• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup - educate me!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Brazil won in South Korea in 2002, right? I can't really watch without picking a side. Obviously rooting for the US in the games they play (poms going down first up :p), but have to pick other teams too.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Brazil won in South Korea in 2002, right? I can't really watch without picking a side. Obviously rooting for the US in the games they play (poms going down first up :p), but have to pick other teams too.
You cant have a 2nd team until the US goes out, no?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol Brumby.

The least accurate comparison was England being England IMO. The England football team is more like the England cricket team's evil twin.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Is there a good place where I can find the overview of tournament rules? Like how many teams advance, how the points work, when they carry over, overtime type rules, etc?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
8 groups of 4, all play all once. 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw.

Top 2 go through to the last 16 then straight knock out.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Is there a good place where I can find the overview of tournament rules? Like how many teams advance, how the points work, when they carry over, overtime type rules, etc?
What do you need to know?

To answer your questions:

2 teams advance from each group;

3 points for a win, 1 for a draw;

none carry over, all rounds after group stage are straight knock-out;

in the group stage if teams are level after 90 minutes each get a point, thereafter they will play 30 mins of extra time (15 minutes each way) and if the tie isn't broken penalty kicks will decide. Each team gets 5 penalties and if they're still level it moves to sudden death where the first team to score when the opposition fails to advances.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fascinating to see. Love how the entire team looks like extras from The Godfather too. Fair to say camera work has improve along with pitches tho. My first thought was the "Old Football Was Shyte" feature Baddiel and Skinner used to do on their World Cup Fantasy Football shows. :ph34r:

The cup caught my eye too; the trophy being help aloft on the lap of honour didn't look like the old Jules Rimet to me...?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Fascinating to see. Love how the entire team looks like extras from The Godfather too. Fair to say camera work has improve along with pitches tho. My first thought was the "Old Football Was Shyte" feature Baddiel and Skinner used to do on their World Cup Fantasy Football shows. :ph34r:

The cup caught my eye too; the trophy being help aloft on the lap of honour didn't look like the old Jules Rimet to me...?
You wouldn't mess with them, would you? The other thing that struck me early in the clip was how old some of them looked.

I know what you mean about the standard - the goalies looked expecially weak to me. Did you ever see a Harry Enfield sketch about 1930's Liverpool vs 1990's Liverpool?

As for the trophy, I'd be surpirsed if it wasn't Jules Rimet, and I think I've seen stills of them holding that after the game. Or maybe it was the Uruguay peseident holding the JM trophy. Perhaps they didn't trust the players to run around with it?

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You wouldn't mess with them, would you? The other thing that struck me early in the clip was how old some of them looked.

I know what you mean about the standard - the goalies looked expecially weak to me. Did you ever see a Harry Enfield sketch about 1930's Liverpool vs 1990's Liverpool?

As for the trophy, I'd be surpirsed if it wasn't Jules Rimet, and I think I've seen stills of them holding that after the game. Or maybe it was the Uruguay peseident holding the JM trophy. Perhaps they didn't trust the players to run around with it?
I loled
YouTube - Harry Enfield - Arsenal Vs Liverpool - Final Score 11-10

Uppercut

Yea, I'll definitely be rooting for England
Who you support in England's group matches will be largely determined by what's best for the yanks though.

Hopefully by the time it gets to the second round you'll have realised the English football team is inherently evil and must be stopped at all costs.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
It might help if I compare some of the main players to their cricketing equivalents. Any offence caused is entirely deliberate... :ph34r:

Brazil are like The West Indies from 1975-1996 - i.e. back when they were good. For Calypso Cricket read Samba Soccer; like the Windies the Brazilians play with a style and a rhythm all of their own. Beautiful to watch but they can seriously **** you over too. Everyone's second favourite team.

Germany are like Australia - Traditional rivals of the English with the rivalry more keenly felt on the English side. Have generally had the better of things v the poms/Englanders (for Australia from 1989-2005 read Germany from 1966-2000) but have suffered a few losses to Albion of late. Don't have the greatest team in their proud history currently but only a fool would write them off.

The Netherlands are like Pakistan - Produce as many or more lavishly talented players as anyone else, but seem to spend almost as much time fighting themselves as the opposition. Pioneered revolutionary techniques (total football and reverse swing) much copied but other countries, but seldom equalled. Their best team in their histories (for Pakistan in the 1980s see Holland in the 1970s) couldn't quite become the best in the world.

Portugal are like Sri Lanka - A talented side but the size of their home nation means they'll probably always face an uphill struggle to become #1. Both almost certainly have a player called Da Silva somewhere in their squad. Their star performers talented but divisive figures who spent many years playing their home games at Old Trafford.

Spain are like India - The sleeping giants possibly finally awakening. Given the talent at their disposal and the passion for the sport in the country it's amazing it's taken this long to mount a serious challenge to the top spot. If things go **** up now the various regions will all blame each other.

England are like England - Have a long history of underperforming but are slowly being lead back to respectability by wily foreigners after ruinous tenures by hapless native coaches. Have only ever once been briefly the top dogs since WW2 (1966 & 1953) and their star performers are tattooed chavs with daft accents who're under injury clouds currently. Guaranteed to lose gallantly against decent oppostion away from Enlish shores.
:laugh: Sensational stuff Brumby.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Who you support in England's group matches will be largely determined by what's best for the yanks though.

Hopefully by the time it gets to the second round you'll have realised the English football team is inherently evil and must be stopped at all costs.
Went to an Irish Pub yesterday. The salt content in the beef stew was enough to pay several Roman legions. So now I'm sick and I can't root for them :p, especially as even in the US we heard about the Thierry Henry handball scandal, and it was hilarious.

Uppercut

Just how Irish was this Irish pub though? If you're ever in the same city as me I will make you a glorious Irish stew that will forever turn you against the English football team.