stumps so he could run byes! (he had a free hit). Now that can not be cricket:wacko:

Autobahn

State 12th Man
archie mac said:
If they must have 20/20 fine, but don't call it cricket, it is a ******* child and should not be able to use its fathers name:@

I have a picture in the latest Aust. Wisden of a player letting the ball go and it hitting his stumps so he could run byes! (he had a free hit). Now that can not be cricket:wacko:
So you're saying that people exploiting the rules to their full extent isn't cricket?

Craig

World Traveller
Wait do the day we have Baseball-style double header's for Twenty20.

A certain Rich Hingston would probably become Kevin Pieterson's number one fan before watching that.

archie mac

International Coach
Autobahn said:
So you're saying that people exploiting the rules to their full extent isn't cricket?
I am saying a bowler bowling the ball at the stumps and the batsman letting the ball go deliberatly and being bowled deliberatly is not cricket. Well not the game I have been watching for 35 years 8-)

Autobahn

State 12th Man
archie mac said:
I am saying a bowler bowling the ball at the stumps and the batsman letting the ball go deliberatly and being bowled deliberatly is not cricket. Well not the game I have been watching for 35 years 8-)
So what is it then?

Scaly piscine

marc71178 said:
As an English fan, I don't see how you can make mocking comments about the Indian ODI side.
Winning one of those long 5/7 game series is like having the best practice lap time in a Grand Prix - doesn't really tell you anything because there are so many other factors thrown in. With an ODI final they at least mean something because both teams are up for it - if you hardly ever win these then you're not going to do well in a World Cup either when teams are even more up for it and there's yet more pressure.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Scaly piscine said:
Winning one of those long 5/7 game series is like having the best practice lap time in a Grand Prix - doesn't really tell you anything because there are so many other factors thrown in. With an ODI final they at least mean something because both teams are up for it - if you hardly ever win these then you're not going to do well in a World Cup either when teams are even more up for it and there's yet more pressure.

India have been choking in the finals...that is pretty much undisputed. However, I still don't understand how an English cricket fan can mock Indian ODI side ;). That's like a Bangladesh fan making fun of Australian Test cricket.

Scaly piscine

England got to the final of the CT (beating Australia along the way), and tied with Australia in a final. Compare that to over the last few years India 'achieved' something like a long period of ~20 finals and won one of them.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Scaly piscine said:
England got to the final of the CT (beating Australia along the way), and tied with Australia in a final. Compare that to over the last few years India 'achieved' something like a long period of ~20 finals and won one of them.
So England have been in two finals in recent times, 'choked' in one (note: I don't think England choked against the Windies, just Bradshaw and Browne played very well at the end), and arguably 'choked' in the other as well (since they didn't actually win). Still no wins, so how is that a good ODI record?

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Do England have a Final in the Current 5 ODI series ?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
There was a team that went to the World Cup Finals. Did England make it to the Super Six ?