• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your favourite and least favourite batting collapses

Bijed

International Regular
I think I'm safe in saying that for the majority of cricket fans the most gut-wrenching thing that can occur during a game, notwithstanding a genuine tragedy, is your side collapsing. Conversely, nothing brings can bring joy to a spectator quite like an opposition collapse (I have been known to literally cackle with joy). So, in all the cricket you have watched over the years, what have been, for you, the worst collapses to endure and most satisfying/wonderful to watch?

My worst:

• Trent Bridge 2005. I know we got there in the end, but watching that run chase was, at points, as nerve-wracking an experience and pretty well anything else I've had
  • Lords 2015, 2nd innings. Just totally spineless all the way down.

My best:

• Trent Bridge 2015. When you're feeling understandably rather nervous about such an important match, blasting out the opposition within a session soon brightens your outlook magnificently
  • The Oval 2009. Deciding ashes test, game could go anywhere, and suddenly the then-unlikely figure of Stuart Broad steps up big-time
  • MCG 2010. Need I say more?

So, all Ashes for me, though that's not a rule for the thread or anything, it's just that I care about Ashes matches above others.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
My favorite is when the opposition collapse, worst is when my own team does (which is very often)

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chester-Le-Street 2013
Trent Bridge 2015
MCG 2010

Any where Ambrose destroyed teams, was something else when in full flow.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Ishant bouncing Eng out at Lords.:laugh:

Jadeja vs Eng in Chennai recently.

Ind vs SA, 2010. Munaf!

Athlai

Not Terrible
Least favourite WC final against Australia.

3-150 to 183 all out.

We were rattled up front for sure, 150 at the 35 over mark still had us very firmly behind in the game, but we had a glimmer of getting a competitive total and we had bowled well all tournament. And then Taylor, Anderson and Ronchi all fall in the space of 7 balls for 1 run and it's all over.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Favourite collapse was England against us during Amazing Adelaide because they squandered such a strong position

Least favourite was us against SL last year when it was like the 3rd collapse in 3 tests. Was shocked it was happening again

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Favourite collapse: It's neck and neck between Australia's 1st and 2nd innings of the Hobart test in 2011. Think the first innings just clinches it because of Ponting's decision to walk before the umpire gave him out for lbw, and the second innings is kinda soured by virtue of the fact that it made Doug Bracewell a semi-regular figure in the test lineup for the next 4 years.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Been lucky enough to be on the right side of a few in recent years but nothing tops MCG 2010. 90k in the ground on the Aussies biggest cricketing day of the year, series square at 1-1 and coming off a big loss in Perth......what happened that day was the sort of **** that dreams are made of. Sen****ingsational.

Trent bridge and Newlands other worthy mentions but pale in comparison to the above.

As for the times Eng are on the wrong end of them.........quickly forgotten so who cares about them.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think I'm safe in saying that for the majority of cricket fans the most gut-wrenching thing that can occur during a game.
Collapses suck as a fan, but for me, letting the tail get away is more gut-wrenching. Generally a collapse has some aspect of awesome bowling involved. Tailender batting and recovering a score sometimes involves good batting, but generally is just woeful bowling plans / captains becoming idiots.

Not to distract from the thread though. One of the worst collapses as an Indian fan was this:

3rd Test: Australia v India at Melbourne, Dec 26-30, 2003 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

First innings went from 1-278 to all out 366. Cost India a first ever series win in Australia. Woeful.

OverratedSanity

Favourites:

-Australia losing 7 in the final session at Kolkata 2001 against Bhajji and Sachin

-England vs ishant

Least favourite :

- Adelaide 2014. Saha you spud :(

- Capetown 2006. 90/2 with an overall lead of 130. Lose 8 wickets for 70 and lose the series. ****ing brutal.

vcs

Favourites:

-Australia losing 7 in the final session at Kolkata 2001 against Bhajji and Sachin

-England vs ishant

Least favourite :

- Adelaide 2014. Saha you spud :(

- Capetown 2006. 90/2 with an overall lead of 130. Lose 8 wickets for 70 and lose the series. ****ing brutal.
Adelaide 2014 was gut-wrenching. :( Don't forget losing 3 in the penultimate over against Clarke in Sydney 2008 after coming so close to saving the game.

If we're including ODIs, World Cup 1996 was probably the worst feeling ever as a fan.

Australia had several collapses against Harbhajan in 2001, all a joy to watch. :)

Daemon

Adelaide 2014 was gut-wrenching. :( Don't forget losing 3 in the penultimate over against Clarke in Sydney 2008 after coming so close to saving the game.

If we're including ODIs, World Cup 1996 was probably the worst feeling ever as a fan.

Australia had several collapses against Harbhajan in 2001, all a joy to watch. :)
Yep, this by far the most heart breaking for me. Anger, frustration, sadness. I've never seen Dravid lose his cool like that before.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Saha sucked in Adelaide but Vijay missing a half tracker on 99 and getting LBW, and Rahane getting jibbed by a **** umpiring decision all caused that collapse. Stinks.