• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Young English Players

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Bazzaroodoo
Including Nicky Peng, Ian Bell, Steve Kirby, etc, etc.

Wasn't Sales the youngest player to ever score a 300 in FC cricket? I'm sure I heard that somewhere...
Yup...303*...shame he's scored bugger all since.

Go_India

School Boy/Girl Captain
i think england should really give attention to the young players otherwise i can't see any future for the english team.:lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Go_India
i think england should really give attention to the young players otherwise i can't see any future for the english team.:lol:
Well to be fair I can't see much of a future for an Indian pace attack either, the only one I think will stay is Zhan and he still won't be the strike bowler they need I feel.

Go_India

School Boy/Girl Captain
now theres no gough that you have.Now who can you bring instead.....i think you should bring back Mulaly or roni irane should open the attack :lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
now theres no gough that you have.Now who can you bring instead.....i think you should bring back Mulaly or roni irane should open the attack :lol:
Its MULLALLY and RONNIE IRANI. Anyway whats so bad about Irani? He destroyed India didn't he? I don't think you should try and make fun of someone who took 5 wickets and a 50 against India. Also Irani opens the bowling for his county side, Essex, so I'm sure he would be fine opening the bowling. Anyway...I wish you would speak some sense, it really doesn't seem like you have a clue about English Cricket.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
This is rapidly heading towards a cul-de-sac we've been to before. Keep to Young English players, and not India.

Or it's getting closed in the same way as the other threads.

wahindiawah

Banned
They should really give attention towards the Players HEALTH, i mean every second English bowler is down and out with injury.No matter how good you are, if you aren't fit then you are useless!!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by wahindiawah
They should really give attention towards the Players HEALTH, i mean every second English bowler is down and out with injury.No matter how good you are, if you aren't fit then you are useless!!
I agree it wasn't the best idea to bring Gough along but it game the team some hope. As for the other bowlers...Flintoff is an all-rounder and took a long time to get fit again, mutch longer than expected as he hurt himself again in the 1st FC game of the tour...and Jones had a freak accident knock him out of the tour. Most of the injuries sustained by English bowlers are wear and tear ones though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The two teams who seem somewhat immune to injury are Australia and South Africa....far and away the two best sides in the world.

Food for thought.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
The two teams who seem somewhat immune to injury are Australia and South Africa....far and away the two best sides in the world.

Food for thought.
Errrm young players guys...please keep it to young players...

Anyway saying Australia and South Africa are immune is not true, Brett Lee was injured not so long ago and Shaun Pollock was out of the Series with Australia due to injury and remember Donald retired after the 1st Test of that series after sustaining a nasty injury...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Those are a few incidents and strangely they have all happened within just over a year. Generally however, injuries are few and far between....especially compared to other teams like WI and Eng!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
Those are a few incidents and strangely they have all happened within just over a year. Generally however, injuries are few and far between....especially compared to other teams like WI and Eng!
Ok admittedly both the teams you have mentioned have had very bad injury problems but lets keep this thread to thoughts on young English players. I'll set up a thread for Injuries.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, how I love this sort of thread.
Everyone is going on about Australia's young players so I think its about time everyone heard of the less known young talent England have at their disposal. And not a mention of Rob Key, Simon Jones, Steve Harmison, Richard Dawson or Jamie Foster :D:lol:
Dear oh dear, Dawson and Harmison. Not at all up to your usual standard. At least you revised on Harmison not long after.
Ian Bell (Warwickshire) - Showed what he could do in his 1st season but had one of "those" seasons but will be back. A very impressive England U-19 and ECB Academy player, you can't doubt his class.
No, you can't.
Owais Shah (Middlesex) - Has scored 1000+ runs for the last 2 seasons, averaged 41 2 years ago after a late slump but averaged nearer 50 this year...also did rather well on his debut against Australia when batting with Ben Hollioke in which they added 70 odd in 6-7 overs at the end of the innings.
And 5 years later he still can't get in the side. :(
Michael Powell (Glamorgan) - A very talented batsman who is starting to score consistantly again.
Disappeared, probably for good sadly.
Vikram Solanki (Worcestershire) - A very wristy, stylish batsman who bowls useful Offspin and who like Powell is scoring consistantly again. Has played ODIs before but the longer version of the game is more suited to his game.
Never quite achieved the consistency to push for a Test place.
Kabir Ali (Worcestershire) - A fast improving bowling all-rounder with noteable bowling and batting performances to his name, has won several games with his bowling.
Never quite had the chances some have enjoyed, but hasn't exactly bashed the door down either.
Jamie Troughton (Warwickshire) - Scored 1000+ runs in his 1st season and was allways agressive and willing to attack. Looks a fine prospect.
Still have a modicum of hope for him, but being pitchforked into the wrong form of the game did not help him at all.
Jimmy Anderson (Lancashire) - 50+ wickets in his 1st full season and has speed to burn.
Dear oh dear.
Andy Pratt (Durham) - A bit old to be called a "youngster" but one of the best wicket-keepers you'll ever see even if his batting isn't nearly as consistant"
:laugh: By your standards, a horrible gaffe. Especially given the man who replaced him is currently being the next Matthew Prior.
Kyle Hogg (Lancashire) - Grandson of Sonny Ramadhin, he showed his class this year for both Lancashire and England U-19's although without specatular figures. Scored a Century for England U-19's against India in one of the OD games to show that he is more than just a bowler.
Might turn-out to be a decent one-day bowler at county level, but that's it.
Andrew Strauss (Middlesex) - Impressive as both batsman and captain of Middlesex and led them into Division 1 of the County Championship.
Interesting how he mostly seemed to come from, not exactly nowhere, but to exceed most expectations.
David Nash (Middlesex) - Steady wicket-keeper and averaged over 40 this season in FC cricket.
Worse wicketkeepers and batsmen have played ahead of him, several of them.
Ed Joyce (Middlesex) - The Irish Left-Hander was a rock for Middlesex this year and although he will take a few years to Qualify for England he is only 24 and is committed to playing for England.
Still very much an open door for him.
Rikki Clarke (Surrey) - More than surpassed himself in plugging the hole left by Ben Hollioke's tragic death although he looks much more of a batsman who bowls than an all-rounder.
Likewise.
Scott Newman (Surrey) - Impressive in his 3 games for Surrey this season averaging 61 whilst opening the innings and looking a very fine young player in a squad brimming with talent.
Likewise. Continues to put in the performances.
Rob White (Northamptonshire) - The young opener scored 277 on his FC debut and averaged 59 in 6 games to plug the hole left by Mike Hussey when he left to play for the Australia A team near the end of the season.
Not quite our Hussey, sadly, but I never though much of him myself.
Chris Schofield (Lancashire) - Averaged 32.5 with the bat and 18 with the ball, how many young players can claim that? Showing a lot of talent with the bat for a player originally picked because of his bowling and scored a 50 in only his 2nd test.
Gooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeee.
Tim Ambrose and Matt Prior (Sussex) - Both impressed in their 1st full seasons and although Prior is the better keeper (reportedly one of the best in the country standing up to the seamers), Ambrose is the better bat and not far behind as a keeper.
:laugh: That's a really good one! Ambrose >> Prior with bat, and beyond all question with gloves. And hopefully it might be second time lucky.
Jamie Dalrymple (Middlesex) - Has impressed with the bat more than the ball lately but is considered a very fine young Off-spinner and his accuracy in OD games, in which he has a strike rate of 34.5, has helped win several games. In a squad containing Phil Tufnell he has suffered from a lack of oppertunities.
Went OK for a time, but don't see him getting another go. Wasn't really given a fair crack either, sadly.
Mark Wallace (Glamorgan) - A very impressive young keeper who has also shown a lot of fight with the bat and played quite a few match-winning and match-saving innings. Has shown maturity past his years and has captained the ECB academy with Ian Bell as well as the England U-19 side in which he also shared the job with Bell.
Always got a bit more chat than he deserved, for mine. Amazingly, though, he's still only 26, the same age Geraint Jones was when he had his breakthrough year.
Well there you go! Sorta makes that Aussie headline "Is there anyone in England who can play cricket?" seem a bit optimistic.
They're a patronising bunch, those Aussies. :dry: (Hey, that smiley didn't even exist at the time this thread up to now was posted in)
[Edited on 13/11/2002 by Rik][/QUOTE]
Edited, hey, sneaky.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I say - because stuff like this is always quite funny. And I think Rik, as often, got a fair few pretty spot-on, as well as the odd one badly wrong.

Flem274*

123/5
Looks like the sorta thread I'd make about NZers

How come some of those blokes are still doing perfectly fine but aren't getting a chance?