• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Twenty20 World Cup

one_dayer

Cricket Spectator
A Twenty20 World cup would be the making of the format.. I can just picture it being nothing less than a HUGE success. In my opinion they should move faster with this format and get an international tournament sorted out in the next couple of years.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Yeah, it could be in the World cup intervals. Like:

50 Over World cup -2 years - 20twenty world cup - 2 years - 50 over world cup

Etc etc.

twctopcat

International Regular
BlackCap_Fan said:
Yeah, it could be in the World cup intervals. Like:

50 Over World cup -2 years - 20twenty world cup - 2 years - 50 over world cup

Etc etc.
Sounds good, kind of like the olympics and the world championships in athletics.

Lockey

Cricket Spectator
But is twenty20 played anywhere else but England? If it's not, then it wouldn't exactly be fair as England would be the only team with any real experiance in it.... Hang on, that means we'd have a good chance of winning a trophy. What a fantastic idea!

Waughney

International Debutant
Lockey said:
But is twenty20 played anywhere else but England? If it's not, then it wouldn't exactly be fair as England would be the only team with any real experiance in it.... Hang on, that means we'd have a good chance of winning a trophy. What a fantastic idea!
Played just about everywhere else now.

If there is one, I wouldn't expect it (at the very least) until 2009.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm sure they'll be some competition along the lines of a World Cup eventually, but obviously it's quite difficult to fit in something that involves every Test playing country, so I expect there'll be lots of competitions like the Asia Cup (or whatever it was called) first as sponsors etc. leap in to take advantage of the revenue generated by the Twenty20 format.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
it wouldn't take anywhere near as long as a 50 over world cup though so it cant be that hard to fit in the calender

Bookie

U19 12th Man
Its great for the money, but then the world cup would mean more and more pressure on the 50-over format, and we wouldnt want that now would we?

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Lockey said:

But then again Glichrist and Hayden bat in ODI's like they are 20twenty matches :D .

sportychic33

State 12th Man
no . .but Australia A played a twenty20 game v pakistan or west indians - can't really remember.
New Zealand are going to play Australia in the first official mens Twenty/20 (i think) on the 17th of February

one_dayer

Cricket Spectator
chris.hinton said:
I think that a Cricket Twenty20 world cup can Happen but i beleieve it must be played by the top 8 teams
Yeah if you think about it a tournament between the top 8 could be finished in 4 days. Have the Quarters take place over 2 days, the two semis could be played the day after and then the final a couple of days after that. I'm sure they could fit that somewhere in the schedule. Maybe cancel a couple of ODI's to make up for it, or even a Test. 1 Test Match = the length of an entire Twenty20 tournament. :D

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A Twenty20 World Cup would have more games than that inevitably, since it's a World Cup you have to let the minnows qualify. Going on previous & current form the ICC would have at least 16 countries involved and then it'd be lots of group stages to give the said minnows a minimum of 3 games.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
At least give the minnows a chance at the first tournament, agreed - then when the inevitable expansion came, they wouldn't be quite as out of their depth.

16 teams, it would look like this:

Pool A:
Australia
Sri Lanka
USA
Namibia

Pool B:
England
India
Zimbabwe
Holland

Pool C:
New Zealand
South Africa
Bangladesh
Scotland

Pool D:
West Indies
Pakistan
Kenya
UAE

Quarters:
Australia v India
England v Sri Lanka
New Zealand v Pakistan
West Indies v South Africa

Semis:
Australia v England
New Zealand v West Indies

Final:
England (hee hee) v New Zealand

Winners:
ENGLAND!!

I wish...... :D

Natman20

International Debutant
Awesome

A twenty/twenty cup would be awesome some poor playing teams in tests and ODIs could probably be more competitive. I think NZ, AUS and maybe IND would do well. :wacko: