• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Politics Thread

Spark

Global Moderator
It's a good thing the leaders of the two countries in question are known for their calmness and stability...

zorax

likes this
I don't think Russia are going to respond too strongly. They're under plenty of scrutiny as it is. Words will be said and a grudge may be formed, and there quite possibly will be sanctions, but I doubt anything serious will come of this at the moment.

Bahnz

International Coach
So what does everyone think of the Paris Climate accord?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/14/o...side-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region&_r=0

Can't deny that I'm more than a little cynical about the whole thing. Governments can talk all they want about committing to a renewables future and reducing CO2 emmissions. But the problem as I see it, is simply one of consumption. Too many people driving too many cars, eating too much food and buying too much ****. Ultimately until everyone accepts that we need to start consuming a lot less, then we're not going to address the root problem. But I don't see it (quite the opposite in fact - with billions of people in developing countries aspiring to the same developed lifestyle).

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think climate change has a political solution. It's nice of the politicians to pretend they can get all 7 billion of us to merrily stick together and do our bit, but the truth is it'll have to be innovation. Of course it's possible that the tech that could fix it isn't even theoretically possible, in which case we're all doomed.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Well it's theoretically possible to imagine a world with smaller energy consumption than today. Such a world probably has a huge black market in energy sources, though.

indiaholic

International Captain
I don't think climate change has a political solution. It's nice of the politicians to pretend they can get all 7 billion of us to merrily stick together and do our bit, but the truth is it'll have to be innovation. Of course it's possible that the tech that could fix it isn't even theoretically possible, in which case we're all doomed.
Don't you feel an instrument such as a carbon tax would help? Technology would be the major driver for change but policy can shift the incentives for the kind of technological changes we need.

zorax

likes this
Bit pessimistic. The tech is well on its way. If the governments are comitted to it, the R&D will receive a boost and implementation will be encouraged.

Increased discourse on the topic, more education, more awareness, and people will begin to adopt lifestyle changes to help out too.

I don't think climate change will **** humanity over. I think we will be able to respond to it and adapt in due time. There will be storms, deaths, and a lot of lobbying and propoganda BS from the fossil fuel industries...but the truth will win out and mankind will evolve. But maybe I'm too optimistic.

Bahnz

International Coach
I think the international nature of the problem is a big obstacle. I've lost count of the number of comments I've read in the last couple weeks moaning that "well India and China are burning mountains of coal so there's no point in us doing anything."

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't you feel an instrument such as a carbon tax would help? Technology would be the major driver for change but policy can shift the incentives for the kind of technological changes we need.
Oh yeah I'm 100% in favour of carbon taxes, but the Econ debate was resolved in favour of them thirty years ago and they still haven't been introduced. The collective action problems that prevent the world from getting serious about climate change are at play here too, on a smaller scale.