Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two Twenty20 World Cups on the way

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    That is the best idea I have heard about the whole thing.
    Not really, the ICC will make space for it in the schedule and it's every four years - so it's not like the rugby 7s in those respects and there is already a version of 7s played anyway. Not every country will take it seriously to start with, but they will eventually.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

It disappoints me that they've found a way to get fans along to Domestic cricket matches, get a bit of money in, and now the ICC jumps in and will probably dilute the crowds they get to the domestic Twenty20 games as a result.

Even if the novelty of Twenty20 games would have worn off eventually on the domestic circuit, it smells like one of those TV shows where the hero comes up with this awesome idea, and someone else takes the credit, and all the rewards that come from it, from him.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    Not 'The Never-Ending Story' then?
    LOL that crossed my mind initially, especially as the VB series is probably still going on, somewhere out there...
    Phil Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    It disappoints me that they've found a way to get fans along to Domestic cricket matches, get a bit of money in, and now the ICC jumps in and will probably dilute the crowds they get to the domestic Twenty20 games as a result.

Even if the novelty of Twenty20 games would have worn off eventually on the domestic circuit, it smells like one of those TV shows where the hero comes up with this awesome idea, and someone else takes the credit, and all the rewards that come from it, from him.
    What a load of nonsense. It's a natural progression for the format just as it was for ODIs several decades ago. Occasional international games do not dilute the crowd, especially World Cups that are every 4 years.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    What a load of nonsense. It's a natural progression for the format just as it was for ODIs several decades ago. Occasional international games do not dilute the crowd, especially World Cups that are every 4 years.
    But when they are playing 50-60-100 Twenty20 international games a year, I'd be surprised if the crowds keep coming.. Especially when they start chucking teams like Bangladesh into the mix
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    But when they are playing 50-60-100 Twenty20 international games a year, I'd be surprised if the crowds keep coming.. Especially when they start chucking teams like Bangladesh into the mix
    But they're not playing that many, or anywhere near. I don't think that number of domestic games has particularly stopped the crowds attending domestic rugby or football fixtures. I don't see internationals being particularly different and in cricket they'll never play that many Twenty20 games anyway - it's just not feasible.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    And also, Bangladesh might actually pull of an upset more often than you think. They can already pull an upset from time to time in ODI, this will suit them even more.

The shorter the game, the greater the chance of lesser-teams winning out. Its hard to keep up with Australia for five days and 450 overs, but for two sessions of 20 overs each? Yea, you can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    And also, Bangladesh might actually pull of an upset more often than you think. They can already pull an upset from time to time in ODI, this will suit them even more.

The shorter the game, the greater the chance of lesser-teams winning out. Its hard to keep up with Australia for five days and 450 overs, but for two sessions of 20 overs each? Yea, you can do that.
    And thing is in the 20/20 format spinners are often quite effective and so might suit the bangladesh attack better.

Pinball Champion!
    But they're not playing that many, or anywhere near
    Not at the moment, but when the ICC gets onto a moneyspinner, like Pro20, where do you stop them?

I'm just surprised the BCCI are so anti Pro20, after all, money seems to be their primary consideration, or maybe i'm just over estimating it's earning power..

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Not at the moment, but when the ICC gets onto a moneyspinner, like Pro20, where do you stop them?

I'm just surprised the BCCI are so anti Pro20, after all, money seems to be their primary consideration, or maybe i'm just over estimating it's earning power..
    50 overs lasts longer than 20 overs.

Hence more advertising occurs during 50 over games.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

State 12th Man
    20/20 event would only take a week max anyway. Go for it.
    GO THE BLACK CAPS!!!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Scaly, you're completely entitled to disagree with something (obviously), but do you have to call it a 'lod of nonsense?' Couldn't you just be nicer and say 'I disagree,' or just simply launch into what you're going to say?
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    Scaly, you're completely entitled to disagree with something (obviously), but do you have to call it a 'lod of nonsense?' Couldn't you just be nicer and say 'I disagree,' or just simply launch into what you're going to say?
    It was a load of nonsense, if you want to faff around with that diplomatic crap on a web forum then fine. I'll stick with telling it as it is thanks.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    It was a load of nonsense, if you want to faff around with that diplomatic crap on a web forum then fine. I'll stick with telling it as it is thanks.
    Does it ask too much to be polite?
    Is it just an excuse for a fight?
    Why the venting of spleens,
    wiping spittle off screens
    when you yourself talk so much sheight?
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information