• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your 5 top oneday batsmen for the last 10 overs

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mine .....

Cairns
Afridi
Lara
Razzak
Flintoff

Note: I left the likes of Gilchrist and Sewag as being openers I've seen less of them in the last 10

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'll choose lower order batsman, simply because it's more likely to occur.

Klusener
Cairns
Afridi
Flintoff
Razzaq

Others that could have been chosen (I'm specifically choosing from the middle to lower order) have been Symonds, Yuvraj, Lehmann, Pollock and I've probably forgotten others.

a massive zebra

International Captain
zinzan12 said:
Mine .....

Cairns
Afridi
Razzak
Flintoff
There is a huge difference between being a big hitter and a great batsman. All of the above could hit any bowler in the world with gay abandon on their day, but none could be relied upon to win you a match. I would take Bevan or Tendulkar over all of these any day.

Zinzan

a massive zebra said:
There is a huge difference between being a big hitter and a great batsman. All of the above could hit any bowler in the world with gay abandon on their day, but none could be relied upon to win you a match. I would take Bevan or Tendulkar over all of these any day.
I didn't start this tread intending to simply name great batsmen...The thread was.....5 top batsmen you'd like at the crease for the slog overs(last 10).

And personally in the slog overs i'd prefer the 5 that I previously mentioned.

I probably should have been more specific in that in a tight run-chase I would probably prefer Bevan of Tendulkar.

I was actually referring to a situation where there were wickets in hand and the batting side just needed to put the foot down a blaze as many boundries as possible.

bryce

International Regular
brendon mccullum is the perfect sort of player for the last 10 overs IMO, he can play big shots, is as fast as anyone between wickets, rotates the strike almost at will and above all is great at improvising when required - although he hasn't fully proven himself yet he will do in time

Zinzan

bryce said:
brendon mccullum is the perfect sort of player for the last 10 overs IMO, he can play big shots, is as fast as anyone between wickets, rotates the strike almost at will and above all is great at improvising when required - although he hasn't fully proven himself yet he will do in time
Yes McCullum is very promising, not quite in the Cairns, Afridi category yet. But in a slightly different and often clever way he can do heaps of damage in the last 10.

I personally think McCullum is talented enough to be in the NZ side as a batsmen alone. The fact that he's Keeping well is a big bonus.

Beleg

International Regular
Razzaq
Cairns
Inzamam
Gilchrist
Sehwag

[I haven't seen enough of Flintoff to put him in that category]

And of course Klusner at him pomp dwarfed all others.

Team I'd want to be in the last 10 overs: Pakistan if we are playing the combination of Razzaq, Mahmood, Malik and Moin.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Andre Adams
Afridi
Flintoff
Kyle Mills (:D)
Dwayne Smith
Lance Klusener

Six, but they all deserved the mention.

Last edited:

Beleg

International Regular
I can't quite see this favour of Afridi. I wonder how many people would have put him in their top five if it weren't for his exaggerated style and the recent trashing.

He averages 15 at No 6, 25 at No 5, 14 at No 7 and 20 at no 8. [20 mainly due to his recent inning] with only two fifties in over 40 matches.

Compare this to Razzaq, who averages 30 of 44 matches with 1 hundred and 3 fifties at No 6, 33 at number seven from fifty-nine matches [many fifties], and 45 from 19 matches at number 8.

Zinzan

Beleg said:
I can't quite see this favour of Afridi. I wonder how many people would have put him in their top five if it weren't for his exaggerated style and the recent trashing.

He averages 15 at No 6, 25 at No 5, 14 at No 7 and 20 at no 8. [20 mainly due to his recent inning] with only two fifties in over 40 matches.

Compare this to Razzaq, who averages 30 of 44 matches with 1 hundred and 3 fifties at No 6, 33 at number seven from fifty-nine matches [many fifties], and 45 from 19 matches at number 8.
Good point. Can't deny that Afridi is incredible unrealiable. However I select Afridi along with my other choices on the assumption that they would be firing and on top of their form. Even if that is 1 out of 20 innings for Afridi.
I certainly not talking about the most consistant batsmen, or batsmen that I'd want batting for my life.

If I had a fantasy game, I suppose it would be something like Gilchrist, Sewag and Ponting at the top batting for the first 20 overs, the likes of Lara, tendulkar and Kallis taking the next 20....and then the likes of Cairns, Afridi and Flintoff and co finishing the job in the last ten.

Now it that all clicked together....You could have a 400 score...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The only reason people would tend towards Afridi is because of his strike rate. But Razzaq has a good strike rate and is far more consistent. Much better in the lower order.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
The only reason people would tend towards Afridi is because of his strike rate. But Razzaq has a good strike rate and is far more consistent. Much better in the lower order.
Yes.

And also we must not assume that easy bowling will be available. If we have to chose the best they should be able to produce strokes against the best including the fastest bowling including short pitched and vicious. Thats why I have left out Afridi and Ganguly who need to get onto the front foot to be effective which may not be allowed by the bowler.

Zinzan

Pratyush said:
To make the point again. I wasn't referring to how consistent or inconsistent Afridi is. I merely raised a hypothetical situation where if I had the choice to see any world batsmen at their absolute best(no matter how rear it may be for afridi) batting out the slog overs of a onedayer, then Afridi one of my top 5.

I did include Razzaq in that group as well

PAKMAN

State 12th Man
in his recent innings he just rocked back and smashed one of the best bowling attack over the cover for six,the best one in my opinion was the one he moved back and hit lee over cover for a brilliant six,i mean the shots he comes up with are just amazing ,anyway my list is

flintoff
Cairns
Abdul razzaq
afridi
klusner