• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Test match Pacer of all time!

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Scott muller was quite a decent pacer. Unlucky like kasprowicz that the allpowerful aussie bowling attack never let him settle down.

Agarkar has to be the winner...no contest. Lets talk abt the second worst.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Madan Lal has won a few matches for India by his bowling and so I wouldn't rate him below Agarkar by any means.

How about Paul Jarvis of England ?

Lal was an allrounder, and before Ajit's lover start screaming that he's one too, i must add that he isn't, just one century means nothing.

Ajit gotta be the worst ever.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'd rate Agarkar above Jarvis because he's failed repeatedly. Erm, have Bangladesh got any 'quicks'?

Müller just had the huge fallout with Warne over the "Can't Bowl, Can't Throw"/"Cameraman can't-remember-his-name-at-the-minute (Pete?)" episode..

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
As someone who saw Madan Lal quite a bit in his early days, I can confirm that he wasn't blessed with a great amount of talent, but he flogged his guts out - and that counts for a lot.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
As someone who saw Madan Lal quite a bit in his early days, I can confirm that he wasn't blessed with a great amount of talent, but he flogged his guts out - and that counts for a lot.
Completely agree with you there....Madan Lal didn't have much in him as far as talent goes, but he gave it all even towards the end of his career.I still remember his inspired performance at Leeds in 1986.Agarkar doesn't have any of that fire in the belly.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
I'd rate Agarkar above Jarvis because he's failed repeatedly. Erm, have Bangladesh got any 'quicks'?
Not that I'd argue with you on this a lot, but I don't remember a time when Jarvis was a success either..... :D

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Guys stop bickering over agarkar..

He is like schumacher,jordan , sampras et.al...he towers over all the crap bowlers as the crappiest one.. :(!

Pick the next worst...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Jarvis only ever got nine tests.

His longest run in the side was four, and these were all played whilst England were getting thumped, repeatedly. (NZ 87-8, WI 88, Aus 89, India/SL 92-3)

He did alright in ODIs however - 24 @ 28.00 with 5/35 at Bangalore in February 93 his peak.

He didn't get carted when his team were on top/equally matched in matches - he didn't play in one...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Found Him :D

Mohammad Hasibul Hossain
Born: 3 June 1977, Baralekha, Moulavibazar, Sylhet
Major Teams: Sylhet Division, Bangladesh.
Known As: Hasibul Hossain
Also Known As: Shanto
Batting Style: Right Hand Bat
Bowling Style: Right Arm Fast Medium

Matches 5
Overs 130
Maidens 23
Runs 571
Wickets 6
Average 95.17
BBI 2-125
SR 130.0
Econ 4.39

Beat That!

Rich2001

International Captain
A intresting debate here, i thought i would check cricinfo's records and the following conceded over 200 runs in a INNINGS

1-298 LO Fleetwood-Smith Australia v England The Oval 1938
1-276 RK Chauhan India v Sri Lanka Colombo (RPS) 1997/98
5-266 OC Scott West Indies v England Kingston 1929/30
0-259 Khan Mohammad Pakistan v West Indies Kingston 1957/58
2-247 Fazal Mahmood Pakistan v West Indies Kingston 1957/58
1-229 SL Boock New Zealand v Pakistan Auckland 1988/89
5-228 MH Mankad India v West Indies Kingston 1952/53
6-226 BS Bedi India v England Lord's 1974
2-224 M Muralitharan Sri Lanka v Australia Perth 1995/96
1-223 A Kumble India v Sri Lanka Colombo (RPS) 1997/98
7-220 N Kapil Dev India v Pakistan Faisalabad 1982/83
3-217 IT Botham England v Pakistan The Oval 1987
5-212 PA Strang Zimbabwe v Pakistan Sheikhupura 1996/97
6-204 IAR Peebles England v Australia The Oval 1930
3-202 MH Mankad India v West Indies Mumbai (BS) 1948/49
6-202 Haseeb Ahsan Pakistan v India Chennai 1960/61
4-200 DL Vettori New Zealand v India Ahmedabad 1999/00

You would think that if you had gone for 0-259, the captain might have the idea of taking you off :undecided:

[Edited on 9/7/02 by Rich2001]

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, worst Test pacer of all time is probably Patterson Thompson of the WI. He came here in 1996/07 as someone who had some serious pace and whilst his first 5 overs WERE quick, the rest were terrible and he didn't have much else, especially not discipline, line, length etc. Y'know, the important stuff. :D

I think Agarkar is just going through a tough time, honestly. Someone who bowled as well as he did in OZ can't be completely untalented. It must be a matter of the mind.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Yeah Agarkar had a nice tour of aus, and was the best Indian bowler in that tour.

As far as I understand 'the worst pacer ever' is a expression used loosely, and the bowlers dont need to comply with any statistics, or definition. All bowlers who played considerable cricket had a few good matches/series somewhere, Agarkar, Madan Lal, but if at some point in their career they were unusually ordinary, or the impression of them bowling half volleys (madan lal) or long hops sticks in fans' minds, they qualify. Hence I said Madan Lal, as I am sure he had good matches and bowled gutsily, but the impression that sticks in my mind is him bowling 6 half volleys in an over!

Rashid Khan from Pak, Mohanty from India, Ehtesham Uddin from Pak, also come to mind of the top of my head. C McDermott and Derek Pringle also were pretty ordinary for a large part of their careers, but towards the end of their career they became formidable bowlers, McDermott was always fast and later on he developed his outswinger which was very effective. Although my most vivid memory of D Pringle is in the 189 innings of Viv, Pringle getting thrashed all voer the park like all other bowlers, but later on in his career he was a very good ODI bowler, very stingy wit runs.

[Edited on 9/7/02 by royGilchrist]

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Its Prasad for mine, a very ordinary bowler, i dunno if ganguly counts because he doesnt really bowl pace, just slow crap.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
I have always been a big Prasad fan, after Kapil he has been a genuine swing bowler that India has produced, wasnt tear away pace by any means, but on his day could give as much trouble to batsmen as any.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
nah you couldn't even call some of the NZ bowlers from 1993-1996 pace bowlers..they were hopeless, I thank my lucky stars we don't have to endure those days at the moment.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Guys stop bickering over agarkar..

He is like schumacher,jordan , sampras et.al...he towers over all the crap bowlers as the crappiest one.. :(!

Pick the next worst...
Alex Tudor.