• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup 2019 will be a huge bore-fest

Firebreaker

Banned
It may be too early to say this but the proposed format for the 2019 seems like we are in for a huge bore fest.Half of the games would be rained out and you already know that there are some teams which will not get into semi finals for e.g Bangladesh,NZ,Pak,WI,SL and the other qualifier so its basically between 5 teams out of which 4 teams will make it to semis.This same format was demonstrated in Women's World Cup and god that was boring as **** final few rounds in round robin were as useless as air guitar.I would much rather prefer 2 groups and then the knockout instead of this bore

cnerd123

likes this
It may be too early to say this but the proposed format for the 2019 seems like we are in for a huge bore fest.Half of the games would be rained out and you already know that there are some teams which will not get into semi finals for e.g Bangladesh,NZ,Pak,WI,SL and the other qualifier so its basically between 5 teams out of which 4 teams will make it to semis.This same format was demonstrated in Women's World Cup and god that was boring as **** final few rounds in round robin were as useless as air guitar.I would much rather prefer 2 groups and then the knockout instead of this bore
Is it scheduled for June?

cnerd123

likes this
LOL Did you watch CT? Rain was the only reason your team made it to semis
Mere aberration. No one could have ever predicted that it would rain in England in the summer. Especially in June.

This World Cup is going to go ahead under clear sunny skies, believe you me.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
LOL I would be surprised if SL even win one match and NZ were pathetic in CT vs Bangladesh and should be demoted to qualifiers based on that performance alone.
Well yeah, but as a response to that dismal CT campaign, David White and NZC got serious and put Test cricket in the ****ter. Next stop: White ball dominance.

Flem274*

123/5
LOL I would be surprised if SL even win one match and NZ were pathetic in CT vs Bangladesh and should be demoted to qualifiers based on that performance alone.
im cool with this if it means australia and england get test status revoked for also losing to bangladesh in a test match

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Oh you must be mistaken then. We have it on good authority that it never rains in England in June.
It's not that it doesn't rain. It's just that when it stops you have a chance or good drying conditions. Whereas in September it just stays wet. :devil2:

Howe_zat

Audio File
At least Firebreaker is the first person to attempt to complain about the scheduling before it rains.

At least, when it comes to ODIs in England anyway, he's the first. The last time I was assured of storms ruining everything - and how the organisers are all idiots - before a series, was the recent Tests in Bangladesh. Those ended up being fine.

cnerd123

likes this
At least Firebreaker is the first person to attempt to complain about the scheduling before it rains.

At least, when it comes to ODIs in England anyway, he's the first. The last time I was assured of storms ruining everything - and how the organisers are all idiots - before a series, was the recent Tests in Bangladesh. Those ended up being fine.
yesssssss i like that this meme still works at getting a rise from you

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
In the first World Cup in 1975 there was no match affected by rain and the truncated format meant there was jeopardy in most games. At that time there were only 6 top nations and seeing Sri Lanka and East Africa was a pleasant novelty, and ODI's were not as formulaic. As soon as they increased the number of games in 1983 there was inevitably more chance of rain and dead rubbers. By 1992 you could be as bad as Pakistan were in the early stages, get saved by rain and still win the tournament. I preferred the early format but commercially these days it wouldn't make a great deal of sense.

Howe_zat

Audio File
yesssssss i like that this meme still works at getting a rise from you
Well I've ignored it dozens of times, thought I would weigh in to address the point being made here

Bloke is sticking his neck out with an actual opinion after all. It's a **** one, but a different one to that which winds me up.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Keeping weather aside, I don't see a problem with the format of the tournament.

The only matches that will be boring are some like SL vs WI because you know these teams can't go to semis. All other teams can at least aspire for semi final birth, including NZ, Pak (CT Champions FFS!) and Bangla. And if Afghanistan qualifies as 10th participant then all of their matches will be interesting too (because, Afghanistan :wub: )