• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst over ever?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, we know, it was a horror-story. Not entirely certain it needs a new thread. In fact, there very possibly might be one already - maybe even five or six - back somewhere through the history of the forum.

cover drive man

International Captain
Yes, we know, it was a horror-story. Not entirely certain it needs a new thread. In fact, there very possibly might be one already - maybe even five or six - back somewhere through the history of the forum.
Richard the official cw-wiki.

Actually after last time:unsure:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Interestingly, there have actually only ever been 3 previous passing mentions of Boswell's name on CW, all over no more than a couple of posts.

Last edited:

neville cardus

International Debutant
Boswell actually had a fair time of it prior to that humiliation. In the semi-final against Lancashire, he picked up Atherton, Flintoff, Fairbrother and Lloyd in a ten-over spell which cost just 44. In the final, a medley of the occasion, nervous tension, clammy palms and those inexplicable scourges called "the yips" did for him. He played only one more match for Leicestershire, crying off after a single over (which yielded eighteen runs) before losing his burgeoning contract and becoming a teacher.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Boswell actually had a fair time of it prior to that humiliation. In the semi-final against Lancashire, he picked up Atherton, Flintoff, Fairbrother and Lloyd in a ten-over spell which cost just 44. In the final, a medley of the occasion, nervous tension, clammy palms and those inexplicable scourges called "the yips" did for him. He played only one more match for Leicestershire, crying off after a single over (which yielded eighteen runs) before losing his burgeoning contract and becoming a teacher.
I recall that over for 18, very well. It was possibly an even worse effort than the 2-24-0.

TBH, never rated Boswell, at all, and was very surprised when he managed that 10-44-4 in the semi.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, the over I was thinking about was in an ODI match, the first over of the match. This is when Tuffey was in a controversy over a video tape and he just appeared to lose it.
Well UIMM, Tuffey didn't play for 2 years after said affaire. So not sure it was directly linked to it. :unsure:

Days of Grace

International Captain
He did, trust me. It was in an 5 match ODI series between NZ-Aust. in about 2005 (just before the chappell-hadlee series started). If I can be bothered later, I will dig up the scorecard.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Said NZ-Aus series was in February 2005. Said ***ual encounter was in March. And Tuffey didn't play again until February 2007.

Days of Grace

International Captain
No. I remember the ***ual controversy was a big rumour going around. Tuffey was affected, and thus he bowled absolute rubbish, and was never the same bowler again.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
No. I remember the ***ual controversy was a big rumour going around. Tuffey was affected, and thus he bowled absolute rubbish, and was never the same bowler again.
Actually I think that the public knowing about the incident regarding the tape was a week or so after the ODI and just happened to coincide with his dropping from the side? Also I'm pretty sure the actual incident occured several weeks before the Australia series so I don't think the two are necessarily related.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't Andrew Penn bowl a shocking over once?
vs Sri Lanka in 2001 (funnily enough he didn't play another international):
http://nz.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2000-01/SL_IN_NZ/SCORECARDS/SL_NZ_ODI1_31JAN2001.html

Check out his second over in the ball-by-ball commentary.

Also I remember reading something in the most recent Offspin about an appalling over in an ODI from Mohammad Sami a few years back that lasted about the same number of deliveries as Tuffey's.

Redbacks

International Captain
can remember in the 03 WC Final the first (maybe second) over going for 17 runs or so. That was a big start for Australia, taking the initial pressure off big time!