• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Coach In Cricket

Anna

International Vice-Captain
I've no idea if this has been done before....Anyway.

At the moment, I'd say Andy Hurry :dry:

Last edited:

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
What about John Bracewell? Didn't understand his tactics last summer re the openers. Didn't see why he persisted for so long with an out of form Hamish Marshall. Never understand his reports to the media.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
armchairumpire said:
What about John Bracewell? Didn't understand his tactics last summer re the openers. Didn't see why he persisted for so long with an out of form Hamish Marshall. Never understand his reports to the media.

I don't even know if Bracewell understands what he's saying half the time.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Voltman said:
I don't even know if Bracewell understands what he's saying half the time.
I don't know if you've read this article, but I found these two paragraphs interesting:
Nasser Hussain said:
If the captain-coach relationship is not working, then you have problems. Take New Zealand, for example. This is only a gut feeling as an external observer but my impression is that Stephen Fleming was a better captain of New Zealand when he ran the whole team before John Bracewell became coach. He was an instinctive, dynamic and subtle captain. His body language at slip was good and, when you went out to bat, you would always be wondering why he had put certain fielders in certain positions. When they went close to beating Australia in 2001-02 his field settings were superb.

Bracewell is an imposing and reportedly abrasive character. He has his men that he likes and the men that he doesn't. He'll be very strong on selection issues and it seems to me that has made Fleming consciously or subconsciously take a backward step. I remember vividly how astonished I was during my last Test innings at Lord's in 2004 that Fleming just allowed us to coast to victory. There were no unusual field placings or weird bowling changes; he just stood there at slip. The 'old' Fleming would have tried something stupid like having Craig McMillan bowl six bouncers an over. It might be harsh on him but it seems he has let Bracewell take over and the critical mass in the dressing room has shifted towards the coach. Fleming is too good a captain to let this happen. This is where the captain may feel that, because of all the forward planning and technology, he is just the man put out on the field to carry out the coach's plans.

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
Bracewell by far. I was quite against him before but after reading that article yesterday I'm sure of it. His, and NZC's apparent focus on ODI cricket is disturbing from my traditionalist viewpoint.