• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

wtf just happened to cricinfo

Spark

Global Moderator
So Dobell has left/been fired from Cricinfo.

Don't need to remind anyone how much I dislike his writing in general, but it seems that he's leaving because of "differences in journalistic/editorial direction" which is pretty ominous. Expect cricinfo coverage to be even more corporate and sycophantic from now on.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So Dobell has left/been fired from Cricinfo.

Don't need to remind anyone how much I dislike his writing in general, but it seems that he's leaving because of "differences in journalistic/editorial direction" which is pretty ominous. Expect cricinfo coverage to be even more corporate and sycophantic from now on.
They have been editorially and completely biased for the best part of 7/8 years now and have had very clear agendas for a while even before that. Dobell is basically moving out now coz the agenda is now something he does not agree with, whilst before, their bias probably suited his. It is not because they had any actual integrity before this. :laugh:

Shri

Mr. Glass
They have been editorial for the best part of 7/8 years now and have very clear agendas for a while. Dobell is basically moving out now coz the agenda is now something he does not agree with, whilst before, their bias probably suited his. It is not because they had any actual integrity before this. :laugh:
what agenda before and what agenda now lol

Spark

Global Moderator
They have been editorially and completely biased for the best part of 7/8 years now and have had very clear agendas for a while even before that. Dobell is basically moving out now coz the agenda is now something he does not agree with, whilst before, their bias probably suited his. It is not because they had any actual integrity before this. :laugh:
As I said I don't like Dobell and his agenda but there's a very big difference between an individual journalist having a clear bias and agenda and a publication as a whole having one when it claims to be the pinnacle global outlet for cricket coverage and journalism. You can always just hire other journalists with different opinions; it's not as if covering English cricket is a one-man job.

For all his faults he has been pretty consistent that the ECB and global cricket's move to a more stagnant, more money-driven, more corporate and more soulless model has been a bad thing. It's hard to imagine what else he means by editorial direction no longer suiting him; it's even more concerning if he's being actively driven out because he objects to a more sycophantic line. You don't have to like the individual journalist to know that media orgs acting in this way isn't a great sign.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
there's a very big difference between an individual journalist having a clear bias and agenda and a publication as a whole having one when it claims to be the pinnacle global outlet for cricket coverage and journalism.
My point is that crapinfo has been this way since about 2013 or so IMO. And he has a problem with it now because suddenly the direction that bias has gone is not the same as his own. That is all. I am not denying it is bad. I just dont think he is some kind of martyr who has quit coz of principles.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As I said I don't like Dobell and his agenda but there's a very big difference between an individual journalist having a clear bias and agenda and a publication as a whole having one when it claims to be the pinnacle global outlet for cricket coverage and journalism. You can always just hire other journalists with different opinions; it's not as if covering English cricket is a one-man job.

For all his faults he has been pretty consistent that the ECB and global cricket's move to a more stagnant, more money-driven, more corporate and more soulless model has been a bad thing. It's hard to imagine what else he means by editorial direction no longer suiting him; it's even more concerning if he's being actively driven out because he objects to a more sycophantic line. You don't have to like the individual journalist to know that media orgs acting in this way isn't a great sign.
Yeah it's the first time I've ever seen it openly admitted that there even is an editorial direction from cricinfo. It has always just presented itself more as a collection of writers with their own autonomy than a publication with a hard editorial line. Belieiving this was entirely true was always a little naive, but the mask seems to have slipped entirely now.

@GoodAreasShane once described Dobell as a "sycophantic little turd". I thought "sanctimonious" may have fit better, but the ending of that phrase was certainly correct, so I'm not sad to see him go. His stated reasons are more than a little bit concerning though.

Flem274*

123/5
I think it's been pretty evident for years that cricinfo plays favourites, but if someone as dire as Dobell can't handle it anymore then I can't wait to see how bad cricinfo dives in the coming months.

I guess they have their market and they're gonna cater to it.

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
George Dobell's snark and a spot of virtue signalling is pretty interesting. Implying that he alone stood between real reportage and the corporate/Indian slant of the editorial team at Cricinfo. Would be nice to hear how his colleagues feel about that.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They’re probably like Michael Holding when commentating in England over the years - they know which side their bread is buttered on.

cricinfo is terrible. Has been forever. Dobell is a spud writer too, just he has a tosspot Pommy accident to go with it instead of being a BCCI lackey like most of the others are.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I noticed there is an option to change crap info to Hindi language.

I’m waiting for when many other options for languages comes up.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Amongst the cricinfo staff it was always a close race between Dobell and Andrew Miller for rampantly biased **** takes (I still remember the time Miller implied that Graeme Swann could be as great Shane Warne). I wonder if Dobell's departure has anything to do with his constant whinging about the Hundred (the success of which he compared to the Taliban's takeover of Afghanistan :wacko:).

Spark

Global Moderator
Amongst the cricinfo staff it was always a close race between Dobell and Andrew Miller for rampantly biased **** takes (I still remember the time Miller implied that Graeme Swann could be as great Shane Warne). I wonder if Dobell's departure has anything to do with his constant whinging about the Hundred (the success of which he compared to the Taliban's takeover of Afghanistan :wacko:).
This is my suspicion too

ataraxia

International Coach
Hear me out – cricinfo have, presumably accidentally, made a good change. I think that previously a player's last matches could only be seen for recent players, but now it's available for all. What was already a very interesting feature has become better.

... unfortunately, the list only includes tests and FC matches of importance that happen to have been uploaded onto the main cricinfo site, and not all the county matches etc. available through static.cricinfo. Sad tstl.