• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Jacques Kallis and Imran Khan get more respect if they weren't all-rounders?

Jassy

Banned
Anyway enough Sanga now from my side or I might get banned :p we'll talk after the series in England. Sanga has been in great form smashing Shakib and co for triple hundreds so he has no excuse.

viriya

International Captain
His WI record is no more 'deceiving' than his record in Aus where a 195 on a dead wicket boosts his average. At the end of the day, you can make as many excuses as you want and spin it however you want - he averages in the 30s in 4 countries. None of the truly great batsman have such records in as many countries...2 is the most you'll find and blokes like Tendulkar average 40+.
The 192 that Ian Chappell called the best innings by an overseas batsman in Aus he has seen since Lara's 277? ok..

I explained why his 30s in 4 countries was irrelevant in detail but since that is "spin" I will stop trying to have a discussion here.

Last edited:

Jassy

Banned
Yes because Ian Chappell's words are gospel. Think he also called Sehwag one of the best ever or something along those lines. Probably has a liking for FTBs :ph34r:

anyway, let's continue after the England series. Back to Kallis and Imran now.

viriya

International Captain
Yes because Ian Chappell's words are gospel. Think he also called Sehwag one of the best ever or something along those lines. Probably has a liking for FTBs :ph34r:
Of course Sehwag is one of the ATG (not in the same vein as Lara, Tendulkar etc, but as a revolutionary batsman).. the highest strike rate in the history of Test cricket of batsmen with >2000 test runs, with a ~50 average as opener. He changed Test opening - David Warner got the confidence that he could open in Tests after advice from Sehwag when they were playing together in the IPL. He obviously didn't do well vs the swinging ball - but in favorable conditions no one dominated like he did.

Not to mention 3 of the 4 fastest 200s of all-time, the fastest 300 of all-time..

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I expected the Sanga hate but didn't expect denigration of the 192. That was as glorious an innings as any played in Australia.

****ing Rudi

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Yes because Ian Chappell's words are gospel. Think he also called Sehwag one of the best ever or something along those lines..
Chappell's words aren't gospel, but he is a pretty astute observer, and he's not prone to hyperbole generally.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
And I don't think it's relevant that Kallis would be in India's top 5 pace bowlers ever, really. Harbhajan or Kumble would probably be South Africa's greatest ever spinner; doesn't mean much tbh.
Murali Kartik would probably be South Africa's greatest ever spinner.
Sad Hugh Tayfield is sad.

About Miller, genuine question... how strong were the west indies in his time? He got 4 out of his 7 hundreds and a big chunk of his wickets against them. Bit of a minnow basher if they weren't a good team, really. :ph34r:
A superb batting team, so his bowling record against them is excellent. Their pace attack wasn't so strong, though Ramadhin and Valentine were a wonderful spin bowling combination. They beat England in England in 1950 (hence their 51/52 tour of Australia being billed as an unofficial World Championship), and drew with England in the Caribbean in 1954. Overall, they were comfortably the second strongest opposition that Miller faced in those times.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sad Hugh Tayfield is sad.
Haha I probably rate him higher than anyone on the forum save you and possibly Fred. I couldn't resist though. South Africa have a terrible history of spin bowling. Kartik would have a genuine, non-me-taking-the-piss case for being the best since Tayfield if he was South African. Which is what would make Tayfield most sad of all.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chappell is a strange one. He can be great to listen to at times, but he also inexplicably plunges astonishing depths of stupidity.

Worst Chappell moment in the combox has to be the Blewett lbw to Mushtaq. He was so dumb that day it made me physically ill

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
About Miller, genuine question... how strong were the west indies in his time? He got 4 out of his 7 hundreds and a big chunk of his wickets against them. Bit of a minnow basher if they weren't a good team, really. :ph34r:
He got most of the runs vs them in the W.I at a time when the pitches were honestly pancake flat and Ramdin and Valentine were unfortunately overworked by that time and way past their collective best. He bowled well against us in Australia where he and Lindwall bowled leg theory while targeting Weekes in particular.

Miller was a great all rounder but unfortunately like Botham neither an ATG batsman or bowler. His bolwing average was great, but his WPM and s/r and percentage of 5 wickets hauls were just a touch below that level and he mainly just bowled short spurts with the new ball. Again great all rounder though.

watson

Banned
Re Chappell - Too much 'Confirmation Bias' going on here.

"I've heard Chappell make a stupid comment before, therefore all comments made by Chappell are stupid."