• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup - educate me!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So I'm going to have free time this summer and I'll try watching the event. What teams are the most exciting to watch generally?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do you follow football generally? Depends on your football-watching tastes.

Do you go for teams with the biggest stars? If so, Argentina might be the team for you - Lionel Messi will be trying to emulate Maradona's feats from the 1986 WC with Maradona coaching the team (or sabotaging it, as some might say :ph34r:). Or Cristiano Ronaldo, the fiercely individual star who cares for nothing but individual glory, but is capable of dragging his team Portugal along with him.

Do you prefer an aesthetic footballing philosophy based on technique, passing and ball retention? Then Spain might be the team for you, with the midfield maestros Xavi, Iniesta and Alonso orchestrating everything. Or do you prefer a quick, counter-attacking style based on defensive solidity with players capable of scoring with some individual brilliance? Then go for Brazil, Germany or England. Do you prefer a team that turns defense and tactical intelligence into a fine art? Go for Italy. You might support an African team if you prefer to watch incredible athleticism trying to beat out the more tactically experienced teams with an entire continent cheering them on.

I am going for Netherlands, because they offer a decent mix of all the above qualities - they play with excellent technique, flair, and not overly reliant on any individual stars - but they often underperform on the big stage.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Argentina or Netherlands I think would be the best to watch. Argentina have the cheating druggie as manager so they won't be much cop at defending.

Spain are the like the international version of the CDMs. Look great when teams are rolling over and having their tummy tickled, so if you see Spain playing against unprofessional, weak defensive sides then you might get to see Spain trash someone like that 4/5 nil.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I need to get my mind out of the gutter. Every time I see this thread I read "educate" as something else entirely at first.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
So I'm going to have free time this summer and I'll try watching the event. What teams are the most exciting to watch generally?
It might help if I compare some of the main players to their cricketing equivalents. Any offence caused is entirely deliberate... :ph34r:

Brazil are like The West Indies from 1975-1996 - i.e. back when they were good. For Calypso Cricket read Samba Soccer; like the Windies the Brazilians play with a style and a rhythm all of their own. Beautiful to watch but they can seriously **** you over too. Everyone's second favourite team.

Germany are like Australia - Traditional rivals of the English with the rivalry more keenly felt on the English side. Have generally had the better of things v the poms/Englanders (for Australia from 1989-2005 read Germany from 1966-2000) but have suffered a few losses to Albion of late. Don't have the greatest team in their proud history currently but only a fool would write them off.

The Netherlands are like Pakistan - Produce as many or more lavishly talented players as anyone else, but seem to spend almost as much time fighting themselves as the opposition. Pioneered revolutionary techniques (total football and reverse swing) much copied but other countries, but seldom equalled. Their best team in their histories (for Pakistan in the 1980s see Holland in the 1970s) couldn't quite become the best in the world.

Portugal are like Sri Lanka - A talented side but the size of their home nation means they'll probably always face an uphill struggle to become #1. Both almost certainly have a player called Da Silva somewhere in their squad. Their star performers talented but divisive figures who spent many years playing their home games at Old Trafford.

Spain are like India - The sleeping giants possibly finally awakening. Given the talent at their disposal and the passion for the sport in the country it's amazing it's taken this long to mount a serious challenge to the top spot. If things go **** up now the various regions will all blame each other.

England are like England - Have a long history of underperforming but are slowly being lead back to respectability by wily foreigners after ruinous tenures by hapless native coaches. Have only ever once been briefly the top dogs since WW2 (1966 & 1953) and their star performers are tattooed chavs with daft accents who're under injury clouds currently. Guaranteed to lose gallantly against decent oppostion away from Enlish shores.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It might help if I compare some of the main players to their cricketing equivalents. Any offence caused is entirely deliberate... :ph34r:

Brazil are like The West Indies from 1975-1996 - i.e. back when they were good. For Calypso Cricket read Samba Soccer; like the Windies the Brazilians play with a style and a rhythm all of their own. Beautiful to watch but they can seriously **** you over too. Everyone's second favourite team.

Germany are like Australia - Traditional rivals of the English with the rivalry more keenly felt on the English side. Have generally had the better of things v the poms/Englanders (for Australia from 1989-2005 read Germany from 1966-2000) but have suffered a few losses to Albion of late. Don't have the greatest team in their proud history currently but only a fool would write them off.

The Netherlands are like Pakistan - Produce as many or more lavishly talented players as anyone else, but seem to spend almost as much time fighting themselves as the opposition. Pioneered revolutionary techniques (total football and reverse swing) much copied but other countries, but seldom equalled. Their best team in their histories (for Pakistan in the 1980s see Holland in the 1970s) couldn't quite become the best in the world.

Portugal are like Sri Lanka - A talented side but the size of their home nation means they'll probably always face an uphill struggle to become #1. Both almost certainly have a player called Da Silva somewhere in their squad. Their star performers talented but divisive figures who spent many years playing their home games at Old Trafford.

Spain are like India - The sleeping giants possibly finally awakening. Given the talent at their disposal and the passion for the sport in the country it's amazing it's taken this long to mount a serious challenge to the top spot. If things go **** up now the various regions will all blame each other.

England are like England - Have a long history of underperforming but are slowly being lead back to respectability by wily foreigners after ruinous tenures by hapless native coaches. Have only ever once been briefly the top dogs since WW2 (1966 & 1953) and their star performers are tattooed chavs with daft accents who're under injury clouds currently. Guaranteed to lose gallantly against decent oppostion away from Enlish shores.
Spot on.