• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Politics Thread

StephenZA

International Coach
South Africa's Jacob Zuma down but not quite out - BBC News

"To us he is an innocent man, he is a champion for economic transformation of this country," said Thanduxolo Sabelo, the ANC Youth League provincial secretary in KwaZulu-Natal.
"President Zuma represents the majority of the people in this country who remain in poverty whom we believe, as our champion, will be able to uplift us from poverty."
Terrifying the things I hear sometimes.

watson

Banned
Because politics is always downstream of race and culture.......

Jakarta's Christian governor Ahok found guilty in Islam blasphemy trial

An Indonesian court has sentenced the minority Christian governor of Jakarta to two years in prison for blaspheming the Koran at a trial that undermined the country's reputation for practicing a moderate form of Islam.

In a tense trial that was widely seen as a test of religious tolerance in the world's largest Muslim-majority nation, Basuki Tjahaja Purnama, also known as Ahok, was "found to have legitimately and convincingly conducted a criminal act of blasphemy, and because of that we have imposed two years of imprisonment", head judge Dwiarso Budi Santiarto told the court.

Ahok was charged with blasphemy after he said clerics had used a Koranic verse to mislead voters by telling them that Muslims were not allowed to vote for a Christian.

He has denied wrongdoing, and said he was not criticising the Koran, but rather the clerics' interpretation of the verse.

The sentence was harsher than expected and will come as a shock to many of his supporters. TV news coverage of the scene outside the court showed some supporters weeping.

Jakarta's Christian governor Ahok found guilty in Islam blasphemy trial - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Jordan shoots down drone near its border with Syria. Possibly belonging to Hezbollah.

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2017/05/10/Jordan-downs-a-drone-north-of-the-kingdom-.html

I know it doesn't sound significant but I think it possibly is. I've been thinking for a while that Jordan is really the only credible player - even if it's obviously going to be a proxy for the US - that can possibly end this war.

The problem is some estimates put the Hezbollah force in Syria at around 150K, which is just far too big to overcome quickly.

StephenZA

International Coach
I agree that Jordan is probably the most likely to help sort the mess out... but they seem to be the go to guys in the region when these problems crop up and how much can they be expected to handle. Even as a US puppet.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm including all of the Iran-backed militias in that. So not really Hezbollah, tbh. Sorry, that was probably misleading.
Ah yeah that would do it. Most of those Shia militias are more Iraqi (and Afghan) than Hezbollah proper iirc. And ofc the IRGC is there in strength too.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Ah yeah that would do it. Most of those Shia militias are more Iraqi (and Afghan) than Hezbollah proper iirc. And ofc the IRGC is there in strength too.
It's kinda tempting to speculate that they'd just GTFO if the US launched an invasion through Jordan. Dunno whether that's completely wishful thinking.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
One of the more graphic videos of the Khan Sheikhoun chemical weapons attack.

@1:30 you may lose all faith in humanity.

Spark

Global Moderator
More likely that they'd take the opportunity to, yet again, cause low-cost chaos against US forces on lands said US forces don't really know.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
More likely that they'd take the opportunity to, yet again, cause low-cost chaos against US forces on lands said US forces don't really know.
Will they continue to get a salary for that, though? And if so, will it be worth it to them?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
A7rar leaving border towns for Turkish police to take control...Feasibly a good thing...feasibly a bit worrying for the Kurds...

Hayat Ta7rir AKA Nusra has also been making all sorts of callouts...not exactly sure who they're lining up with now...very much anti Ahrar (the guys above), which probably also means they're not gonna get on too well with Turkey soon. And obviously they're not fans of the Kurds either.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Hayat Ta7rir AKA Nusra making all sorts of callouts...not exactly sure who they're lining up with now...
Did they change their name again without me noticing, or is this you just making a point about lack of differentiation?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Did they change their name again without me noticing, or is this you just making a point about lack of differentiation?
they changed a few months ago.

It's convenient for everyone because we can now call them Hetesh

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
US Air strikes hit Kita'b Imam Ali group on highway between Damascus and Baghdad. Kita'b Imam Ali is (at least nominally) a group that US has consented to help remove ISIL from Mosul...you couldn't make this up.

That Damascus/Baghdad highway is where Iran is trying to concentrate its affiliated troops. US/Jordan doing the same.

woah...