• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst team batting performances

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Records | Test matches | Team records | Lowest innings totals | ESPN Cricinfo

Of the ones that I have seen, Australia's performance today must be right up there

It wasn't just the fact Oz mustered 60 in the shortest test first innings on record but also how totally inept was the batting in the face of an attack that literally only bowled 8 deliveries that were going to hit the stumps (:laugh: - that also must be a record)

In modern times, I definitely rank it below our 47 at Cape Town (SA had a great attack for those conditions and the pitch was ****) and the Kiwis' 45 (horrible, demoralised batting lineup)

There have also been some terrible batting performances on flat decks (e.g. us at Adelaide in 2010 (?)) but at least somebody stood up in those matches whilst our top scorer was sundries ffs

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Records | Test matches | Team records | Lowest innings totals | ESPN Cricinfo

Of the ones that I have seen, Australia's performance today must be right up there

It wasn't just the fact Oz mustered 60 in the shortest test first innings on record but also how totally inept was the batting in the face of an attack that literally only bowled 8 deliveries that were going to hit the stumps (:laugh: - that also must be a record)

In modern times, I definitely rank it below our 47 at Cape Town (SA had a great attack for those conditions and the pitch was ****) and the Kiwis' 45 (horrible, demoralised batting lineup)

There have also been some terrible batting performances on flat decks (e.g. us at Adelaide in 2010 (?)) but at least somebody stood up in those matches whilst our top scorer was sundries ffs
Pakistan's 52 and 59 in Sharjah right up there in hall of shame. 49 all out in SA was pretty bad too

91Jmay

International Coach
England in Kingston was an embarrassment. Horrid, turgid stuff.
Benn took 4fer. Benn.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India were pretty embarrassing in the last two tests in England last year, although this 60 allout probably trumps those

But I'm with smali, Pak 53 and 59 in Sharjah was the worst I've seen, because that pitch was flat. Pakistan just wilted in the heat and Warne kept bowling straight sliders and they kept missing them. It was woeful.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year

I think the Australian batting post 2010 has been the worst that I have seen from Australian sides

fredfertang

Grim as the scorecard looks I still don't think Australia are that bad - they hit a perfect storm of good bowling conditions, Broad on a hot streak, superb fielding and a lack of confidence - not convinced England would have done a great deal better if they had batted first

Xuhaib

International Coach
India were pretty embarrassing in the last two tests in England last year, although this 60 allout probably trumps those

But I'm with smali, Pak 53 and 59 in Sharjah was the worst I've seen, because that pitch was flat. Pakistan just wilted in the heat and Warne kept bowling straight sliders and they kept missing them. It was woeful.
It was very inexperienced batting line up Auwar, Mo Yo and Inzi were all injured. Younis in his 2nd year if Int cricket was the senior most batsmen however I agree watching it was awful to watch.

Flametree

International 12th Man
A couple of the worst I've seen in person were NZ's second innings at Edgbaston in '99 - just a succession of "windy woofs" to throw away a winning position, though the final score was given a faint glimmer of respectability by Doull's late blast. (The collapse in the second innings at the Oval later in the same series was almost worse as the pitch was better, but Cairns rescued it...) And the two innings disgrace against Courtenay Walsh at the Oval in 94/95 I think. I know Walsh was a heck of a bowler, but come on, it was a pitch on which Junior Murray scored a hundred.

mr_mister

We had some awesome bowlers and they had some nuffies playing for them, but The windies posted two totals around 50 (IIRC) in their 99 home series against us and as a kid I was shocked at that. Even more shocked when they actually won a match later on. Made me realise how good Lara was, that's for sure.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
It was very inexperienced batting line up Auwar, Mo Yo and Inzi were all injured. Younis in his 2nd year if Int cricket was the senior most batsmen however I agree watching it was awful to watch.
You didn't enjoy watching Faisal the legend Iqbal?

watson

Banned
This performance is pretty bad, although the West Indies tail did wag at "12 for 7" to carry the side to 25 All Out in 25.3 overs. Incidently, Clyde Walcott's effort was a shocker.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
England in UAE is easily the worst for me.
Yes, especially as it was such an experienced line-up. Dreadful stuff.

Another English contender was the 1st test in the 1977/78 tour of NZ. We'd been set a smallish total to chase in the fourth innings and folded for 64 ao.
Hadlee was playing, and cleaned up our lower order, but he wasn't quite what he would become a couple of years later.

Christchurch in 1983/84 was horrible allround. Our bowling had been rotten on a horrible pitch, but for us not to reach three figures in either innings was shocking, even allowing for Hadlee at the absolute peak of his powers.

Last edited: