• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Player to Play 100 Tests?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Think it's fairly likely he'd have played for all Test teams barring maybe Australia for the majority of his career. While he'd never be the frontline spinner for Pakistan/SL/India he'd be the best allrounder they have. Could also see him slotting into the Aussie teams as a second spinner on Asia tours during his earlier years and as more of an all-rounder post 2009.

He'd probably have had 100 Tests for everyone except Bangers (who don't play enough) and Australia. He'd still have maybe got a pretty solid 30-50 though.
He would have been a dead set regular if he played for SL. 2nd spinner in SL, all rounder in overseas. He is miles better than Chandana or Dharmasena, with bat and ball, and Herath with the bat (roughly equal with the ball)

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The difference being, of course, that unlike O'Keefe he could actually bowl tweakers and his batting wasn't pure uncut mythology.
O'Keefe averaged low-20s in the Shield and didn't get a proper shot until 2016-ish. I highly doubt Vettori would have done better so there's every chance he wouldn't have even gotten a shot.

a massive zebra

International Captain
He would have been a dead set regular if he played for SL. 2nd spinner in SL, all rounder in overseas. He is miles better than Chandana or Dharmasena, with bat and ball, and Herath with the bat (roughly equal with the ball)
Vettori roughly equal to Herath with the ball? Really? Never thought of Vettori as a matchwinner, which Herath clearly is.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
O'Keefe averaged low-20s in the Shield and didn't get a proper shot until 2016-ish. I highly doubt Vettori would have done better so there's every chance he wouldn't have even gotten a shot.
Don't think Vettori has the same drinking problems as O'Keefe though

Top_Cat

Michael Beer jagged a Test before O'Keefe...

Flametree

International 12th Man
Worth noting that if Vettori played his career with DRS, then his average would have been substantially lower. Can't recall any bowler less likely to win a front-foot lbw than him despite the fact that he didn't turn it all that much (John Emburey might be in with a shout here, and Tuffers might put his hand up too...). And can remember some insanely bad decisions off him - Herschelle Gibbs once swept him from a yard outside his pads straight to leg slip and it somehow didn't get given.

TheJediBrah

Michael Beer jagged a Test before O'Keefe...
The major flaw in my logic. Sure, O'Keefe wasn't given a chance, but every other spinner in Australian cricket did.

Even if Vettori didn't suffer from selectors ignoring him like O'Keefe, there's every chance he'd have gotten 1 or 2 Tests and been dropped forever after not taking bulk wickets like most other spinners during that time period.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hoopers 178 against Pakistan in 1993 was a mach winning marathon. Put 130 with Courtney Walsh for the last wicket. Yes folks, Courtney Walsh it is.
Except they didn't win the match.
Fun fact, Aravinda de Silva averages 36.3 when McGrath played (Warne played in all of them), compared to 47 ll together against Aus. Never dismissed by McGrath in tests or ODIs.
:laugh:

I wish I could just create my own realities. I'm not very fond of this one.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Vettori roughly equal to Herath with the ball? Really? Never thought of Vettori as a matchwinner, which Herath clearly is.
Vettori had done extremely well on SL wickets. Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo

Vettori averages 26.4 against Lankan batsmen who were pretty good against spin. Herath averages 23.4, mostly bowling to not-so good batsmen against spin (yes he sent Indian line up rolling a time or two). Away from sub continent Vettori has done better than Herath. So I would give them a tie. You could argue otherwise, because Heath takes them in bunches and wins matches. But that may be the exact reason he was not a good foil for Murali. On that aspect Vettori would be the ideal spinner to partner Murali.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The regular kind, and the Migara-reality kind. In Migara-reality all Sri Lankan players are about twice as good as they actually are
Vaas don't even make the top 30 pacers from world. But he absolutely destroyed some players. Atherton, Chris Gayle and Fleming were the best examples. So it is not surprising that McGrath and Ambrose to destroy Atherton.

trundler

Don't buy that. Generally 2 alphas are better than one unless Murali was overly concerned about his WPM.

91Jmay

International Coach
Vettori is probably as good as O'Keefe now - ridiculous to say he wouldn't do better in his prime.