• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Test Team Ever

Worst Test Team Ever

• Australia 1986

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • England 1990's

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • West Indies 2004

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Zimbabwe 2004

Votes: 34 85.0%

• Total voters

Swervy

International Captain
Camel56 said:
What about the bangladesh side? Or the original Sri Lankan side? Surely they were right up there witht he worst.
From an Australian point of view though, our side of the mid 80s was pretty ordinary.
yeah Australia in 85 was dire.
England in 99 wasnt as bad I dont think but pretty close
some of those England teams (despite some really great players) in the 80's were just spineless
As for Sri lanka, I always was of the opinion that they actually got worse as a team the closer to 1990/91 ish time went. They had some decent batsman in the early to mid 80's and then the talent seemed to go...obviously a few years later they got what they were looking for , a real game breaker in Murali, and they havent really looked back since

Hoggy31

International Captain
Yeah Zimbabwe have got some good young talent with the likes of Prosper Utseya, Stuart Matsinkenyeri, Brendan Taylor, Tatenda Taibu and Tinashe Payangara.

and my cricket team are pretty shocking - played 5, lost 5 this year.

Last edited:

Marcus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
its got to be Zimbarbwe for the fact i cant find any promise in the team..apart from Taibu.....at least the other reams had players and some prospects.....the Zimbarbwe team has none of these due to the ZCU........but thats another issue...the fact they lost to Bangladesh is just shows the weekness of the current side!!!!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
a massive zebra said:
Are the current Bangladesh and Zimbabwe teams any better?
Probably not. And they shouldn't be playing Test-cricket in the current day and age.
Ever heard of Learie Constantine, Manny Martindale, Clifford Roach, George Challenor?
The first 2 (and Martindale that's all I've heard - his name).

a massive zebra

International Captain
Richard said:
Probably not. And they shouldn't be playing Test-cricket in the current day and age.

The first 2 (and Martindale that's all I've heard - his name).
http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1920S/1929-30/ENG_IN_WI/ENG_WI_T3_21-26FEB1930.html

George Challenor visited England three times and excelled for the team which came in 1923, scoring 1,556 runs—more than twice as many as anyone else in the side obtained—average 51.86, with eight three-figure innings, the highest being 155 not out against Surrey at The Oval. With 66 out of 121, which gave his side victory by ten wickets, Challenor made his match aggregate 221 without being dismissed; his batting in each innings was brilliant. Generally he was regarded as reaching the standard set by the best English batsmen that season, only Hendren and Mead returning higher averages.

12th Man

U19 12th Man
Current west indies no doubt. Surprising because their one day team isn't as bad. Like the new zealnders really.

They have a lot of runs on the tins