• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst short-lived selections

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Australian Ashes selection 2009-2011 produced a lot of these players who are fairly familiar to English fans, unversed in Shield cricket as we are, because of constant replays of the two DVD highlights packages of these two series released here in the United Kingdom: Graham Manou; the wonderfully named Xavier Doherty and Doug Bollinger. At least fans of County Cricket had a passing acquaintance with Doug.

Hilfenhaus and to a lesser degree Ed Cowan had a bit more of a 'go' at it to fully fall in this category but they are other examples of the Australian selection policy during this period of failure.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He got some games in the summer beforehand. him, brett dorey, mitch johnson and stuart clark all got OD games in the summer after the 05 Ashes, i guess as they tried to replace Kasper and Dizzy. Bracken was in the team too but I can't remember if he had already made himself a fixture of the OD team. obviously clark and MJ went further
Bracken must've, I'm certain he was regarded as one of the premier ODI bowlers by the time the 2007 World Cup rolled round.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cracker Holdsworth for the 93 Ashes was way out there, though he never played a test. Genuinely funny man though.

Spikey

Bracken must've, I'm certain he was regarded as one of the premier ODI bowlers by the time the 2007 World Cup rolled round.
He wasn't around the OD set-up (partly due to injury) for the 2003 WC though, and despite his red hot 2004/05 shield summer, he wasn't picked in the Ashes and I'm almost certain he wasn't in the ODers before them. So I'm thinking that 05/06 summer saw Bracken, Johnson, Dorey, Clark and Lewis all get games in their attmpts to re-stock the pace cabinet following Dizzy and Kasper's stock falling (and McGrath having to miss the SA series)

Australian Ashes selection 2009-2011 produced a lot of these players who are fairly familiar to English fans, unversed in Shield cricket as we are, because of constant replays of the two DVD highlights packages of these two series released here in the United Kingdom: Graham Manou; the wonderfully named Xavier Doherty and Doug Bollinger. At least fans of County Cricket had a passing acquaintance with Doug.

Hilfenhaus and to a lesser degree Ed Cowan had a bit more of a 'go' at it to fully fall in this category but they are other examples of the Australian selection policy during this period of failure.
There's a difference between mostly correct selections that didn't work and "Worst short-lived selections" though. Of all those names, only Doherty qualifies for the second imo, and even then in that same series Beer, who I named above, was a far worse one

Burgey

Gavin Robertson.

The worst part of his selection was he lives off it in order to get paid to give his opinion on a radio sports show in Sydney every arvo.

Was also a ********* Dundas United Premier League soccer player in the early-mid 90s ftr.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Doug Bollinger averaged 25 with the ball in his 12 tests hardly worthy of this thread at all

OverratedSanity

Gavin Robertson.

The worst part of his selection was he lives off it in order to get paid to give his opinion on a radio sports show in Sydney every arvo.

Was also a ********* Dundas United Premier League soccer player in the early-mid 90s ftr.
He outbowled Warne that series, though that's not saying much.

OverratedSanity

Ganguly's dibbly dobblies were incredibly OP. Especially if you pitched it so short that it bounced twice before reaching the batsman.

Daemon

Ganguly's dibbly dobblies were incredibly OP. Especially if you pitched it so short that it bounced twice before reaching the batsman.
We're talking ICC not EA Sports cricket you noob.

But yes, I used to get teams all out for 0 with Ponting and Hayden opening the bowling using that tactic.

vcs

We're talking ICC not EA Sports cricket you noob.

But yes, I used to get teams all out for 0 with Ponting and Hayden opening the bowling using that tactic.
Ganguly's straight hits in EA Cricket are awesome. Once he gets going, he hits massive sixes.

CapeTown Guy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Following on from Bryce McGain, I'll add another rubbish leggie to the equation - Rawl Lewis.

Except he doesn't really fit the criteria - somehow they kept on selecting him: 5 Tests in four different series over 11 years, equally **** each time.

SeamUp

International Coach
Such a good 1999 CWC for Gavin Hamilton and Scotland.

The consequence. England selection and a pair on debut. Your only two test innings.