• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World XI to Beat India at Home

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sanjay Manjrekar, VVS Laxman, and Graeme Smith just had a go at this.

They came up with:

Elgar
Tamim/Warner
Williamson
Smith
Root/Azam
Stokes
Shakib
de Kock +
Cummins
Archer
Lyon

My XI:

Elgar
Azhar Ali
Williamson
Smith
Root
Shakib
de Kock +
Holder
Cummins
Abbas
Lyon

Not too sure about Cummins over Boult.

Edit: Going for Elgar as well. Karunaratne, Tamim, Warner all have terrible records in India.

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Harris
Maddinson
Pucovski
Handscomb
Maxwell
Short
Harper
Pattinson
Tremain
Holland
Siddle

They'd beat them in some embarassing department, that's all that counts.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Can we pick Bumrah, Vihari etc?

1 Azhar Ali
2 Dean Elgar
3 Kane Williamson
4 Steve Smith
5 Ben Stokes
6 Shakib al Hasan
7 Mushfiqur Rahim
8 Dhananjaya de Silva
9 Pat Cummins
10 Nathan Lyon
11 Mohammad Abbas

If/when India make runs, id like to see 10 bowlers have a bowl.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Root (pretty much useless atm but good at playing any kind of bowling. might as well open)
Elgar
Williamson
Smith
Stokes
Shakib
Kock
Holder
Cummins
Rabada
Lyon

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Karunaratne
Williamson
Smith
Root
Nichols
Shakib
Mushfiqur
Holder
Rabada
Cummins
Lyon

Abbas a bit rough to miss out but I think rabada and Cummins are locks for a world XI in any conditions. Would've gone for stokes but holder's superior bowling would probably add more to the side. Hopefully with Smith there to score the hundreds, Root's pretty looking fifties on roads will be good enough. Would give India a tough fight but I'm not sure there are enough guys in there apart from Smith who really know how to pile on the pain in good conditions.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Karunaratne, Elgar, Williamson*, Smith, Root, Stokes, Watling, Cummins, Shah, Lyon, Anderson

India would be heavy favourites.

Last edited:

Jack1

International Debutant
Good thread I’ll think about it later. 5 tests on raging turners I’m assuming ?

Jack1

International Debutant
1. Latham
2. Williamson (c)
3. Root
4. Smith
5. Stokes
6. Bairstow (wk)
7. Buttler
8. Pattinson
9. Hazlewood
10. Lyon
11. O'Keefe

I think this team has a good chance. I didn't count Yasir Shah, but he's an option if he can play in the game. But realistically I don't think Pakistan players could be eligible for the match/series to happen. In a 5 match series I think this team has a good chance personally in what would be a battle of attrition. The four man attack plus Stokes would give you attrition with the ball and the batting I consider good enough to be competitive. O'Keefe is really dangerous on turning pitches, as his record vs India suggests. It's decent in the field too.

Jack1

International Debutant
Buttler and Pattinson?
I picked them because:

Buttler 38.5 ave v India in India - 6 inn, overall ave at 7 is 33.9 and general average is upward trending. Competiive player in all formats the rest of team would respect.

Pattinson 17 bat v Ind (26.73 career) and 27.77 ball (econ 3.11) (overall 26.64 and 3.26) - fierce competitor, knows the rest of bowling attack bar Stokes. Pattinson and Stokes are good options in a battle of attrition. If they have the ball they will give their all.

All things considered these players are good for morale outside their stats. I didn't consider anyone that played less than 3 tests v India and wouldn't if I picked a real team to play them (you) either. I think the fact this team all speaks English as the first language, has the strongest captain in world cricket (and he can cooperate with Root and Smith if needed tactically) makes it pretty strong. Problem being that even though this is the strongest side (imo) I still look at it vs India and think a 5 match series is going to be marginally India as bookies favourite.

edit-btw the fact they all speak English in the first language is a pure coincidental bonus, but I think it helps the chemistry of the side.

who would u replace with out of interest

Last edited: