• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yasir, Ashwin and Herath

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Again, Sehwag is different because of how he dominates. There are lots of spinners with comparable home records as Ashwin. Sehwag is utterly unique in terms of his SR and ability to get humongous scores.

And Swann did win England a series in SL, you know.

Edit: I was wrong, thought they won 2012, but it was 1-1
I am not at home now but I am pretty sure his stats are peerless as far as home conditions are concerned. Will post in more detail when I get home.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Performing away from home is the exception, not the rule. I wouldn't mind if Ashwin became a player like Samaraweera tbh. Picked for home games but dropped for the away games. He would be so dominant and might even extend his career to his late 30s/early 40s.

viriya

International Captain
that's because the latter is more common and therefore more replaceable.

If you perform at home it's more likely that performance could have been made up for by your team mates or by someone else. Away, less so.
Being dominant at home is not common. At least not at the level of an Ashwin or a Mahela.

viriya

International Captain
Again, Sehwag is different because of how he dominates. There are lots of spinners with comparable home records as Ashwin. Sehwag is utterly unique in terms of his SR and ability to get humongous scores.

And Swann did win England a series in SL, you know.

Edit: I was wrong, thought they won 2012, but it was 1-1
There are no spinners with comparable home records to Ashwin.. and it's not even close. Not even Murali.

Blocky

Banned
There is also nothing comparable to the types of pitches being prepared for the current Indian spinners where you're seeing them open in many instances with spin.

Ignoring the fact that India is a freaking beautiful place if you happen to be a spin bowler is wrong.

viriya

International Captain
There is also nothing comparable to the types of pitches being prepared for the current Indian spinners where you're seeing them open in many instances with spin.

Ignoring the fact that India is a freaking beautiful place if you happen to be a spin bowler is wrong.
Then why exactly are other spinners not dominating in India like Ashwin?

viriya

International Captain
Jadeja has 67 wickets @ 19 at home.
Yea but that's ignoring wkts/mat. Since 2013 Ashwin averages 7 wpm to Jadeja's 5 at the same average and SR 10 balls better. There's a big difference there. Dominant vs very good.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The fact that a frankly fairly average but accurate spin bowler is getting figures like Jadeja's shows how much in favour of spinners these pitches are, can you not see that?

cnerd123

likes this
The fact that a frankly fairly average but accurate spin bowler is getting figures like Jadeja's shows how much in favour of spinners these pitches are, can you not see that?
Find me one other spinner that bowls at the pace Jadeja does and gets the same amount of revs on the ball.

Closest I've seen is Moeen and he has nowhere near the accuracy of Jadeja. People really sleep on Jaddu. He's not great but he's definitely not average. He's a unique bowler who is extremely skilled at bowling in the conditions he is often presented with at home.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Find me one other spinner that bowls at the pace Jadeja does and gets the same amount of revs on the ball.

Closest I've seen is Moeen and he has nowhere near the accuracy of Jadeja. People really sleep on Jaddu. He's not great but he's definitely not average. He's a unique bowler who is extremely skilled at bowling in the conditions he is often presented with at home.
Panesar did what Jaddu did, IMO

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And lasting power. Panesar couldn't stay on the course long enough. No doubting his credentials as a SLA spinner here in these conditions, I am sure.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Abdur Rehman and Zulfiqar Babar would probably have similar records to Jadeja if given the same opportunities imo. Ojha was doing it too before he got banned, but I guess he doesn't count.

flibbertyjibber

And lasting power. Panesar couldn't stay on the course long enough. No doubting his credentials as a SLA spinner here in these conditions, I am sure.
167 wickets in a 50 test match career is not too shabby. Hardly a case of not lasting long enough when we had Swann in the side for a long period.

vcs

Abdur Rehman and Zulfiqar Babar would probably have similar records to Jadeja if given the same opportunities imo. Ojha was doing it too before he got banned, but I guess he doesn't count.
Ojha wasn't as good as Jadeja. In his defence though, pitches were slightly flatter in his time.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Ojha wasn't as good as Jadeja. In his defence though, pitches were slightly flatter in his time.
Bowled a very different pace. Abdur Rehman is a good comparison.

Panesar would have been as good if not better if he had access to Indian conditions the whole time - I think a lot of Jadeja's most dangerous balls are just stock balls that don't turn, rather than his actual slider.