• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zimbabwe are Improving!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I can see why they're doing it, but I think it's a shame players like Ballance and Ervine are opting to play county cricket rather than tests.

Compton would be a good get for them though. But, again, I imagine a county contract is worth two or three times what the Zimbabwean board will be able to pay him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I can see why they're doing it, but I think it's a shame players like Ballance and Ervine are opting to play county cricket rather than tests.

Compton would be a good get for them though. But, again, I imagine a county contract is worth two or three times what the Zimbabwean board will be able to pay him.
Colin de Grandhomme plays domestic cricket in New Zealand he could easily slot into the setup as well.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
When is Kyle Jarvis fit again? Haven't heard a thing about Kyle since he broke down in the Windies last year. Looked like a real talent.

Shame Ballance doesn't fancy it.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The daft thing is if they had a full strength team willing to play they would already be a better side than the Bangladesh one of a couple of years back without improving with the extra experience that playing a few years of tests would bring. The key to the side will probably be Price as he is the one true test class bowler they have, they will need to produce a pace bowler or two though to be able to compete longer term.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Zimbabwe have always had competitive players floating around, their problems have all been with administration and off field interference/issues. If they come back and the structure behind the teams in place well i can seem them doing decently against the lower ranked teams.

Challis

U19 12th Man
This is really good news, especially for Bangladesh, we can add another notch to our "Test wins belt" :naughty:
But serously this is the right way to get Zimbabwe back into Test cricket, especially the four day games against the Australia A side. This is what should have happened with Bangladesh, when they were being inducted into Test Cricket; First Class games against the A sided of the top teams. The player will learn a lot more from these games than getting thrashed in 2 or 3 days.

SeamUp

International Coach
Not so long ago, Dav Whatmore said they will be like Kenya.

Was just thinking with Zimbabwean born and bred de Grandhomme debuting for New Zealand from a cricketing family along with Ballance in the England set-up from another Zimbabwean cricket family. It was great having a competitive Zimbabwe around. I also read recently how Hilton Cartwright of WA said growing up all he wanted to do was play cricket for Zimbabwe and now it's all changed and very much Australian and in the 'A' side now.

Their history goes back some way. First FC game v Transvaal in 1905 ? I was wanting to total up the amount of Rhodesians that represented South Africa and it looks like it was 10 of them.

Colin Bland
Denis Tomlinson
John Traicos
Tony Pithey
David Pithey
Joe Partridge
Percy Mansell
Goofy Lawrence
Jackie Du Preez
Chris Duckworth

Some other former Rhodesian legends like Duncan Fletcher & Dave Houghton got to play for Zimbabwe. Great interview with Houghton here : Dave Houghton: 'I had opportunities to leave but I didn't want Zimbabwe to go downhill' | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Trevor Penney, Graeme Hick, Kevin Curran (his sons all set to play for England) and Peter Rawson certainly became domestic legends for their teams in England & SA.

Then after that they had the Campbell, Johnson, Goodwin, A + G Flower , G.Whittall, Taylor, Taibu, Streak, Olonga, Price etc The lost S.Ervine too early as well & the fact there have been so many family relations like the Flower's, Whittall's , Strang's

Who can forget Eddo Brandes from 92 WC too, the chicken farmer.

Think since re-admission only Dale Benkenstein and Paul Harris have played for SA and been Rhodesian born.

So to rap up, don't think any other Rhodesian/Zimbabwean has played for another international side than the South Africans above, Hick, Ballance and now de Grandhomme ?

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
Not so long ago, Dav Whatmore said they will be like Kenya.

Was just thinking with Zimbabwean born and bred de Grandhomme debuting for New Zealand from a cricketing family along with Ballance in the England set-up from another Zimbabwean cricket family. It was great having a competitive Zimbabwe around. I also read recently how Hilton Cartwright of WA said growing up all he wanted to do was play cricket for Zimbabwe and now it's all changed and very much Australian and in the 'A' side now.

Their history goes back some way. First FC game v Transvaal in 1905 ? I was wanting to total up the amount of Rhodesians that represented South Africa and it looks like it was 10 of them.

Colin Bland
Denis Tomlinson
John Traicos
Tony Pithey
David Pithey
Joe Partridge
Percy Mansell
Goofy Lawrence
Jackie Du Preez
Chris Duckworth

Some other former Rhodesian legends like Duncan Fletcher & Dave Houghton got to play for Zimbabwe. Great interview with Houghton here : Dave Houghton: 'I had opportunities to leave but I didn't want Zimbabwe to go downhill' | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Trevor Penney, Graeme Hick, Kevin Curran (his sons all set to play for England) and Peter Rawson certainly became domestic legends for their teams in England & SA.

Then after that they had the Campbell, Johnson, Goodwin, A + G Flower , G.Whittall, Taylor, Taibu, Streak, Olonga, Price etc The lost S.Ervine too early as well & the fact there have been so many family relations like the Flower's, Whittall's , Strang's

Who can forget Eddo Brandes from 92 WC too, the chicken farmer.

Think since re-admission only Dale Benkenstein and Paul Harris have played for SA and been Rhodesian born.

So to rap up, don't think any other Rhodesian/Zimbabwean has played for another international side than the South Africans above, Hick, Ballance and now de Grandhomme ?
They've also lost Kyle Jarvis and Keegan Meth, permanently it seems.

Solomon Mire is also mentioned every now and then as a guy who could contribute to Zim cricket.

If they could get all their guys back, they would be as strong as they were in the late 1990s I reckon.

SeamUp

International Coach
They've also lost Kyle Jarvis and Keegan Meth, permanently it seems.

Solomon Mire is also mentioned every now and then as a guy who could contribute to Zim cricket.

If they could get all their guys back, they would be as strong as they were in the late 1990s I reckon.
You reckon ? Probably a bit of a push that but at least they would be competitiveish but probably lacking a star or two.

What sort of team we looking at ?

1. Mayowo
2. Mazakadza
3. B. Taylor
4. C.Ervine
5. Williams
6. S.Ervine
7. Moor
8. Cremer
9. Jarvis
10. Mumba
11. Panyangara ? (Not sure where Mpofu, Tiripano and Vitori are these days ? If they ever were anywhere)

The keeper Moor looks a really good addition for them.

I remember they picked Mire for the WC and they unbelievably ditched him. Is he back in Australia ?

Last edited:

morgieb

You reckon ? Probably a bit of a push that but at least they would be competitiveish but probably lacking a star or two.

What sort of team we looking at ?

1. Mayowo
2. Mazakadza
3. B. Taylor
4. C.Ervine
5. Williams
6. S.Ervine
7. Moor
8. Cremer
9. Jarvis
10. Mumba
11. Panyangara ? (Not sure where Mpofu, Tiripano and Vitori are these days ? If they ever were anywhere)

The keeper Moor looks a really good addition for them.

I remember they picked Mire for the WC and they unbelievably ditched him. Is he back in Australia ?
Chatara's still around like Panyangara, both are injured. Could find room for Cartwright (wouldn't count Ballance or de Grandhomme due to recently playing internationals)

Those three are still playing no? They're just not good enough.

SeamUp

International Coach
Chatara's still around like Panyangara, both are injured. Could find room for Cartwright (wouldn't count Ballance or de Grandhomme due to recently playing internationals)

Those three are still playing no? They're just not good enough.
Probably need to find a better seamer. Panyangara started off quite well and had pace but lacked any sort of pressure building. Forgot about Chatara. The little seamer with the odd action who won them the test v Pakistan ?

Some of those players in the 10 above who played for SAF were top players. Would be interesting to do like an all-time XI for them because I can't remember it being done on here and including those guys and even the guys who could have played for them like those 4 guys in the 80's. Peter Rawson was a Natal legend and interestingly I see Houghton say he was probably their best ever seamer although Lawrence, Partridge, Streak, Brandes and Curran would like to have something to say about that.

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
Whoever the bowling coach and analyst is for Pakistan deserves to be commended, they've been excellent this morning.

SeamUp

International Coach
Not looking to good for Zimbabwean cricket at the moment.

Domestic season postponed initially.
Squads picked. Only 7 'white players' with none of the kolpak players involved : zimcricketforums.com ? View topic - Only 7 white players signed in Logan Cup 2016-17
Not signing up u19 talent for the 4 teams. So losing players to University in SA/England/Australia/New Zealand and also losing players to others sports (ie Rugby)

Now some more strikes over non-payment of salaries : Player strike interrupts Logan Cup match | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

SeamUp

International Coach
Recent 'white' Zimbabwean u19 players and where they are :

Peter Moor (25) : Zimbabwe cricket after England (Surrey 2nd XI)
Ryan Burl (21) : Zimbabwe cricket

Kyle Bowie (23) : Australia (Tasmania)
Malcolm Lake (22) : England (Oxford MCCU)
Kieran Geyle (22) : England
Brendan Deplock (21) : South Africa Uni
Gary King (20) : South Africa Uni
Jeremy Ives (20) : Played in the Africa Cup 3 months ago but not contracted !
Ed Byrom (19) : Contracted to Somerset
Richard Lock (19) : England
Shaun Snyder (19) : Australia
Adam Keefe (19) : Ireland
Nick Welch (18) : England (Sussex 2nd XI & MCC Young cricketers)
Brendan Sly (18) : Playing golf full-time
Ryan Murray (18) : South Africa Uni but played Africa T20 Cup 3 months ago and not contracted.
Angus Curtis (18) : Chose to rather sign a 3-year deal with Ulster in rugby union (schooled in South Africa at Hilton College which is same as Tom Curran where as Sam was still in Zimbabwe schooling before leaving for England) Tom and Sam Curran interview: Surrey brothers in arms with world at their feet | City A.M.

Their new batch is quite strong but they will probably all leave :

In recent school weeks in South Africa, Taun Harrison played for Western Province u17s as he is schooling at SACS now (former alma mater of Peter Kirsten) & Michael Frost & Michael Booth played for KZN Inland u15s as they are going to Hilton College like Curtis/Curran above which is the most expensive school to go to in South Africa

Some of the most famous names are:

RA MacLean (SA 1951-1965)
MJ Procter (SA 1966)
JHB Waite (SA 1951-1965)
DW Crookes (SA 1994)

Those schooling in Zimbabwe.

Trent Jayden (18)
Alistair Frost (17)
Liam Roche (17)
Kieran Robinson (17)
Greig Dollar (16)
Jonathan Connolly (16)
Declan Oldrieve (16)

There is no doubt this lot will follow Hilton Cartwright, Colin de Grandhomme, Gary Ballance if they got the opportunity or their Kolpak players like Brendan Taylor, Sean Ervine and Kyle Jarvis.

But if they had everyone available to them where could they potentially be ? Could they push the lower test nations or even be better than them ?

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
I don't think it is long before Zimbabwe domestic loses first class status after this :

LOGAN CUP in doubt

The future of the domestic cricket league is in jeopardy as there is uncertainty on when it will start.

Zimbabwe Cricket has instead urged players to prepare for the Zimbabwe Premier League.

Domestic players protested over unpaid salaries last month causing the interruption of the Logan Cup match between Matabeleland Tuskers and MidWest Rhinos.

The start of the season had been delayed with commencement dates changed three times and when things looked to have gotten normal, players protested.

In an email forwarded to clubs and officials by ZC Game Development and Domestic Cricket manager Caesar Bond Nayoto last week, the debt-ridden and struggling ZC said Logan Cup details will be advised.

“Find attached the Zimbabwe Premier League fixtures for 2017.

“Please circulate to relevant officials. Let us focus on ZPL in the meantime.

“Logan Cup resumption dates will be circulated in due course,” read the email.

The ZPL is a national club competition, which also was interrupted after three rounds.

ZC made changes to the Domestic Season coming up with a nine-month long calendar deserting the usual six months in the name of improving the local game.

But financial constraints have painted a gloomy future of the game.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I cannot believe they beat India and Pakistan in Pakistan, a seemingly full strength Pakistan with Wasim etc.

Scorecard - 1998-1999 Pakistan v Zimbabwe - 1st Test - Peshawar - 27/11/1998

Won them the series, although one match drawn, the other abandoned. I do not know much about this match. Was it a dodgy wicket or were Pakistan going through their usual political/behind-the-scenes problems? Pakistan actually had a first winnings lead but Zimbabwe skittled them out in the second innings.

India was an one test thing in Harare. India had most of their stars also.

Last edited:

vcs

I cannot believe they beat India and Pakistan in Pakistan, a seemingly full strength Pakistan with Wasim etc.

Scorecard - 1998-1999 Pakistan v Zimbabwe - 1st Test - Peshawar - 27/11/1998

Won them the series, although one match drawn, the other abandoned. I do not know much about this match. Was it a dodgy wicket or were Pakistan going through their usual political/behind-the-scenes problems? Pakistan actually had a first winnings lead but Zimbabwe skittled them out in the second innings.

India was an one test thing in Harare. India had most of their stars also.
They drew a series 1-1 against India in 2001 also. I remember that because it was such a massive come-down from beating the mighty Aussies earlier that year.

Sarun

U19 Debutant
Since Afghanistan, Ireland and Scotland all have ODI status, we could see some movements in the bottom of the ODI rankings if those three tour Zimbabwe for the proposed tournament.