• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zimbabwe offer to forfeit Intercontinental Cup game

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Zimbabwe news: Zimbabwe offer to forfeit Intercontinental Cup finals berth | Cricket News | ICC Intercontinental Cup 2009/10 | Cricinfo.com

Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC) has offered to forfeit Zimbabwe XI's ICC Intercontinental Cup match against Scotland, and consequently the chance for a place in the final, after Cricket Scotland reversed its decision to send a team to Zimbabwe in October following advice from the Scottish government against visiting the country. The proposal, if approved by the ICC, will result in Scotland gaining full points from the match and qualifying for the final.......

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Things are getting really tough for ICC. They need to take a tougher stance on these issues and try to avoid such confrontations.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's actually a pretty generous offer from Zimbabwe; they've basically said "this tournament is more important to Scotland than it is to us, so we're willing to chuck points away so Scotland can qualify for the final."

Fair play to them for that.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Surely if Zimbabwe are willing to forfeit the game, then rearranging it for a ground over the border in South Africa would be a realistic option?

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Don't really understand what the issue is here. Why does Scotland not want to play in Zimbabwe?

Chubb

International Regular
I agree with Heath. Why not just hold it in SA? It's not difficult and it would probably be cheaper for the Scots.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Very noble. However, the ICC should have awarded Zim full points as soon as Scotland were pulled out.

Means little anyhow as the Zimbabwean XI is a second/third string outfit and not a real representation of their possible test credentials.

stumpski

International Captain
Hard to see why Scotland should receive full points for a match they didn't play. A fairer solution would be for the two sides to share the points, or both receive no points and just leave it as an unplayed fixture. Worth pointing out also that Ireland played there recently with no problems.

Also England did send a team there in late 2004, the situation in Zimbabwe was certainly no better then, in fact I think it may have been worse?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
So, were sporting boycotts of Apartheid South Africa both needless and futile?
No one would have bothered if the racist policy of selection was practiced only by SAF. They tried to impose in on England as well. And BTW there is nothing happening in ZIM even close to apartheid SAF regimen in these days. Just because ENG cannot withstand Mugabe it doen't need to be reflected on the sports.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And BTW there is nothing happening in ZIM even close to apartheid SAF regimen in these days. Just because ENG cannot withstand Mugabe it does not reflect on the sports.
I'm not even trying to comment on what's going on in Zimbabwe, as I have nowhere near enough information. However you said that there's no place in Sport for Politics and all I'm trying to say is that there is a past example of where Sport and Politics have interlinked for the better.