• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Nostalgia Thread

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1974 - we didn't qualify thanks to that bloody Polish goalkeeper - I couldn't quite believe it but had to support someone so chose Haiti over Scotland - the Haitians lost all three games but a bloke called Emanuel Sanon scored two wonderful goals, and for a few minutes in their first game they led Italy - the Scots were a bit unlucky in truth - got a draw with Brazil, but still couldn't get through the group stages - but they were there

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
1974 - we didn't qualify thanks to that bloody Polish goalkeeper - I couldn't quite believe it but had to support someone so chose Haiti over Scotland - the Haitians lost all three games but a bloke called Emanuel Sanon scored two wonderful goals, and for a few minutes in their first game they led Italy - the Scots were a bit unlucky in truth - got a draw with Brazil, but still couldn't get through the group stages - but they were there
Scotland were a bit unlucky not to beat Brazil iirc. Drew 0-0 and saw a close range shot from Bremner creep outside the post with the keeper no-where. That being said, they probably sat back a bit when leading 2-0 against Zaire instead of doing a Yugoslavia and pushing on and scoring a truck-load. And then Brazil scored 3 due to the Zaire keeper's incompetence and that was that - out on goal difference. Only unbeaten side in the tournament, I think. And easily their best performance in a WC.

Like almost everyone else I was gobsmacked by Holland in that tournament and disappointed as hell when they lost the final. I also like Poland actually, despite them knocking us out.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Had never heard this commentary before, so so good. British commentary is so much worse than it used to be.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

Had never heard this commentary before, so so good. British commentary is so much worse than it used to be.
Barry Davies' version was even better - 'and you have to say that's just magnificent'.
I think that clip may have had the radio commentary attached to it.

And yes, you're dead right about the declining standard of British commentators.