• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yasir, Ashwin and Herath

Xuhaib

International Coach
Are they really that good or they are just padding up their stats by playing in the weakest era of batting against spin. I for one can't stomach how Dilruwan Perrera can have a 10 fer vs the # 1 ranked team in the world while Jadeja can achieve a sub 25 bowling average.

So is this a case ofsudden influx of very good spinners, more spin friendly tracks or just general ****e batting vs spin?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think they're all pretty good, in conditions that suit, and generally deserve their stats

Gob

International Coach
I think the wickets in the sub continent seems to spin more than it used to in the 00s. Not that there's anything wrong with it

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
without resorting to meme Herath, he really is a very good bowler and pretty much ticks every box in terms of things you want a finger spinner to do.

- probably the best arm ball the world has ever seen
- flights the ball
- gets drift and dip
- spins the ball
- extremely accurate

If we're upset that all of that works...well that's a bit like getting annoyed that a perfect outswinger from Steyn takes wickets.

OTOH, I can to some degree sympathise with being annoyed at Jadeja's success. I think with Jadeja he's not know to be able to flight the ball and create confusion in terms of length - thus he uses the inherent variety in the pitch than his ability to deceive a batsman. He's still extremely accurate and is skillful in his own right. But it's sorta the equivalent of Doug Bracewell taking wickets on a green seamer.

Daemon

I don't think you can argue against Herath and Ashwin benefitting from some pretty spin friendly tracks and some poor batting against spin. They don't have many standout away performances either.

That said, they are still really far ahead of most when it comes to bowling on those sort of wickets.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Herath is an excellent bowler. No two ways about that. Yes the younger batsmen today and that goes for the CW beloved fab 4 are not as great at playing spin as the Fab 3 (Tendulkar, Lara, Sanga :p)
But the two best players of spin bowling today are Younis and Misbah and both of them have the greatest respect for Herath. I remember I first saw Herath back in the 09 Galle test when he destroyed Pakistan who were chasing 117 and I thought it was Pakistan being Pakistan. But over the years, having read what Misbah and YK have to say about him, my respect for him has only grown. If they tell you that someone is difficult, he is.

As far as Ashwin and Yasir are concerned, I do believe they are quality spin bowlers who just need a few years in test cricket (especially Yasir) to learn, develop and demonstrate their skills and quality across a range of conditions against a range of opposition.

viriya

International Captain
Are they really that good or they are just padding up their stats by playing in the weakest era of batting against spin. I for one can't stomach how Dilruwan Perrera can have a 10 fer vs the # 1 ranked team in the world while Jadeja can achieve a sub 25 bowling average.

So is this a case ofsudden influx of very good spinners, more spin friendly tracks or just general ****e batting vs spin?
I think this era is definitely weaker vs spin compared to the 2000s. Aus and Ind in the late 90s and 2000s were a nightmare for spinners. There is no such team anymore.

These three are still great though.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I still can't believe how Dilruwan has a test 10fer vs Aus the guy looked even less threatening then Hafeez during our matches.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The DRS is obviously a big help for the spinners these days, and I agree with the fact that was earlier raised that the subcontinent wickets are more bowler friendly than the previous decade.

OverratedSanity

OP ws a bit harsh when it comes to current batting vs spin imo.

Australia and India are obviously worse, but just looking at the teams (current and recent past) it's impressive

- Pakistan have Misbah, Younis, Sarfraz, Shafiq who are all pretty beastly players of spin. Imo, purely against spin, they're a better lineup right now than what they had 10 years ago. Mainly because all of them have peaked together.

- For NZ< Williamson is incredible. Taylor is pretty great when he gets set, McCullum in the mood is ridiculous, and I rate Watling and Latham's play vs spin as well. Much better than the previous gen bar Fleming imo.

- Cook, KP, Root are three of the best players of spin England have ever produced.

I think we're overreacting because of a couple of shocking displays against spin recently ( Australia every time they come to Asia, and SA in India last year). There were some terrible displays vs spin in the previous generation as well. Just not by the big guns like Australia.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
It's simple really. Follow the old 'take the minnows out' policy because they mess up the stats. Just take out India and Australia and you won't have to worry about Dilruwan Perera, Jadeja and Harmer getting wickets :ph34r:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I still can't believe how Dilruwan has a test 10fer vs Aus the guy looked even less threatening then Hafeez during our matches.
He is a very good spinner. Probably whom you remember is PHT Kaushal spraying it around like Peter North. Even in his first series against Pakistan, he bowled very well. Classical spinner and drift it a plenty. He is a pretty decent batsman too, who can average 25-30. An dif Pakistan had him, would be the second spinner dead set, due to his batting and fielding.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I don't think you can argue against Herath and Ashwin benefitting from some pretty spin friendly tracks and some poor batting against spin. They don't have many standout away performances either.
How many bowlers really win games in conditions that don't suit their bowling tho? Especially finger spinners?

This needs to be two separate discussions I reckon. If you are looking for greatest bowlers of all time, then I think overall it would be fast bowlers and wrist spinners topping that list, because those styles of bowling are useful in a wider range of conditions.

But if you want to narrow it down to finger-spinners, then as Hendrix has mentioned, there really isn't anything more you can ask of bowlers like Herath and Ashwin. They check all the boxes. The fact that they are still not very effective outside of certain conditions is just down to the limitations of the way they bowl IMO. And it would be fair to say they aren't as great as the great bowlers of all time, but I think it's also fair to say they rank right up there with the great finger-spinners of all time too.