• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup 2019 will be a huge bore-fest

Firebreaker

Banned
Keeping weather aside, I don't see a problem with the format of the tournament.

The only matches that will be boring are some like SL vs WI because you know these teams can't go to semis. All other teams can at least aspire for semi final birth, including NZ, Pak (CT Champions FFS!) and Bangla. And if Afghanistan qualifies as 10th participant then all of their matches will be interesting too (because, Afghanistan :wub: )
Bangladesh cant defeat any team other than NZ,WI and SL.Pak were lucky this time but they wont make it up in next WC as I expect revolt within the team till then and less said about NZ the better.So all matches involving these teams will be boring

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Bangladesh cant defeat any team other than NZ,WI and SL
If I'm not mistaken Bangladesh has recent history of beating all the teams at least once.

Pak were lucky this time but they wont make it up in next WC as I expect revolt within the team till then
Pure conjecture, based on nothing

less said about NZ the better
Boult, Williamson, Guptill, Henry, Ross, Santner - on their days they can achieve anything

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2019 WC will be dull because Australia will win it in a canter like they do more often than not. We had that aberration in 2011 but that aside, you just back them in at WCs. It’s the way of things.

TheJediBrah

2019 WC will be dull because Australia will win it in a canter like they do more often than not. We had that aberration in 2011 but that aside, you just back them in at WCs. It’s the way of things.
That's not how gambhiring works

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
im excited for a totally different format. this giant league rewards success over a long period of time like the '92 WC.

truly am sick of group stages that barely thin the field. it feels like the whole thing is usually pointless as 7 of the top 8 expected teams qualify. One minnow usually sneaks through but we all know they are no chance of winning the thing

making the knockout stage here will for be an achievement for once, the qualifying stage wont be a formality

Last edited:

Firebreaker

Banned
im excited for a totally different format. this giant league rewards success over a long period of time like the '92 WC.

truly am sick of group stages that barely thin the field. it feels like the whole thing is usually pointless as 7 of the top 8 expected teams qualify. One minnow usually sneaks through but we all know they are no chance of winning the thing

making the knockout stage here will for be an achievement for once, the qualifying stage wont be a formality
So do you think that WI,SL,Ban,NZ,Ire/Afg/Zim can win the WC 2019?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Except ironically the overall winners were exceedingly lucky and reliant on the weather to get out of the group and the dominant team in the group stage didn't make the final.

smash84

The Tiger King
Except ironically the overall winners were exceedingly lucky and reliant on the weather to get out of the group and the dominant team in the group stage didn't make the final.
The dominant team of the group stage we're defeated by the eventual champions, twice.

Firebreaker

Banned
As I have already mentioned the fact that same format was and has been used in WWC for eternity and most of the later round robin matches are useless and dead rubbers.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I've never been that arsed about the cricket world cup to be honest. The first few were good with the West Indies in their pomp, and 1992 with England and Pakistan, but since then it has gone down the pan. I do not see the great urgency about the event; Strauss is obsessed with the thing, obsessed with England winning one.

TheJediBrah

I've never been that arsed about the cricket world cup to be honest. The first few were good with the West Indies in their pomp, and 1992 with England and Pakistan, but since then it has gone down the pan. I do not see the great urgency about the event; Strauss is obsessed with the thing, obsessed with England winning one.
What a mysterious phenomenon your reduction in interest in World Cups is. I'm sure it has nothing to do with England doing poorly in them and Australia doing well, so I wonder what it is

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
What a mysterious phenomenon your reduction in interest in World Cups is. I'm sure it has nothing to do with England doing poorly in them and Australia doing well, so I wonder what it is
No doubt that Kennedy posts a lot of gash in this forum.......but this comment/reply is another level of gash imo.

So you're saying he is not interested in WC's because Australia has a great record in them?? Up yourself much? That is the very reason that I do have an interest in WC's......once Eng inevitably go out, watching and waiting for anyone to knock the Aussies off their perch is what WC's are all about......I don't care who it is, so long as someone does it. Granted that has meant that I've been rather disappointed in my WC watching for the most part but that's irrelevant, gets me watching every 4 years.

And ftr, Kennedy's disdain for nearly all things limited overs is well known here, so you really couldn't have aimed your comment at a more wrong poster.

I await your standard "clearly I was joking" response.

cnerd123

likes this
well tbf to TJB he did literally say he was sure that is has 'nothing to do' with the success of Australia/ineptitude of England

:ph34r:

TheJediBrah

No doubt that Kennedy posts a lot of gash in this forum.......but this comment/reply is another level of gash imo.

So you're saying he is not interested in WC's because Australia has a great record in them?? Up yourself much? That is the very reason that I do have an interest in WC's......once Eng inevitably go out, watching and waiting for anyone to knock the Aussies off their perch is what WC's are all about......I don't care who it is, so long as someone does it. Granted that has meant that I've been rather disappointed in my WC watching for the most part but that's irrelevant, gets me watching every 4 years.

And ftr, Kennedy's disdain for nearly all things limited overs is well known here, so you really couldn't have aimed your comment at a more wrong poster.

I await your standard "clearly I was joking" response.
When was the last time you've responded to a comment of mine and not made a complete idiot of yourself? I can't even think of one

How obvious do I have to make it that I'm joking before you actually pick it up. It's mind blowing mang

seriously, next time you think I've posted something that seems really stupid, step back and maybe have a think before responding

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

I shouldn't give him attention, but it's just so confusing. It's like having a crazy 95 year old grandfather in a nursing home constantly getting angry because he thinks the nurses are stealing his pills